Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best jeep to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭R.dufy454773

DJ98 wrote: »
    What would be the most economical jeep to run, looking for something with 4 doors (5 seat) , cheap to run and capable of pulling a 10x5 sheep trailer

The Isuzu dmax are a very solid well built reliable jeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought a 08 automatic hilux. Anyway what gear do lads use going up steep hills with a heavy load, do ye use 4 wheel drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Bought a 08 automatic hilux. Anyway what gear do lads use going up steep hills with a heavy load, do ye use 4 wheel drive?

I drive an auto isuzu (npr I think ) and leave it in auto when towing . You won't be sorry with an auto , I love it anyhow.
    In the jeep on the road I never use the 4wd unless its slippy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭MfMan

Bullocks wrote: »
    I drive an auto isuzu (npr I think ) and leave it in auto when towing . You won't be sorry with an auto , I love it anyhow.
    In the jeep on the road I never use the 4wd unless its slippy out

Is an automatic not hard on towing trailers? Surely a manual would be more reliable?

Is there any practical difference between a Landcruiser and a Hilux? I have a '05 Landcruiser but not looking forward to the day when I have to change. I read an article recently about the new edition VW Amarok which has a 3.0 engine and rated to pull 3.5 tons - anyone any experience of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

farmer2018 wrote: »
    I am looking at buying a jeep for a small bit of towing. My budget is €1000-€3000, what is the most reliable jeep to buy?

I think when buying any 4×4 a person has to spend real money, or you will spend it fixing your jeep for the test every year. It's a lot better to give a hauler 50 Euro to draw a few cattle now and then than to be putting parts and Labour in to a 1000 Euro piece of scrap. All 4×4 are thirsty if towing. Have you a trailer licence. Would it be better for to buy a box for the back of the tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

MfMan wrote: »
    Is an automatic not hard on towing trailers? Surely a manual would be more reliable?

Is there any practical difference between a Landcruiser and a Hilux? I have a '05 Landcruiser but not looking forward to the day when I have to change. I read an article recently about the new edition VW Amarok which has a 3.0 engine and rated to pull 3.5 tons - anyone any experience of these?

I’m informed it’s quite the opposite. Meant to be the dogs proverbial for the job.

MfMan wrote: »

If anything it's miles ahead of my manual Patrol for towing.
    A good few lads around me have auto jeeps and I haven't heard of the auto box giving trouble.
    Probably heavy on diesel would be the only complaint but if I'm changing anything again its a luxury I'll be looking for

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I recently had a brief drive of an automatic 04 Toyota land cruiser while towing a 12*6 trailer with 2 decks of hoggets. I was surprised by the ability of the auto box even while reversing against a hill. I wouldn't have driven an auto in awhile but found it easy to adapt, on a good stretch of road I feel it would really come in to it's own.
    I currently drive a manual 02 reg land cruiser which I hope to knock another few years out of. However when the time comes to change I would seriously consider an automatic as a replacement. I would need to research further as I would have a very limited knowledge of autos but as a first experience I was mightly impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I recently had a brief drive of an automatic 04 Toyota land cruiser while towing a 12*6 trailer with 2 decks of hoggets. I was surprised by the ability of the auto box even while reversing against a hill. I wouldn't have driven an auto in awhile but found it easy to adapt, on a good stretch of road I feel it would really come in to it's own.
    I currently drive a manual 02 reg land cruiser which I hope to knock another few years out of. However when the time comes to change I would seriously consider an automatic as a replacement. I would need to research further as I would have a very limited knowledge of autos but as a first experience I was mightly impressed.
    Had a cow stuck in a hole this evening, tried to pull her with the pajero 01, not a budge, I put the landcruiser-04 auto- on not a budge either. ground was greasy . Brought digger down and job done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a cow stuck in a hole this evening, tried to pull her with the pajero 01, not a budge, I put the landcruiser-04 auto- on not a budge either. ground was greasy . Brought digger down and job done

So the best jeep to buy is a digger 🀣

• Advertisement

jimmy G M wrote: »
    So the best jeep to buy is a digger ��
    I was saying move over the land cruiser will do the job, ground was greasy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Kolpe

Quashqui at home by the old fella. Pull the sheep box full no bother. Serious yoke off road, snow towing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Kolpe wrote: »
    Quashqui at home by the old fella. Pull the sheep box full no bother. Serious yoke off road, snow towing.

I thought you were the Farmer?!

a year ago

12/09/2017 00:58

Karangue
    Banned
    Hello all, part time sheep farmer. 120 sheep, this time of the year farming is quiet, get kids off the school and back into bed with herself. Get up at noon sort out the online business herself runs.
    Neighbour died last year a millionaire not married, state took it all. What is everyone killing themselves for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Automatic is crap hard to beat a good 151or 161 3 liter hilux or landcruiser..manual transmission people still buying lots of sh,t jeeps that are even more expensive but all the gizmos fall far short of a real jeep with good components and good resale value..lots of guys are now turning out like women when buying..they like the gizmos and the shape of it but forget the basics of a good workhorse. Expensive mistake down the road

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Myself dad annoying me to replace the jeep here and stop robbing his qashqui to bring weanings/calves to the mart (about the only thing I need any sort of jeep for ugh). Looking at the likes of an early touareg crewcab that I could use as a daily drive also, and put the mountain bike in the back etc, have heard afew horror stories about electrics in them tho, anyone got one? Could go with likes of a range rover either but bit over the top for me ha, plus I defo don't rate land rover for reliably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Can a jeep that has seats in the back be taxed commercially. Ie crew cab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

Can a jeep that has seats in the back be taxed commercially. Ie crew cab

With a separate cargo area. Like the hilux crew cab set up.

148multi wrote: »
    No. All in one. Land cruiser

There are a reasonable few touaregs, range rovers even x5s pre 2012 that are officially registered as crewcabs (and e333 tax) for sale on donedeal. In my case I just need something for towing, and occasionally carrying more than 2 people (got afew different part time workers here), so likes of the touareg perfect, I don't need something like a Ford ranger/dmax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

yea, Landcruisers could be taxed for €333 as a five seater business class up to last july, so you can buy them secondhand still.....they're commanding a bit of a premium now because there'll be no more at the cheap tax.
    Here's an example

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/2011-toyota-landcruiser-business-class-333-tax/17701412

I have one. Land cruiser lwb 5 seats taxed commercially.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I have one. Land cruiser lwb 5 seats taxed commercially.

Cheers. Looking to pick up a jeep for under 1500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭148multi

148multi wrote: »

To clarify, I meant if one had a passanger vehicle for to crew cab it to be eligible for commercial tax it will need separate cargo area, if you can buy one already done as above and bobs your uncle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Anyone with a volkswagen amarok here for farm duties? 2.0L engine.typically 163bhp i think. limited to 2800kg tow rating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

have a jeep cherokee 2.8D auto (not grand cherokee). otherwise known as jeep liberty. best jeep i've ever had and reminds me of my trusty pajero from years ago. no frills but solid 4x4. rated to pull 3.2 tonnes. can pick them up cheap too. hope to have mine for many years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have been reading lately that the Dmax is gone very popular across the water. They seem to be very well put together and economical, as far as a big Jeep can be anyway.

Nobbies wrote: »
    Anyone with a volkswagen amarok here for farm duties? 2.0L engine.typically 163bhp i think. limited to 2800kg tow rating

A mate has a 16 one, he's not farming but would pull the odd trailer. He reckons its very dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Bullocks wrote: »
    A mate has a 16 one, he's not farming but would pull the odd trailer. He reckons its very dead

The new ones only come in the 3.0 v6 , they've dropped the 2 litre altogether. Also saw an aussie review where they like em, bar the price, and the the fact that they don't have airbags in the back, is that the same here? Thought eu safety standards would have them in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mooooo wrote: »
    The new ones only come in the 3.0 v6 , they've dropped the 2 litre altogether. Also saw an aussie review where they like em, bar the price, and the the fact that they don't have airbags in the back, is that the same here? Thought eu safety standards would have them in

Drive shaft bearings gave a lot of trouble in them , don't know if it still applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Dad looking to change his jeep here, possibly going to go landrover again.
    Currently has a 2003 td5 discovery, SE model, leather seats, heated seats. Bought it out of Dublin 4 years ago.
    It's full passenger so he's paying the full tax. Lovely jeep and never given a days trouble apart from the air bags in the back suspension.
    He's not mad on crew cabs, if it was me id love a SWB landcrusier but he likes to be a bit different than the rest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

He's not mad on crew cabs, if it was me id love a SWB landcrusier but he likes to be a bit different than the rest

Mercedes X Class.

mercedes-benz-x-class_0.jpg?itok=sv8h2n6U

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Aren't they just a rebadged navara?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

What's opinions on 13-14 navara have a 2008 here last 4 years not much bother but cost €1750 till get thru test this year €600 was on tires... thinking on selling and moving up till at least 2013... do a fair bit off trailer work over good distances so I love the power the navara has... had a 11 l200 out wile navara was in garage and didn't think much off it... never drove a dmax so can't comment on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Aren't they just a rebadged navara?

Yes, but not 'just'.

If you scratch the surface of the X-Class you’ll find a lot of it is actually the aforementioned Nissan Navara. Same 2.3-litre Renault-developed turbo diesel, same ladder frame chassis, same switchable 4wd system with low range and so on. Compared to the Navara, the X-Class has wider tracks (by 55 and 62mm respectively front and rear) to improve stability, different springs and dampers, plus enhanced sound insulation. As with the outside, Mercedes has worked hard to give the X-Class a visual lift over the car it’s based on. Initially, the gearlever and starter button are the only obvious carry overs, and all the usual Mercedes cues, from clickwheel to column stalks, ensure existing Merc owners won’t find it totally alien. Claims 35.8mpg combined fuel economy.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

greysides wrote: »
    Mercedes X Class.

mercedes-benz-x-class_0.jpg?itok=sv8h2n6U

God that’s an ugly pig !!

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn you’d expect merc to do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

_Brian wrote: »
    God that’s an ugly pig !!

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn you’d expect merc to do better.

You should see the inside,they went out and found the cheapest tablet they could and velcroed it on the dash as an afterthought.I dont get how mercedes/mercedes buyers cannot think that it would be better to integrate the satnav/infotainment than stick it on after.Also those vents might look ok now but in a couple of years they will just look tacky/dated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think it looks class

You should see the inside,they went out and found the cheapest tablet they could and velcroed it on the dash as an afterthought.I dont get how mercedes/mercedes buyers cannot think that it would be better to integrate the satnav/infotainment than stick it on after.Also those vents might look ok now but in a couple of years they will just look tacky/dated.

Tesla the same, except it has a bracket to hold it out on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I think it looks class

It looks good on the road too.
    There’s 3 of them floating around near me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Anyone here using aford kuga all wheel drive for less heavy towing on farm?? not ajeep but considered a suv they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

What's the most economical and reliable of the following pick ups 2008-2012? Ford Ranger, Mazda BT50, Mitsubishi L200, Isuzu Dmax, Nissan Navara? Anything else to consider other than hilux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Are there many lads bringing them in from England? Seems one way to take advantage of the whole Brexit crap

Muckit wrote: »
    Are there many lads bringing them in from England? Seems one way to take advantage of the whole Brexit crap

I am looking at doing that.

The 2.2 ford rangers from that era have oil pump problems that can kill the engine. The engine itself has a bit of a rep at this stage for being trouble.

Dmax would get my vote.

Edit: just noticed the 2008-2012 bit. In which case the ranger would most likely be 2.5L these are better than the 2.2's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've recently bought an 08 Ford ranger and reckon it does between 25-33 mpg depending on what sort of driving your doing. There a fairly bog standard jeep but I find it comfortable and capable of all I ask of it, I've done about 5000km in 6 weeks and no complaints​ yet thankfully. The Mazda B2500 is the same jeep to the best of my knowledge.

I've recently bought an 08 Ford ranger and reckon it does between 25-33 mpg depending on what sort of driving your doing. There a fairly bog standard jeep but I find it comfortable and capable of all I ask of it, I've done about 5000km in 6 weeks and no complaints​ yet thankfully. The Mazda B2500 is the same jeep to the best of my knowledge.

As far as I know the Mazda BT50 are the newer model of the B2500 and both are the same as the ranger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

What do people make of the land rover TD5 defenders out of curiosity (mid noughties approx)...kinda like the look of them

Would it be possible to do a lot of the maintenance on them yourself?

amacca wrote: »
    What do people make of the land rover TD5 defenders out of curiosity (mid noughties approx)...kinda like the look of them

Would it be possible to do a lot of the maintenance on them yourself?
    I was just looking at them on donedeal the other day . They are'nt loosing their value anyhow . The old boy had one for years , bit uncomfortable and a good few breakdowns . Good to pull in the field

Td5 defenders are good off road and to pull. Pretty basic and agri spec so handyish to work on.

They are very uncomfortable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement