Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best jeep to buy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I was in a top spec v6 tdi dsg vw amarak recently and it was plenty comfortable.

That said I don't think most could justify the price.

https://youtu.be/vXjnNDBmsPg

I seen an english reg one of these lately parked up outside a local hotel. I apologise to the owner for the drool marks l left down the side of it. Herself wrenched me away from it!! "See the 2 child seats in the back!!" I protested. (Which there was). As if that justified getting one!!

If l win the lotto....!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Any value across the pond? Vrt for commercial is 200 isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Jimmy. wrote: »
    Two oil filters, the injector and sleeve set up in them were a bad design too. Never forget Harris Isuzu with hundreds upon hundreds of Troopers taken in as part of the D max scrappage all set for the scrapper.

You had to be on friendly terms with your Isuzu dealer ( and have the 12 or 15k handy) to get in on that scrappage/swop scheme.

By the time you'd shelled out 1500 euro for a replacement turbo and the necessary injector and sleeve seal changes ( some times twice) not everyone was on talking terms with their dealer!

They were great when they were going, 160 hp(30hp more than the older 3.1's) and easier on diesel.

The scrappage scheme wasnt hard to get. There were lads pulling 3.0s out of ditches not running to scrap them as isuzu never specified they had to be running or road worthy.
    Down around us the minimum value of one became a grand regardless of condition for scrappage.
    Afaik isuzu stook by those engines.
    I know lads who had engines replaced after the injectors failed and the engine killed itself. Also know lads who had injectors replaced free a couple of times under the recall.
    All that said we might have better isuzu dealers down our neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Thought this thread was started to ascertain which make and model of 4x4 ie best. Now it's gone down to which vehicle looks best.. I once had a 03 Mitsubishi l200 warrior crewcab uk spec.
    Jesus it looked savage and had loads of gismos.that the brothers 00nissan pathfinder hadn't..but it wins hands down on the worst by far 4x4 ever made. Only 109bhp.drank diesel 19 mpg.. needed a new engine head after 2 months..then ok for a year until big end popped out through block...common issue on d56 engine...
    Would definitely win on appearance but bottom of the reliability ladder..
    Those amoracks are only ok..vw had to fit v6 cos the 2 liter was way underpowered.. for towing.. still Toyota 3.0 d4d for me anyday..regardless of looks..you get what u pay for and they hold up great resale value too

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

I was asking the questions about 2.0-2.5 jeeps because I want one for a small amount of towing to sales, shows etc. I would not be towing big loads of cattle. I would be using this vehicle for driving to work as well, so it would need to be some what economical compared to a land cruiser, pajero etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Hi farmer 2018.. well theres a fair bit difference even between 2litre and 2.5. This thread is getting fair long but hilux also available in 2.5 but you're more talking crossover which some are 4x4 and others arent..these are the smallest type entry 4x4 and usually 2litre max .. ok if minded but problem is many people put them at towing jobs that's suited to a landcruiser 3litre and there worlds apart.. some won't even have a hi /low gearbox fitted...these are fairly standard on the real actual 4x4 jeeps and come in great if reversing with a loaded trailer... best advice as you've probably got already drive many and see but while any crossover will feel better on road there long short of standard 4x4.. but if it's only a small cow box etc max that you're towing then crossover or even large car fine but the 12x6.6 twin axle boxes will kill a crossover.. if you've compared pulling a 2.5 ton trailer of cattle behind a 2 liter crossover compared to 2.5 or 3 liter you'd quickly realize the difference especially at the first sign of a hill.. also due to being heavier a full size jeep will be legal to tow heavier weights..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

sonnybill wrote: »
    Are the d max heavier on juice than say a swb land cruiser ?

Lighter.
    3.0 dmax doing 32 mpg tipping around here. Different story towing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Turbohymac wrote: »

if it's only a small cow box etc max that you're towing then crossover or even large car fine ..

That’s what I’m in the process of doing here, with my 2.0d saloon and trailer, so hope it all works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

farmer2018 wrote: »
    I was asking the questions about 2.0-2.5 jeeps because I want one for a small amount of towing to sales, shows etc. I would not be towing big loads of cattle. I would be using this vehicle for driving to work as well, so it would need to be some what economical compared to a land cruiser, pajero etc.

Have a 151 sorento here, doing over 40 mpg. Happy with it. Tows all i need. 10x5 sheep trailer with decks, Full no issus. 2t of fert or meal no issue.

Done 22000 k in it since end of april, no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭farmer2018

That’s what I’m in the process of doing here, with my 2.0d saloon and trailer, so hope it all works out ok.

What are you changing to?

• Advertisement

farmer2018 wrote: »
    What are you changing to?

Sheep only here, but gave up using a 10X5 with decks and Toyota Land Cruiser, to an smaller lighter 8ft type trailer and ordinary 2 litre diesal family saloon car. Just couldn’t justify the running costs of an extra vehicle on a small farm. Will never tow more then 1.5tonne all in. Next time I change my car I’d seriously consider skoda, I hear the superb’s are good for towing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Hilux and Landcruiser are the bread and butter. 2.5D4D good enough for towing if you're not hauling fierce loads every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Sheep only here, but gave up using a 10X5 with decks and Toyota Land Cruiser, to an smaller lighter 8ft type trailer and ordinary 2 litre diesal family saloon car. Just couldn’t justify the running costs of an extra vehicle on a small farm. Will never tow more then 1.5tonne all in. Next time I change my car I’d seriously consider skoda, I hear the superb’s are good for towing ?
    They are ............ superb :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We bought a 2.0 150bhp Kuga over the summer, it’s a great toke to tow, towed over 2k km since buying and it was faultless. Also have a 140bhp Tiguan here and it lulls well but would be a bit more basic than the Kuga, the Tiguan is AWD, the Kuga isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭maidhc

The answer to every questions involving a 4x4 is a landcruiser to my mind. I would not part with my 2003 LWB one for love nor money. Anyone who thinks a crossover or a 2.0 diesel car can come close is just misguided. I'd take a car any day for a long journey or going to work, but for farm work there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

maidhc wrote: »
    The answer to every questions involving a 4x4 is a landcruiser to my mind. I would not part with my 2003 LWB one for love nor money. Anyone who thinks a crossover or a 2.0 diesel car can come close is just misguided. I'd take a car any day for a long journey or going to work, but for farm work there is no comparison.

The Cruiser is a step up, but fuel economy isn’t to everyone’s pocket nor requirements.

_Brian wrote: »
    The Cruiser is a step up, but fuel economy isn’t to everyone’s pocket nor requirements.

All depends on what you need a vehicle for most ? is it school runs, shopping, dropping kids everywhere with a small bit of farming on the side ? or is it purely farming ? If you’ve a decent sized farm then you can have two vehicles but some people have small farms and can only have one or the other ? one hat doesn’t fit all

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

_Brian wrote: »

No jeep is a miser on juice but landcruisers are hardly range rover thirsty either.

Landcruiser are bulletproof, I'd still go for a jeep grand cherokee if someone handed me 70 k, landcruiser are a bit boring to look at, don't get me wrong, I still love them and they are comfortable too but style is very Conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Land Rover Discovery 4. Fantastic machine. One of the most comfortable I've ever driven and plenty of power. Very stable towing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭maidhc

All depends on what you need a vehicle for most ? is it school runs, shopping, dropping kids everywhere with a small bit of farming on the side ? or is it purely farming ? If you’ve a decent sized farm then you can have two vehicles but some people have small farms and can only have one or the other ? one hat doesn’t fit all

My solution was to buy a clean s/h one a few years ago. €7,000 of which you can claim capital allowances + about €1,000 p.a. to cover tax insurance and the CVRT.

I keep the car clean then for work and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Suckler wrote: »
    Land Rover Discovery 4. Fantastic machine. One of the most comfortable I've ever driven and plenty of power. Very stable towing as well.

Reliability is patchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reliability is patchy.

Is it still that way, I was dreaming about changing for a five seater business class earlier in the year and tried a few discoveries, a lovely jeep and a good bit cheaper than the LC business class, thats probably the reason,
    You know what they used to say years ago.
    ''If you want to go out in the desert, drive a landrover.
    If you want to get back, drive a Toyota''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Reliability is patchy.

Any issues (and there were a few) were ironed out in the Discovery 3's. Later ones were very reliable. Electric hand brake mechanism can be an issue the odd time alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

Looking at a 2015 navara king cab, or a mitsubishi l200, again king cab. The extra seats in the back would come in handy but wouldn't be used that often. I think there would be less of an issue taxing them as commercial. There getting a bit sticky taxing the crew cabs as commercial. Any taughts on what the navara is like, a 2.5 engine. Have an 06 pathfinder but with the rust issues I don't think it'll go through the test.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

King cabs... sit into the back seats before you consider them.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

I'd be in the drivers seat. No it would only be for the grandchildren the odd time. Their all young yet

Reliability is patchy.

I bought a brand new discovery 3 about 12 years ago. Worst vehicle I ever owned. The suspension used to malfunction in the middle of driving. The clutch started burning after 6,000km or the first time it sat in heavy traffic. Dealers and land rover Ireland didn’t want to know anything about it. Told me was the way I was driving it and said if they were to take it apart and look at it and find nothing they saddle me with a 2k bill. I afterwards found out it was a well know flaw. Never again......

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

wrangler wrote: »
    Is it still that way, I was dreaming about changing for a five seater business class earlier in the year and tried a few discoveries, a lovely jeep and a good bit cheaper than the LC business class, thats probably the reason,
    You know what they used to say years ago.
    ''If you want to go out in the desert, drive a landrover.
    If you want to get back, drive a Toyota''
    That’s all nonsense. Used to be devoted to Toyota’s. I had them al from the original bj right through to the v8 Amazon. Later Toyota’s gave plenty of trouble and were expensive to fix. The discovery 4 will, with the passage of time, prove to be one of the best jeeps ever made. I’ve owned one and would go back to it in the morning only wife liked something else and she must be obeyed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭DJ98

What would be the most economical jeep to run, looking for something with 4 doors (5 seat) , cheap to run and capable of pulling a 10x5 sheep trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Not a jeep but you'd be hard pressed find a more economical tow rig than a 1.9tdi vw sharan, seat Alhambra or ford galaxy. They've a 2000kg towing capacity.

If the budget allows any of the newer suv type things such as a kuga, tiguan etc. Would be worth considering. Decent on fuel and cheap tax, pretty expensive to buy though.

Advertisement