Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Your own message on number plate surround?

Options
  • 18-09-2019 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

The name of the garage on the black plastic surround of number plate. How would you make or get made your own message to stick over it. Must be about 10 mm wide and length of plate. ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

You'd need a wide format commercial printer.

Ideally printed on blackout vinyl with laminate (matt or gloss). Going to be slightly expensive getting made to order so see if they can bundle it in with another job they're already running at some point. Remember to ask for at least x2, they probably will have a minimum cost so ask how many you could get for that price.

If you can do the artwork yourself and save as pdf with bleed and trim marks it'll save too as they'll have minimum designer costs if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'd be careful myself.. as with non-standard fonts it's likely to be ignored 99% of the time, but you might attract the attention of a bored Garda if it was too "distinctive"

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd be careful myself.. as with non-standard fonts it's likely to be ignored 99% of the time, but you might attract the attention of a bored Garda if it was too "distinctive"

I don’t think there is any regulation to stop you writing what ever you want on the number plate surround, it’s not on the plate itself so can’t see what rule it breaks.

I’m any case every second car has number plates no where near the legal standard so it’s obviously not enforced at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s def companies that make the surrounds as one offs to order. I got one at a show years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

fkperformance will make you up a plate with standard numbers & then whatever writing you want on the surround.

I see plenty of illegal plates still around, deffo not enforced by the majority...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    no it will be legit. it is not on the number plate but on the black plastic surround over where the dealer name is.

Garda do not enforce the law on illegal show plates or norn iron yellow rear plates anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

no it will be legit. it is not on the number plate but on the black plastic surround over where the dealer name is.

Garda do not enforce the law on illegal show plates or norn iron yellow rear plates anyway

Tell that to my S.O. got pulled for a plain reflective plate, big plain script, but no EU flag on it (bike was SV650).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Tell that to my S.O. got pulled for a plain reflective plate, big plain script, but no EU flag on it (bike was SV650).
    thats one i see it all the time. Isn't that called a showplate.? No euro flag or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

What would your message be OP? am curious.

soups05 wrote: »
    What would your message be OP? am curious.
    it is a for a friend of mine and would just be an ad for his business. His car has a garage business ad there but he covered it with paint.

• Advertisement

pippip wrote: »
    You'd need a wide format commercial printer.

Ideally printed on blackout vinyl with laminate (matt or gloss). Going to be slightly expensive getting made to order so see if they can bundle it in with another job they're already running at some point. Remember to ask for at least x2, they probably will have a minimum cost so ask how many you could get for that price.

If you can do the artwork yourself and save as pdf with bleed and trim marks it'll save too as they'll have minimum designer costs if needed.
    Thanks. Good info

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Garda do not enforce the law on illegal show plates or norn iron yellow rear plates anyway
    My sister in law was pulled over a few weeks ago for having illegal plates. She was instructed to replace them and present a couple of days later at her local Garda Station with the proper plates fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The op does not change the licence plates, though.

Just the surround of the plates.

On a separate note I doubt anyone will see whatever is written on those surrounds.

There are better, more effective ways to advertise using a car.

My sister in law was pulled over a few weeks ago for having illegal plates. She was instructed to replace them and present a couple of days later at her local Garda Station with the proper plates fitted.

a garda doing his job. was it an actual traffic stop or did they just pull her over only

in my experience they do not enforce them. i see illegal ones all the time. I know of one or two who were told to change but see dozens of illegal ones

wonski wrote: »
    The op does not change the licence plates, though.

Just the surround of the plates.

On a separate note I doubt anyone will see whatever is written on those surrounds.

There are better, more effective ways to advertise using a car.

i disagree, i see the names of garages on car plates all the time. there may be more effective if you want to go big but since the space is there it may as well be for my friend than for a garage. He paid for the car.

Advertisement