Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for trailing indoor plants

Options
  • 12-09-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Any suggestions for indoor plants that meet the following criteria,

Will be in small vases attached to the wall.

No direct sunlight, low-medium light in general.

Fairly dry conditions with heat during the winter as they will be about 4 foot above a radiator. Although I can turn that radiator off if it's going to kill anything I put above it as there is another on the other side of the room.

Something trailing.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ivy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry Newhome, I have to contradict, of all things ivy will not survive those sort of conditions. It hates being indoors anyway, putting it in small containers that will dry out even without the radiator is a surefire way of killing it.

OP those conditions will kill most things. If you are prepared to not use the radiator then there is a remote chance you might keep something alive. Spanish moss comes to mind but I doubt that is what you want.

Spider plants may survive those conditions, they survive most things but really OP in this case I might quite seriously suggest artificial!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

A trailing succulent might do the job, something like donkey tail or string of pearls.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Again, sorry to keep being negative but the OP's description of low-medium light would not suit these succulents. They need some bright light though not direct sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

There is a fairly large window, but it wouldn't really get any sun on it and there's some large trees about 5 metres away which do affect the light. It's definitely not dark, but it's not the brightest part of the house either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

looksee wrote: »
    Again, sorry to keep being negative but the OP's description of low-medium light would not suit these succulents. They need some bright light though not direct sun.

fair point. If it weren't for the location above a radiator I'd tend to say Pothos(devil's ivy). It has a reputation for being hard to kill, but I don't know how such a drying location would affect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Hi,

Any suggestions for indoor plants that meet the following criteria,

Will be in small vases attached to the wall.

No direct sunlight, low-medium light in general.

Fairly dry conditions with heat during the winter as they will be about 4 foot above a radiator. Although I can turn that radiator off if it's going to kill anything I put above it as there is another on the other side of the room.

Something trailing.

Thanks!

Spider plants are great for low light areas and they do have downward growth so a kind of trailing (especially the baby offshoots).

I have a load of them at home in different spots, including some potted up babies from adult plants and they do really well no matter where they are, haven't managed to kill one yet.

Advertisement