Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Ploughing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Records broken for attendance this year, 216,000 people after day 2 with one day still to come, I'm a bit shocked at those numbers!!

Another “record” was broken there at the weekend.

The one where the Dubs won the five in a row!!

I am a Dub, moved to Carlow 2 years ago so I'm proud of both achievements, I don't see it as a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Records broken for attendance this year, 216,000 people after day 2 with one day still to come, I'm a bit shocked at those numbers!!

It’s actually a good day out, even if you aren’t a farmer, son of the soil, or exhibitor looking to make sales.

Was there today for the first time, kids loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't see the problem at all. Great for our rural brethren to meet up and enjoy the craic.

It might not be for city/townies, but who cares. What the feck impact has it on those who criticise it.

None, just stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Is it not fair to say that townies and city kids are dullards with little to no interest in most things outside the banal entertainment of professional sports and pop culture? They usually have no interest in how machines work, where their food comes from, what types of animals exist on farms or in the countryside and their goals are often limited to buying a semi detached house some day. Tremendous at spending exhorbitant amounts of money on the latest technology, when they hadn't even worked out how to use their old one to even a fraction of its potential. But when you can get Clash of Clans to run at a slightly smoother frame rate then it's all worth it. Oh baby.

A simple folk who talk about how they can't wait for the weekend by Tuesday and the describe how they had a crazy weekend where they got hammered on Friday night and then spent all day Saturday and Sunday recovering. Some of them even have the odd flutter. I heard some of them know how to handle a vehicle as big as a Range Rover. Now I don't know about you, but city life sounds super exciting to me. It gives me heart palpitations just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You sound like something of a broken record yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,103 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask a question?

What exactly is the draw of the Ploughing Championship? I don't get it. Why would 300,000 people travel from all around the country to attend it?

OK, so I know plenty might be into ploughing and go to watch that. But I'm guessing that would be a fraction of the 300,000.

A large section will be farmers too obviously. Are they travelling across the country to look at tractors and machinery for sale? Surely there are local shows for that? I know up here in Donegal there are quite a few.

So what about everyone else? What exactly is there at it to attract so many who don't fall into the above categories of people? It is now just stalls selling stuff?
    I read above someone says 'the kids loved it'. I'm taking it there was amusements, bouncy castles etc? I know my kids would love that too, but there's no way I'd drive the length of the country for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can I ask a question?

What exactly is the draw of the Ploughing Championship? I don't get it. Why would 300,000 people travel from all around the country to attend it?

OK, so I know plenty might be into ploughing and go to watch that. But I'm guessing that would be a fraction of the 300,000.

A large section will be farmers too obviously. Are they travelling across the country to look at tractors and machinery for sale? Surely there are local shows for that? I know up here in Donegal there are quite a few.

So what about everyone else? What exactly is there at it to attract so many who don't fall into the above categories of people? It is now just stalls selling stuff?
    I read about someone says 'the kids loved it'. I'm taking it there was amusements, bouncy castles etc? I know my kids would love that too, but there's no way I'd drive the length of the country for that.

It’s bizarre alright. A massive case of “FOMO”, fear of missing out, if you ask me.

Used to work with a girl from Waterford who’d be off sick with appendicitis or the ‘flu but she’d never miss a night out.

I guess with the death of the “culchie shopping day” on the 8th of December, largely down to online sales and better, “regional”, centres it’s a time when they can all just get together in a mucky field.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's 2 possibilities Niman I reckon.

1 - They just know no better god love them.

2 - It's just culchies doing culchie shít and we'll never understand.

Either way it's like like a dog with a bone. To non dogs, as meals go it certainly looks like a load of shít, but if you try take it off him odds are he'll bite you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Don’t knock it until ye try it. The Ploughing is the best day out you’ll ever have

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Can I ask a question?

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Touching a man's tractor down these parts is like touching his wife. Only acceptable if you're buying her.

Not all culchies are interested in it though lads, like not all Dubs are into heroin and hanging around Busaras. Never been myself, wouldn't go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

How on earth is this a major “event”, drawing such big numbers? It sounds like a truly awful way to spend your day.

Tractors ploughing fields and stomping around various farming supply tents listening to yahoos shouting “hup” and “hon the banner!” or whatever parochial nickname their town/county has.

Probably has “Wagon Wheel” constantly blaring over speakers that double as bunting poles too

A few of the girls from here have been talking about it nonstop for the last month. Talking about, no word of lie, which wellies were “best” to go with their outfits. They share lots of jokes about “finding a man” and, obviously, “road frontage” and this brings them on to talk of the “Aisling” book and how they’re all so like her. All of them.

I can think of few things worse than standing around in a field with lots of old men with rope belts keeping their “trousers” up and both hands, firmly, in their pockets. Always wearing those thick suits, probably older than they are, whether it’s cold and rainy or blistering sunshine. Then having some freckled young lads in navy gilets running around bumping into you roaring “hit the diff!” and shítting themselves laughing.

I’ve had to endure spending time with my partner’s “people” out west on a few occasions and it’s always the same. Incessant weather chat, pointing out the long, or short, evenings and “‘tis an Indian summer we’re having” type pronouncements.

Then, down the pub, having to endure some of the locals from further afield. Poking fun at my accent or asking my partner if “so and so” is her uncle and on her answer in the affirmative falling around laughing telling her “Softy, we used to call him!”. Base humour.

The coverage the Ploughing is getting is beyond me. Pat Kenny was broadcasting from there today. The Dubs win “five in a row”, a feat never achieved by any other side, in either code, and one that I, personally, don’t believe will be done again, and there’s no mention of it. Instead it’s this country “festival” that’s getting all the coverage, that and the country “beef” drama.

Can’t just let us have our “moment”. Up the Dubs!!

Townie

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I was at it once. In Carrigtwohill. I went as a lad I knew had a stand for wrought iron gates he made.
    I had a walk around and there's alot of interesting stuff, to me anyway.
    Coming near the close we shut up shop and headed to the beer tent. Great night , great band , and a great bit of chatting up.
    One day is enough though.
    I suppose you could call it a farmers EP

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

It's so funny that it's called 'De' ploughing and not 'The' ploughing.

I'll bet the thread creator is a huge lol after a few pints.

Yeah after decades of financial doping. Is there any truth to the rumour that Parnell Park will soon be renamed The Dublin Etihad, or would that require that Dublin actually play some of their games there? Gaelic football is a joke.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can I ask a question?

I read above someone says 'the kids loved it'. I'm taking it there was amusements, bouncy castles etc? I know my kids would love that too, but there's no way I'd drive the length of the country for that.

It's probably mostly networking and CPD for farmers really. Farming can often be a lonely and time consuming job, with little free time so there's probably a big social side to it that's important. Getting to meet others in their profession, seeing demos of new machinery,products or services, advances in farming technology, all sorts of medical and technological advances relating to the health and welfare of livestock and so on. My OH went there the first day (work related) and said it's absolutely vast. The actual ploughing competition was only a small part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Woke Hogan has no problem slating Dubs at any opportunity but cries his eyes out when someone has a pop at Travellers. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Look at it this way, with all the spud gobblers in the one place, its a weekend off for the rest of us.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Woke Hogan has no problem slating Dubs at any opportunity but cries his eyes out when someone has a pop at Travellers. Hilarious.

My primary concern regarding Travellers is pity for the young Traveller children or teenagers who are born into and raised in a totally unacceptable environment amongst their own culture and who also have scorn poured upon them by non-Travellers for something that is no fault of their own.

None of my contributions have ever dehumanised "Dubs" to the same extent that most of the thousands of bigoted posts about Travellers you will see on here have.

Bambi wrote: »
    Look at it this way, with all the spud gobblers in the one place, its a weekend off for the rest of us.

Do ye not still do coddle in the big schmoke? The cuisine equivalent of a genocide.

• Advertisement

Touching a man's tractor down these parts is like touching his wife. Only acceptable if you're buying her.

Not all culchies are interested in it though lads, like not all Dubs are into heroin and hanging around Busaras. Never been myself, wouldn't go near it.

Do you mean Busaras or the ploughing Deebles?

I've been to busaras a few times, it wouldn't be great now, but i'd still imagine it's the better of the two.:D

Do ye not still do coddle in the big schmoke? The cuisine equivalent of a genocide.

No, no, no, no, no.

Coddle, i think you'll find, is the food of the gods:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Bambi wrote: »

It was on during the week, Bambi. Now you’ve never struck me as a man who spends too much time on things like the news or current affairs, but it was fairly hard to miss reports about it.

Do you mean Busaras or the ploughing Deebles?

I've been to busaras a few times, it wouldn't be great now, but i'd still imagine it's the better of the two.:D

Meant the ploughing!

If I had to spend the day at one, I'd probably go Busaras, tbf. I can see tractors and filthy farmers any day of the week. The lads outside Busaras probably wouldn't tell you how much they love Nathan f*cking Carter too so thats a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Coddle is great. My ma raised me on it sure and we are all Dubs.

No, no, no, no, no.

Coddle, i think you'll find, is the food of the gods:mad:

A vengeful god, maybe. One who wishes awful digestion problems on his subjects. Nearly transparent, boiled sausages? Ah c'mon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

A vengeful god, maybe. One who wishes awful digestion problems on his subjects. Nearly transparent, boiled sausages? Ah c'mon!
    Your digestive system is the problem then Deebles. No wonder you post so much in the etiquette thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You obviously haven't had it with methadone drizzled over it. Game changer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Anyone who doesn't eat coddle needs to examine their direction in life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

cjmc wrote: »
    I was at it once. In Carrigtwohill. I went as a lad I knew had a stand for wrought iron gates he made.
    I had a walk around and there's alot of interesting stuff, to me anyway.
    Coming near the close we shut up shop and headed to the beer tent. Great night , great band , and a great bit of chatting up.
    One day is enough though.
    I suppose you could call it a farmers EP
    But what if you're not into line dancing? :confused:

Advertisement