Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk X: The Long Hard Road to a Semi. MOD WARNING POSTS #1, #1474, #5707

Options

Comments

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If Japan had to have 6-7 days I would have expected them to beat Scotland as well......

They gave Scotland a bit of a game but Scotland never looked quite at top gear.

If Scotland are as poor as they've looked in the warm ups it's very much game on however.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They gave Scotland a bit of a game but Scotland never looked quite at top gear.

If Scotland are as poor as they've looked in the warm ups it's very much game on however.

Yeah, Japan completely fell apart in the second half and you have to think the short turnaround had a part to play in that.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That was very poor from World Rugby

They have made it up to Japan this time. Japan have the perfect draw to achieve their aims of making a quarter final.

Start with a hit-out against the lowest ranked team in the competition, then on to Ireland who will either be well on the way to topping the group or in the doldrums after a loss. Third match against a disappointing Samoa finishing with what might be the 2nd place decider against Scotland. As their last match is after Ireland's they'll know exactly what is required before kick off.

and better still they will have 8 days R+R before the scotland game, whereas the scottys have 4 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and better still they will have 8 days R+R before the scotland game, whereas the scottys have 4 days

I was gonna say that that's a bit of payback... But the Scots can afford to rest most of their first team the game before that, so the 4 day turn around won't benefit the Japanese as much as it benefitted the Scots in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

sydthebeat wrote: »

I'd overlooked that, even bigger thumbs on the scales from World Rugby so. Mind you, that penultimate match for Scotland is against a team that were beaten 14-42 at home by Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I'd overlooked that, even bigger thumbs on the scales from World Rugby so. Mind you, that penultimate match for Scotland is against a team that were beaten 14-42 at home by Connacht.

Watched the Connacht match and Jesus Russia are poor, an ail team would give them a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The Ireland-France game from the last World Cup is on Eir at the moment. It really was an absolute war.

Such a pity the win was at such a big cost as the team looked well set to go far into the tournament without the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

The Ireland-France game from the last World Cup is on Eir at the moment. It really was an absolute war.

Such a pity the win was at such a big cost as the team looked well set to go far into the tournament without the injuries.

Watching it as well myself, Henshaw really did play excellently (I had actually forgotten the impact that he had on the game). Would be such a shame if he was forced home early this time, so hopefully the mildly positive update holds true!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah watching it here, hard watch Sexton and Paul get injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tmc1963

Just listening to Brina Moore podcast, Craig Chalmers on. Says they can beat Ireland, they can definitely beat Ireland, Ireland are ageing side and they can be found out in WC. It's good for Scotland to have Ireland up first......

THey want to get SA in Qtr's as they have beaten them before.....

IT is funny the confidence these nations bring into WC

Nothing Chalmers is saying is unreasonable - he's saying 'can' not 'will'.
    Why shouldn't Scotland have a degree of confidence - they were denied a semi last time by a referee's error (and would have faced an Argentina side that they hammered in the previous year's Autumn international).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Will the team be announced when we wake up tomorrow or Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

andymx11 wrote: »
    Will the team be announced when we wake up tomorrow or Friday?

Depends what time Joe has his lunch in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We dont have a great record at world cups against 6 nations teams

1987- lost to Wales in the group stages
    1991- lost to Scotland in the group stages
    1995- beat Wales in the group stages and lost to France in the QFs
    2003- lost to France in the QFs
    2007- lost to France in the group stages
    2011- beat Italy in the group stages and lost to Wales in the QFs
    2015- beat Italy and France in the group stages

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

PTH2009 wrote: »

It’s not a coincidence that we turned that form around once Joe took us to a WC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

PTH2009 wrote: »

Really anything before 2007 was a Ireland team who was the plucky underdog. In 2007 this was a disaster but we are sick of listening about it now

2011 and 2015 are really when Ireland moved up to be a real contendor. 2011 we got outplayed by a Wales team we expected to beat and once they had our game plan we had no alternative
    2015 if we had the first team we would have won, if we had got back in front who knows what would have happened.

Scotland of course can beat us on a day but when we play to anything close to our best we will win. Even this year when we where hardly at top form and lost our starting 10 after 20 mins we still won.....

I am confident but of course it doesnt help with Heaslip punching the air at the draw for the groups. Scotland will use this.....how to get players up for a game, just keep repeating that Ireland thought this was an easy draw

We done the same in 2015 when France where overjoyed when they pulled us for the group stages.....Scotland are proud and this did not help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Weather forecast has improved for the weekend. Pretty dry and mid to high 20’s temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The 42 suggesting Farrell will start alongside Aki this weekend. Had expected Henshaw to but would be surprising to see Farrell ahead of Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The 42 suggesting Farrell will start alongside Aki this weekend. Had expected Henshaw to but would be surprising to see Farrell ahead of Ringrose.

Was it not Aki and Farrell who played together against Scotland in this year's Six Nations and performed well? Maybe Joe feels that they can repeat that performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I know Ringrose hasn’t been in brilliant form but would have thought he’d still be ahead of Farrell in the pecking order. Only thing I can think of is if earls and Kearney are out, Ringrose could cover the wing from 23, but that’s a weak argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Was it not Aki and Farrell who played together against Scotland in this year's Six Nations and performed well? Maybe Joe feels that they can repeat that performance.

Aki & Farrell against Scotland, and again against Italy until Aki got taken off at 13 minutes.
    Aki & Ringrose against England, France and Wales.

Based on the above, would probably go with Aki & Ringrose having the better understanding from longer time playing together.

I would actually like to see Farrell starting at 13 and Ringrose at 23, but not worried either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Link to article? Can’t see it on 42

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Seems like Ringrose is the nailed on 23 cover then.

I think if the weather is as bad as everyone thinks it will be then Kleyn and Ryan will start in the row. Whatever people might think of Kleyn, an armwrestle in torrential rain against a physically smaller team plays into every one of his strengths. Joe will have him empty himself for the Scots, rest him against Japan where Beirne is the ideal bench player, then he’ll do 80 against Russia and Samoa to limit the risk of injury to Ryan and Henderson.

Maybe I’m getting too into the Schmidt mindgames but it doesn’t seem inconceivable to me that Schmidt brought Kleyn specifically for these pool games, and that a fully fit and rested Toner is waiting in the wings for a call about 10 minutes after our last pool game.

Then again, maybe Toner was utter ****e in training and Kleyn is the second coming of Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sounds like the plan is to just beat Scotland to a pulp. Farrell is bigger than some of their loose forwards ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Link to article? Can’t see it on 42

https://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-centre-ireland-depth-4814327-Sep2019/

Towards end of article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Clegg wrote: »
    Sounds like the plan is to just beat Scotland to a pulp. Farrell is bigger than some of their loose forwards ffs.

If it works, it works. No bonus points for style of play!

As has been often said to me on the golf course - the scorecard doesn't say how you got there

Really anything before 2007 was a Ireland team who was the plucky underdog. In 2007 this was a disaster but we are sick of listening about it now

2011 and 2015 are really when Ireland moved up to be a real contendor. 2011 we got outplayed by a Wales team we expected to beat and once they had our game plan we had no alternative
    2015 if we had the first team we would have won, if we had got back in front who knows what would have happened.

Scotland of course can beat us on a day but when we play to anything close to our best we will win. Even this year when we where hardly at top form and lost our starting 10 after 20 mins we still won.....

I am confident but of course it doesnt help with Heaslip punching the air at the draw for the groups. Scotland will use this.....how to get players up for a game, just keep repeating that Ireland thought this was an easy draw

We done the same in 2015 when France where overjoyed when they pulled us for the group stages.....Scotland are proud and this did not help

Ireland's record against 6N teams could/should be even worse if SOB had been red carded 30 seconds into the France pool match in 2015. You'd expect that it would have been yet another loss with 14 men for virtually the whole match.

Some of the stats that have been coming up leading into this RWC are quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

blackwhite wrote: »
    the scorecard doesn't say how you got there

there aint no pictures on the scorecard lol, never a truer word spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Read that article earlier alright. Didn’t cop that when reading it.

That’s first place I’ve seen it mentioned that Farrell tipped to start ahead of Ringrose so I’m surprised that the article is claiming that it’s been widely tipped.

Find out at 7am sure but I’d be surprised to see Ringrose as 4th choice centre now

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tmc1963

Basil3 wrote: »
    Ireland's record against 6N teams could/should be even worse if SOB had been red carded 30 seconds into the France pool match in 2015. You'd expect that it would have been yet another loss with 14 men for virtually the whole match.

Some of the stats that have been coming up leading into this RWC are quite interesting.

....and if POM hadn't got away with a late take out of Hogg in this year's 6N - it was a clear YC and with that first try disallowed, as it should have been, the score could easily have gone the other way. Also Scotland lost Hogg for the rest of the match.

• Advertisement

I'm not that surprised. If the original plan was for Ringrose to bench then it's Joe's modus not to destabilise prep too late into the build up and bring in a reserve instead.

Similarly I reckon Earls was out and Larmour has been building up to play wing, hence why Conway slots into fullback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement