Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best jeep to buy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They are a tractor with a very fast gearbox

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Bullocks wrote: »
    amacca wrote: »
    What do people make of the land rover TD5 defenders out of curiosity (mid noughties approx)...kinda like the look of them

Would it be possible to do a lot of the maintenance on them yourself?
    I was just looking at them on donedeal the other day . They are'nt loosing their value anyhow . The old boy had one for years , bit uncomfortable and a good few breakdowns . Good to pull in the field

A neighbor who wouldn't have much mechanical sympathy had an early 00's reg one for a good few years around the start of this decade. I often asked him about it at the time and since seeing as they were unusual locally. He never complained about it as such but reckoned there was always something minor wrong with it and that you'd want to be mechanically minded and have a few scrap ones available to keep it going all the time. Looking back it wasn't that old of a jeep and didn't seem to have done that much before he scrapped it but then he wouldn't be the easiest on vehicles either. Having said that he bought a 97 reg trooper around the same time that done most of the heavy work and is still going today. The same man currently runs the trooper and an 04 lwb land cruiser, his overall remarks on the Land Rover was that he wouldn't have another one so perhaps that says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭amacca

Muckit wrote: »
    They are a tractor with a very fast gearbox

I get that you wouldn't be commuting with one ideally but are they really that bad?

could you lessen the problem with aftermarket seats/suspension/shocks etc or all of the above to some extent ...if you were fairly competent with a spanner and prepared to use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A neighbor who wouldn't have much mechanical sympathy had an early 00's reg one for a good few years around the start of this decade. I often asked him about it at the time and since seeing as they were unusual locally. He never complained about it as such but reckoned there was always something minor wrong with it and that you'd want to be mechanically minded and have a few scrap ones available to keep it going all the time. Looking back it wasn't that old of a jeep and didn't seem to have done that much before he scrapped it but then he wouldn't be the easiest on vehicles either. Having said that he bought a 97 reg trooper around the same time that done most of the heavy work and is still going today. The same man currently runs the trooper and an 04 lwb land cruiser, his overall remarks on the Land Rover was that he wouldn't have another one so perhaps that says it all.

They say .......if you want to go out into the desert drive a landrover but if you want to get back drive a toyota :D

Having said that he bought a 97 reg trooper around the same time that done most of the heavy work and is still going today.

the 3.1 troopers seem to have a great rep....anyone I've asked that had one said they were tanks/reliable + more stable towing than nearly anything else

think I heard isuzu ireland had a guarantee on some trooper models engines when they first tried to sell them here and would replace them for you? could be bull**** but some lad was telling me he knew an auld lad on his third engine and they gave him a generous trade in on a D-max to try and get him out of it rather than replace the engine again

the only problem from my perspective is its hard enough to find one now that hasn't had the **** bet out of it and I presume some replacement parts would be hard to find and theres doesn't seem to be much in the line of performance/cosmetic aftermarket parts available not that I've looked very hard whereas the land rovers have had same basic shape for a long time, very high production numbers and lots of forums/info, enthusiast clubs aftermarket etc

- Im thinking of putting together an easy to work on farm jeep that I can maintain and have looking fairly decent +know I can get it through a test and not have to trade up or sell for a nice long spell - I'm thinking the landrover fits the bill.....can afford to be patient and spend months on it/wouldnt mind a project sort of thing

sick of some of the modern **** with electronics and dpfs, egrs, even when they are working you are nervous you are sitting on a nasty surprise....they only seem cost effective if you are buying them new and shifting the problems on to someone else after 3/4 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I keep repeating myself buy saying this ,pre 05 Hilux brilliant jeep as long as you are not in a hurry going anywhere or towing every day.

Having said that he bought a 97 reg trooper around the same time that done most of the heavy work and is still going today.

the 3.1 troopers seem to have a great rep....anyone I've asked that had one said they were tanks/reliable + more stable towing than nearly anything else

think I heard isuzu ireland had a guarantee on some trooper models engines when they first tried to sell them here and would replace them for you? could be bull**** but some lad was telling me he knew an auld lad on his third engine and they gave him a generous trade in on a D-max to try and get him out of it rather than replace the engine again

the only problem from my perspective is its hard enough to find one now that hasn't had the **** bet out of it and I presume some replacement parts would be hard to find and theres doesn't seem to be much in the line of performance/cosmetic aftermarket parts available not that I've looked very hard whereas the land rovers have had same basic shape for a long time, very high production numbers and lots of forums/info, enthusiast clubs aftermarket etc

- Im thinking of putting together an easy to work on farm jeep that I can maintain and have looking fairly decent +know I can get it through a test and not have to trade up or sell for a nice long spell - I'm thinking the landrover fits the bill.....can afford to be patient and spend months on it/wouldnt mind a project sort of thing

sick of some of the modern **** with electronics and dpfs, egrs, even when they are working you are nervous you are sitting on a nasty surprise....they only seem cost effective if you are buying them new and shifting the problems on to someone else after 3/4 years

The 3.1 seemed to be a bullet proof jeep alright, lots of men around here wouldn't have anything else for years​ but as you said they're nearly wore out now and did some serious work in there day. I understand what your trying to do and I'd love to try and do something similar as I haven't much faith in a lot of the second hand jeeps available at the minute. They all have the potential to be a very expensive minefield and I've first hand experience of what that's like and it's not good for the health of your bank balance or mind. Sadly I haven't hands to wipe my arse when it comes to anything mechanical so I have to research any potential jeep well and hope for the best. I sat into a 192 swb Land Cruiser today and tbh if I had the price of it or could afford the repayments I'd have it. Yes it's expensive but peace of mind is priceless imo, only need to keep diesel in it for a few years and go again. Let it be someone else's problem when it starts acting up and it will at some stage despite all you'll hear about one brand versus another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭9935452

It wast the 3.0l that gave the bother.
    Engine was good but the injector seals were bad.

Seals would go and pump diesel into the engine. Engine would rev itself to death
    When that happened they replaced the engine.
    They did a scrappage scheme around 2010 to take the 3.0 off the road, basically the Dmax was around half price

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Has anyone any experience with the Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 2000's up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

9935452 wrote: »

Seals would go and pump diesel into the engine. Engine would rev itself to death
    They did a scrappage scheme around 2010 to take the 3.0 off the road, basically the Dmax was around half price

That's what happened our 05 trooper when it was still in warranty. Put in a new engine after a long fight, they wanted to put in a reconditioned engine first. Then that engine went in 2015 and now it's on its third engine. Lucky enough there are 2 good isuzu mechanics not too far away. Going well now, has 200k miles on it. Mainly pulling the sheep trailer or some breed of trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

davidk1394 wrote: »
    That's what happened our 05 trooper when it was still in warranty. Put in a new engine after a long fight, they wanted to put in a reconditioned engine first. Then that engine went in 2015 and now it's on its third engine. Lucky enough there are 2 good isuzu mechanics not too far away. Going well now, has 200k miles on it. Mainly pulling the sheep trailer or some breed of trailer

Our local IFA rep has an avensis with 450000mls on it, services it regular himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

davidk1394 wrote: »

They have such a bad reputation, people are afraid to touch them.
    I rolled the dice on Saturday and bought a 2000 lwb 3.0.
    Certificate showing a new engine from Pino Harris in 2012.
    €350 euro.
    Test booked.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    €350 euro.

Just dip it for oil once a week and put the right oil into it and it'll last a lifetime. For the pulling power in them their not as bad as a Landcruiser for diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭selectamatic

€350 euro.

How did your 3.0 to 3.1 conversion on your other trooper go Nek?

How did your 3.0 to 3.1 conversion on your other trooper go Nek?

Sent the donor 3.1 trooper down to the garage doing the job, and during the time it was lying up the injector pump seems to have failed.
    Must off been moisture in the diesel, and now it cant be got started....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

9935452 wrote: »

yep

local lad had 1 for years , every 5 years or 50K miles head off and new gasket.
    and injectors re seated

Sent the donor 3.1 trooper down to the garage doing the job, and during the time it was lying up the injector pump seems to have failed.
    Must off been moisture in the diesel, and now it cant be got started....

Ah feck that. Sorry to hear.

Ah feck that. Sorry to hear.

Pain in the hole, but at least no money spent on it yet.
    I'll see how this "new " one goes first.
    Get it hot, drop the oil and change both filters.
    Then drop the sump and check both oil pick-ups and strainers.
    Fresh 05/30 oil and keep the fingers crossed...

farmer2018 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with the Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 2000's up?

vague recollection that that the 2.5 versions were not as good as the 2.8s 3.0, 3.2s.....but that might have been older models than 2000up though ....something about timing coins/belts on 2.5s

had a 97 2.8 swb myself ..... savage jeep afaic, 300 to service every year, ran like clockwork......only shifted it on as chassis was getting worryingly corroded looking near wheel arches

know that the clutch has a reputation for being a bit weak on some pajeros around that 2000s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

wrangler wrote: »
    Our local IFA rep has an avensis with 450000mls on it, services it regular himself

I’ve a 2.0l diesal family saloon car for last 11 years. It’s old now, so I put a tow bar on it two years ago and tow my 8x5 livestock trailer everywhere with it. Marts /factories and everything farm related. Does 30mpg full with sheep or near 50mpg just knocking around without the trailer. Couldn’t justify a running a separate Jeep for a small farm.

• Advertisement

Lads, what jeep would ye recommend to commute 40 miles daily and do the odd bit of light towing 8x4 cow box. Budget €2500-€4000. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pajero would be good.
    Land cruiser too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Lads, what jeep would ye recommend to commute 40 miles daily and do the odd bit of light towing 8x4 cow box. Budget €2500-€4000. Thanks.

Do you really need a Jeep? Any able car should be able to pull an 8x4 box now and again.... jeeps are pigs on diesel.... see lads around here with them and nearly never pulling anything

simx wrote: »
    Do you really need a Jeep? Any able car should be able to pull an 8x4 box now and again.... jeeps are pigs on diesel.... see lads around here with them and nearly never pulling anything

Not really but you have more comfort with a jeep and I want a jeep, nice and high up

2008 2.2 honda crv
    2008 ford kuga (probably out of budget)
    2005 Suzuki vitara xl7

Avoid 2006+ 2.2 sante fé

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

The 3.1 seemed to be a bullet proof jeep alright, lots of men around here wouldn't have anything else for years​ but as you said they're nearly wore out now and did some serious work in there day. I understand what your trying to do and I'd love to try and do something similar as I haven't much faith in a lot of the second hand jeeps available at the minute. They all have the potential to be a very expensive minefield and I've first hand experience of what that's like and it's not good for the health of your bank balance or mind. Sadly I haven't hands to wipe my arse when it comes to anything mechanical so I have to research any potential jeep well and hope for the best. I sat into a 192 swb Land Cruiser today and tbh if I had the price of it or could afford the repayments I'd have it. Yes it's expensive but peace of mind is priceless imo, only need to keep diesel in it for a few years and go again. Let it be someone else's problem when it starts acting up and it will at some stage despite all you'll hear about one brand versus another.

Take a look at the new's any night, and see places like the war in the Middle east. They are all driving Toyota Landcruisers....of all configurations and in all sort of conditions. That says something about them over every other make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

2008 2.2 honda crv
    2008 ford kuga (probably out of budget)
    2005 Suzuki vitara xl7

Avoid 2006+ 2.2 sante fé

What’s the issue with the 2006+ Santa Fé

What’s the issue with the 2006+ Santa Fé

Injector problems are common and they're very particular with servicing. Skimp on maintenance and turbo failure is pretty common, timing belts can fail prematurely too.

They're a sow on diesel too for what they are. Personally I don't think they're a patch on the older 2.0 sante fe.

That said they're pretty cheap to buy so in certain instances they could be worth taking a chance on.

Injector problems are common and they're very particular with servicing. Skimp on maintenance and turbo failure is pretty common, timing belts can fail prematurely too.

They're a sow on diesel too for what they are. Personally I don't think they're a patch on the older 2.0 sante fe.

That said they're pretty cheap to buy so in certain instances they could be worth taking a chance on.
    Thanks
    I’ve been informed my next motor is to be a 7 seater, options are limited

Thanks
    I’ve been informed my next motor is to be a 7 seater, options are limited

A clean vitara xl7 would be a good shout they're getting on now though and it's hard find a clean one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pajero would be good.
    Land cruiser too.

Be very wary of buying a land cruiser . My dad bought a 00 one about 5 months ago. He brought it to our mechanic to look it over first as chassis can be an issue. He lifted it up checked it out and said it was fine. We bought it and it failed the doe last week on the chassis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Be very wary of buying a land cruiser . My dad bought a 00 one about 5 months ago. He brought it to our mechanic to look it over first as chassis can be an issue. He lifted it up checked it out and said it was fine. We bought it and it failed the doe last week on the chassis.

Not that bad of a fix. A bit of c channel and a coded welder for a bit of gunthering and a can of Schultz. It’ll last for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,833 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Who2 wrote: »
    Not that bad of a fix. A bit of c channel and a coded welder for a bit of gunthering and a can of Schultz. It’ll last for years.

Need an engineer's report too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I’m in the same boat myself. Do about 12,000 miles a year to work then school runs, after school activities etc. and then draw a good few cattle from marts and to factory with a tri axel etc. Running an old jeep and an old car at the minute. Was thinking about getting rid of both and buying a crew cab but filling with diesel to go to work would be painful.
    If just pulling an 8x4 would a van do your job? Much easier ran than a Jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

Kinda in a similar situation here. Thinking of upgrading to a crew cab, I've wrecked a few cars. What's d story with insurance on a commercial vehicle. I've been told I'll lose my private no claims bonus, it also impacts open driving and my driving of other vehicles ( terribly confusing for me to be able explain ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I’m in the same boat myself. Do about 12,000 miles a year to work then school runs, after school activities etc. and then draw a good few cattle from marts and to factory with a tri axel etc. Running an old jeep and an old car at the minute. Was thinking about getting rid of both and buying a crew cab but filling with diesel to go to work would be painful.

If pulling a tri axle I think the crew can pick ups may be a bit on the long side.
    Pajero land cruiser land rover be more stable me thinks.

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    If pulling a tri axle I think the crew can pick ups may be a bit on the long side.

I’d no problem with the Tri axle behind the crew cab, but I’d be in high 4wd (as crewcabs are light behind).
    The other thing is legally the crew cab shouldn’t be pulling a triaxel (towing weight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Legally u would need to use the tractor if the box was full.

Yeah but want something to throw the kids into as well. Cheap tax on them.

• Advertisement

I’d no problem with the Tri axle behind the crew cab, but I’d be in high 4wd (as crewcabs are light behind).
    The other thing is legally the crew cab shouldn’t be pulling a triaxel (towing weight)

What sort of crew cab have you? Hopefully the license would cover you if stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yeah but want something to throw the kids into as well. Cheap tax on them.

When u say cheap ... 270?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Legally u would need to use the tractor if the box was full.

Pajero here is rated for 3300. If over 3500 it's still illegal behind the tractor,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Kinda in a similar situation here. Thinking of upgrading to a crew cab, I've wrecked a few cars. What's d story with insurance on a commercial vehicle. I've been told I'll lose my private no claims bonus, it also impacts open driving and my driving of other vehicles ( terribly confusing for me to be able explain ) .

You must cancel the insurance on your domestic vehicle to carry the no claims across.
    Anyone over 25 with a full Irish license can drive vehicle but you don't have any cover getting into a different car like you might have with non commercial insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You must cancel the insurance on your domestic vehicle to carry the no claims across.
    Anyone over 25 with a full Irish license can drive vehicle but you don't have any cover getting into a different car like you might have with non commercial insurance

Another load of bollox

Yes maybe a caddy or berlingo/partner would do the job

• Advertisement

What advantage would high 4wd have over 2wd in this situation? I thought 4wd was only for use on slippery or loose surfaces and that driving for long periods on the road with it engaged would damage the drive train. I use low 4wd when driving down steep hills or reversing into awkward spots to save the clutch but would change back in high 2wd when back out on the open road.

As for the crew cab being light behind I agree but I also think how you load the trailer has a massive bearing on stability. I always try to tighten up half loads with the dividing gate to keep weight on the jeep, with full loads you just have to drive accordingly. A lad put on 2 weanlings (maybe 300kg a piece) for me at the mart one day. the dividing gate was closed half way and he left them on the back rather than putting them up the front. I only had about 10 miles to go with them but thought I never would make the house. On the straight the trailer was twitching and going round corners I was nearly back in 1st to stop it fish tailing, I never crossed 35kmh the whole way back because I'm sure all would have ended up down the field if I had.

Yes maybe a caddy or berlingo/partner would do the job

They've no towing capacity worth talking about.

Bigger vans will be plated for about 2000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

What advantage would high 4wd have over 2wd in this situation? I thought 4wd was only for use on slippery or loose surfaces and that driving for long periods on the road with it engaged would damage the drive train. I use low 4wd when driving down steep hills or reversing into awkward spots to save the clutch but would change back in high 2wd when back out on the open road.

As for the crew cab being light behind I agree but I also think how you load the trailer has a massive bearing on stability. I always try to tighten up half loads with the dividing gate to keep weight on the jeep, with full loads you just have to drive accordingly. A lad put on 2 weanlings (maybe 300kg a piece) for me at the mart one day. the dividing gate was closed half way and he left them on the back rather than putting them up the front. I only had about 10 miles to go with them but thought I never would make the house. On the straight the trailer was twitching and going round corners I was nearly back in 1st to stop it fish tailing, I never crossed 35kmh the whole way back because I'm sure all would have ended up down the field if I had.

What type of rig have you Albert ?

Muckit wrote: »
    When u say cheap ... 270?

300 odd I think. Maybe not cheap but cheaper than what I’m paying on a 05 car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone had a Ford Ranger? What are they like?

• Advertisement
Advertisement