Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbour keeps cutting MY hedge :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

lawred2 wrote: »
    it really isn't

the best thing is to speak with your neighbour and explain that you want the hedge to grow for screening purposes...

straight to writing?

I don't get that

good lord

I didn't see that that post was from 2009 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tommytee wrote: »
    so to follow up on this,

I asked him politely about 6 times to stop cutting the hedge then in Aug 2017 I was away for Aug bank holiday , came home to see he had been at it again, clearly he was never doing this for my benefit, and all previous encounters were as polite as possible - so my patience ran out,

I confronted him on this when he and his wife drove into their driveway, I stated that this was now the 7th time i had to ask him to stop cutting it, i said it was my hedge and he was only allowed to cut the overhangs but not the top, he then showed his true intentions by asking me 'well how high are you going to let it grow" in an angry tone - which basically his way of saying I don't want it high, my reply was "i decide that not you, i might rip it out altogether i might leave it as it is who knows but it is purely my decision"

so when people say just talk to him and whats wrong with people, I tried that and got me nowhere until I had to be somewhat confrontational about it (which I didn't want) but had no choice.

fastfwd to Sept 2019 and he hasn't been at it since

Peace :-)

yeah you tried - fair play - you can't be reasonable with everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

lawred2 wrote: »
    it really isn't

the best thing is to speak with your neighbour and explain that you want the hedge to grow for screening purposes...

straight to writing?

I don't get that
    No, I never wrote to him as thought it was too formal and choose to speak to him so I could address it in as friendly way as possible, however after 7 attempts in speaking to him he finally stopped.

My 6th conversation asking him to stop it was basically me say ' please don't cut top off it again as it will become and issue between us and I don't that" and guess what he went off and did it again, so basically didn't really give a f%uk what i was saying

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

11 weeks wow you are lucky imagine it been 11 years.....

Oh sh1t wait a minute....

Now you need to build a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

How high is hedge now?

I'd just tell the neighbour how you want your hedge. Tell him you want it 6ft high for privacy and it won't be cut below that height in future!!

If he argues just ask him why he wants it cut. If it's not causing a light issue it's purely taste. He'd prefer it short. But it's not his hedge... So tell him it's your hedge and your decision.

Be nice. Tell him why you want height. If he doesnt agree to leave it at 6ft then tell him you won't let it go next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭tommytee

its resolved, please read the thread :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I'll be cutting 'my neighbours hedge', while some of its bang on the boundary line quite a bit of the hedge has actually been planted on my garden.

My neighbour likes to be passive aggressive like that, what with his d***ish behaviour and parking an inch from my car amongst other things. Scurries off when he sees us though, like I said passive aggressive.

I'll be cutting off anything from the boundary over on my property as I'm entitled to. Maybe your neighbour thought he was being helpful or maybe he's confused about boundary lines (like my neighbour).

I'll be cutting 'my neighbours hedge', while some of its bang on the boundary line quite a bit of the hedge has actually been planted on my garden.

My neighbour likes to be passive aggressive like that, what with his d***ish behaviour and parking an inch from my car amongst other things. Scurries off when he sees us though, like I said passive aggressive.

I'll be cutting off anything from the boundary over on my property as I'm entitled to. Maybe your neighbour thought he was being helpful or maybe he's confused about boundary lines (like my neighbour).

How confused does one need to be if asked 6 or 7 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Alkers wrote: »
    How high is the hedge now?

I really hope OP replies to you in 2029.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Leave it as long as possible.. Then plant posts and fence all along the dead centre of the hedge. Your land now.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

tommytee wrote: »
    fastfwd to Sept 2019 and he hasn't been at it since

It wasn't suggested but choosing to wait for him to die was a clever move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

We bought a in a new build estate two years ago. The builders put a hedge up the divide of our drives. I hate hedges, and when we were getting our driveway extended up to the hedge i asked the neighbour of he'd mind if the hedge was pulled and i paid to have a low wall put in its place.. he said no to that, that he liked the hedge.

I've been keeping it very low since, and after reading the op, am wondering if i have any right to keeping it low as it's 50/50 between us..

Peatys wrote: »
    We bought a in a new build estate two years ago. The builders put a hedge up the divide of our drives. I hate hedges, and when we were getting our driveway extended up to the hedge i asked the neighbour of he'd mind if the hedge was pulled and i paid to have a low wall put in its place.. he said no to that, that he liked the hedge.

I've been keeping it very low since, and after reading the op, am wondering if i have any right to keeping it low as it's 50/50 between us..

Put your wall in on your side....

Peatys wrote: »

Party hedge, usually both you and your neighbours have shared responsibility for maintaining it. I'm sure they would let you know if they weren't happy with you trimming the height.

You can still put a wall in provided it's on your side of the boundary. You don't need your neighbours permission to do this but nice to let them know to keep relations good.

antix80 wrote: »
    Leave it as long as possible.. Then plant posts and fence all along the dead centre of the hedge. Your land now.

I'm actually waiting for the day he hits my car since he insists on parking outside my house millimetres from my bumper, to leave his driveway car free all day every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

11 weeks wow you are lucky imagine it been 11 years.....

Oh sh1t wait a minute....

Now you need to build a wall.

Or build a bridge and get over it.

twomonkeys wrote: »
    Or build a bridge and get over it.

Need planning 4 that....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Tell him to stop cutting your bush.

didn't know his wife was involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stellam

I am reading this and I have a very similar situation. We share a lane with a neighbour. The lane is not public, only the 2 houses. It is also used by 2 farmers. My neighbour passes our boundary to get to his house. My neighbour is cutting our hedge on the lane side and on reading this I realise that his is likely allowed. The hedge is managed annually according to hedge cutting rules. We planted the native hedge 15 years ago, outside of the original hedge planted by developer with was not native planting, and never has a complaint of any kind. However last month we were away for the weekend and when we returned the hedge was scalped on the lane side. There was no advance communication of any sort.

I phoned to ask why and was told is was too big… etc. We agreed that we would be informed of any other issues with hedge and would definitely resolve and concerns- very neighbourly under circumstances. Since then our neighbour continue to pick at hedge without communication. And yesterday received a written WhatsApp message demanding the hedge is removed entirely and reinstated in original position from 15years ago we threat of complaint to planning authorities

comments are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

15 years after planning approval given ... i wouldn't be concerned about the council, might be worth a solicitors' letter if things are at the whatsapp message point. Photo's and time stamps will be your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

qqq

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Advertisement