Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't think there's anything to stop you legally, from driving out of the NCT centre after a dangerous fail?

I don't think there's anything to stop you legally, from driving out of the NCT centre after a dangerous fail?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/national_car_test.html

"Dangerous (previously fail dangerous): the vehicle has failed the test because of a dangerous defect that poses a direct or immediate risk to road safety. The NCTS will put a ‘failed dangerous’ sticker on your car. It is illegal to drive a vehicle with a dangerous defect. If you continue to drive your car and you get stopped by An Garda Síochána, you may get penalty points or have to go to court. You must get the vehicle repaired and re-inspected by NCTS within 30 days. If it passes the re-inspection you will get an NCT certificate."

Guess you should have it towed home, but doubt many do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

NCT manual states they will call the cops if they see dangerous being driven away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my brother has admitted to having done so, no attempt to stop him. was several years ago.
    in his case, it was a slash in the sidewall of a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭cletus

my brother has admitted to having done so, no attempt to stop him. was several years ago.
    in his case, it was a slash in the sidewall of a tyre.

I don't think it's in their remit to physically, or otherwise, prevent you from driving the car, but as joujou says, their SOP says they'll call the Gardai. I suppose it depends on whether the individual working in the centre follows protocol or not

• Advertisement

i suspect the person who vets the car and leaves it out for collection has no time to hang around to see if the owner drives away in it - it's probably a couple of minutes between the car being left at the collection point and the owner getting out to it, but the mechanic has more cars on the list so has to get back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

i suspect the person who vets the car and leaves it out for collection has no time to hang around to see if the owner drives away in it - it's probably a couple of minutes between the car being left at the collection point and the owner getting out to it, but the mechanic has more cars on the list so has to get back to them.
    It's pretty clear in the manual though. (I accept that that doesn't mean it will be followed).
    A sticker stating “Failed Dangerous” should be attached
    to the vehicle.
    The driver of the vehicle must be advised not to drive
    the vehicle if it has dangerous defects and be advised to
    have it towed away or otherwise carried away.

If the customer states that she/he is going to drive the
    vehicle:
    • Advise that An Garda Síochána will be informed.

If the customer drives the vehicle off the premises
    the incident must be reported to An Garda Síochána
    immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cork Greenway submissions deadline is tomorrow at 5pm:

https://twitter.com/lee2sea/status/1354901653082791938

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's pretty clear in the manual though. (I accept that that doesn't mean it will be followed).
    In practice they don't unless they really, really think the car is going to fall apart on the road.

They're human beings like the rest of us. They have to work there every day, the last thing they want is some scrote coming back the next day going mental because they called the Gardai on them.

The lawful authority to stop or seize a vehicle is a complicated area, so this is why they don't have the power to do it. Plus the aforementioned scrote factor - refuse to hand someone back their keys, or clamp their car to stop them leaving, and every now and again you'll get some lunatic who tries to attack people in the NCT centre. People are really precious snowflakes when it comes to their cars. I remember a thread on the Motors forum about cyclists leaning against your car, and a couple of posters saying they'd deserve a punch in the face for it.

seamus wrote: »
    People are really precious snowflakes when it comes to their cars. I remember a thread on the Motors forum about cyclists leaning against your car, and a couple of posters saying they'd deserve a punch in the face for it.

That's an odd statement. People are precious about any item they like, and paid a lot of money for. Just look at this forum. Most of the people here are precious about their bikes. I don't know what bikes you have, but let's say you have an expensive (multiple thousand euro) bike, and someone you didn't know decided they sit on it, or lean against it in a rack, or similar, I'd assume you'd be annoyed. The punch in the face comment, I would assume, is hyperbolic

• Advertisement

also should be pointed out that people who are regulars on a motoring discussion forum are not going to be representative of motorists in general.
    no more so than we are representative of your average cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I wish everyone was a lot more precious about their cars. It'd solve the close pass issue overnight!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40220438.html

Probably too oblique to go in the journalism thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fat bloke wrote: »
    I wish everyone was a lot more precious about their cars. It'd solve the close pass issue overnight!

Derek in Humphries once had to give out to someone who rested their bikes on his car. Their own car was parked beside it. Wouldn't think to possibly scratch their own.

I'm always amazed at how much space people give parked cars right after squeezing by me. Maybe because it's mentioned in driving lessons or something frequently (says he who has done about 8 and is utterly terrified and crap at driving)

i see GCN are launching a premium subscription offering, GCN+; it seems to offer the live race coverage plus higher quality cycling documentaries.

i see GCN are launching a premium subscription offering, GCN+; it seems to offer the live race coverage plus higher quality cycling documentaries.

Racepass rebrand more so I think, anyone on racepass will be moved over automatically I think. It will be the same price but is 19.99 at the minute for new subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Weepsie wrote: »
    Derek in Humphries once had to give out to someone who rested their bikes on his car. Their own car was parked beside it. Wouldn't think to possibly scratch their own...
    A few years ago, at the start of a sportive at a GAA club in Swords, a few cyclists had leaned their bikes against the car of an official of the GAA club. He marched out in a fit of rage and threw the bikes across the car park. A complete over-reaction which left a bit of ill feeling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

GAA club officials are not the most level headed of people in my experience.

Derek had just fixed their bike, so probably had an idea of how much care they gave to things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Today's coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

A few years ago, at the start of a sportive at a GAA club in Swords, a few cyclists had leaned their bikes against the car of an official of the GAA club. He marched out in a fit of rage and threw the bikes across the car park. A complete over-reaction which left a bit of ill feeling.

Honestly I'd do the same (well not fire them across a car park but id be leaning them against something else). For many a car is a tool for others like myself its an interest/ hobby/ obsession etc. Car enthusiasts can get meticulous about paint quality, like correcting factory defects in brand new cars that 99% of owners wont even see.

Id imagine if I leant my bike against someone else's and ended up damaging paint on the frame they wouldn't be happy either. Or if I've put on sunscreen a few minutes earlier and the went touching the frame. That works its way into the paint and you'll have a blemish that wont wash out.

Sitting/ leaning on other peoples stuff shows a complete lack of respect in my opinion. If anything like that happened to my bikes/ cars I would not be in a great mood.

• Advertisement

During the aftermath of a crash on the quays I leaned my bike against the car that hit me, the driver picked up my bike and put it on the ground, he was very lucky not to be laid out beside it. Same guy started screaming at me when I was on the ground.

Funny, I'd say he nearly had a stroke when he saw the Insurance claim and realising my bike (RIP Scotty) was worth many multiples of his piece of crap car.

However, I would never lean my bike against a random car, I only did it that time because I was shaken up and dealing with that clown. I like my cars, bikes etc and when somebody scratched my motorbike I sold it and bought another, completely fell out of love with it.

(may inadvertently start a fight)
    if your vehicle is *that* precious, best not to take it out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

My car is kept clean. Handwashed most weekends (only takes 30mins and often do the bike the same time)
    Scratches on it do bug me.

I've no problem with people leaning against it.
    I would draw the line at things that could damage the paint.

So yeah I'd be pissed if a bike was leaned against it.
    I would never lean my own bike against it, I have done with the boot open.
    Throwing a bag or jacket (with zip) on it would also annoy me.

The only times I've generally got annoyed were when people bounced their car doors off mine, including a mate of mine while I was standing beside him.

(may inadvertently start a fight)
    if your vehicle is *that* precious, best not to take it out in public.

I'll bite at this, even though initially I said I wouldn't (although not with the intention of starting a fight, inadvertent or otherwise).

MB, you have a recently restored bike, that you put time and money into. If you had it locked up outside a shop, and you came out and someone had thrown an old flat bar beater against it, maybe the grips are worn, metal poking through, would you be annoyed?

Or maybe you come out and there's a fella leaning against it, and the paint work is rubbing off the wall/fence/whatever. Would you be annoyed?

For me, it doesn't come down to cars, or bikes for that matter. It comes down to my possessions. I know how much it cost me, how much work I put in, etc. and I don't really trust anyone to look after my stuff as well as I do.

I have a fairly extensive tool collection, but I'd sooner offer to do a job for someone, than loan out my tools, for this very reason

cletus wrote: »
    I'll bite at this, even though initially I said I wouldn't (although not with the intention of starting a fight, inadvertent or otherwise).

MB, you have a recently restored bike, that you put time and money into. If you had it locked up outside a shop, and you came out and someone had thrown an old flat bar beater against it, maybe the grips are worn, metal poking through, would you be annoyed?
    you've possibly inadvertently chosen a bad example there; because i bought that bike and restored it a) for the enjoyment of doing so, but b) my beater bike, the one i don't worry about being stolen, is unsuitable for running to the shops on. so that project was largely to get me a bike i can lock outside the shops, and if it gets stolen, at least it'll only cost a couple of hundred to replace rather than the €600+ one of my more modern bikes would.
    even so, i'm choosy about which shops i lock bikes outside.

i wasn't arguing that you shouldn't be annoyed if someone scuffs your car, though. more that while irritating, it's pretty much to be expected that your car will pick up such dings in supermarket car parks, so best not to bring your pride and joy to one on a regular basis because the odds are working against you.

and i'm happy to admit to having a more utilitarian view of cars than many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

In my previous job, I was involved in some IT work for the guys in Midleton. At the start of the project myself and a colleague were involved in meetings with the team over a few days. On one of the nights we were taken out to dinner in the Cornmarket in Cork by senior Midleton technical staff. Pre-dinner drinks included a number of these cocktails which were absolutely gorgeous...
    540072.png
    I toook a photo from the menu with the aim of making it myself (which I've still not done). Dessert was accompanied with ample servings of RB21.

Anyhow, on the last day down there, we were taken on a full factory tour (not the standard tourist tour!) followed by a tasting session in the distillery's "Irish Whiskey Academy". This involved sampling six whiskeys starting with Green Spot and working our way up to (I think) a Jameson 15YO.

I suspect that this course would be somewhat similar to what we experienced and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

One of the bonuses to doing that particular project was that every time I travelled down to Midleton, I ended up with at least one bottle of whiskey gifted by the staff. I still have some of them (unopened).

I did some work with Irish Distillers but out of Dublin, only got see half what you did, pointed out to me i should consider making up a reason to head down to the cork plant for a proper tour.
    Gave me a bottle too when i left, great guy i worked with was in charge of bottle design (for weight/cost etc). I was auditing their packaging outputs so hence the overlaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I ordered a White Hag box, next day their master brewer comes out as a proud boy, qanon supporting loon. Seems they're in trouble. Shame really, one of my favourite brewery's

dealt with them alot, and their site is great but not hugely surprised as i'd mixed thoughts about them of late (just a gutn)

reading the twitter thread; seen they parted ways now, some comments defending him are laughable.

manafana wrote: »
    dealt with them alot, and their site is great but not hugely surprised as i'd mixed thoughts about them of late (just a gutn)

reading the twitter thread; seen they parted ways now, some comments defending him are laughable.

A friend of mine knows them well enough, had said yer man was always a bit out there.

I've been good with food all week, I'm super strict Sunday to Friday evening, do what I want Friday night and then Saturday is about not being stupid.

Got my beer in for tonight just there

that's quite a feed for one night...

• Advertisement

that's quite a feed for one night...

I doubt I'll get through them all. But sure if ya don't try and all that

Advertisement