Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nature in the News

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

3 billion fewer birds in the US and Canada today compared to 1970 -

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49744435

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Once again, :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This is astounding and utterly utterly disgraceful.

https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1175396828369567744

And it's not as if they can claim they didn't know what they were doing..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

State sponsored vandelism of our natural heritage has a long and ugly history in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Why did they dig it up? Is there planing for something?

I honestly don't know, but probably because it now looks "neat and tidy and clean".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's all over the news today at least; carried in the journal, on the irish times, and we had nova on the radio earlier which mentioned it on the news.

Well if they would (after a lot of agro) reinstate the wet land it would bounce back in no time. I dug out a wet area on my land to form 5 good size ponds one of which is 60 ft × 60 ft. Dug it in early spring and by late spring early summer frogs and all sorts of water insects had moved in and now it's cleared and growing bull rush and has duck landing at night .

• Advertisement

Benny mcc wrote: »
    Well if they would (after a lot of agro) reinstate the wet land it would bounce back in no time. I dug out a wet area on my land to form 5 good size ponds one of which is 60 ft × 60 ft. Dug it in early spring and by late spring early summer frogs and all sorts of water insects had moved in and now it's cleared and growing bull rush and has duck landing at night .

Benny, it would re-wild but it would not 'bounce back'. Some of the species lost will not easily recover or just repopulate the area because someone digs a few holes and fills them with water.

Benny, it would re-wild but it would not 'bounce back'. Some of the species lost will not easily recover or just repopulate the area because someone digs a few holes and fills them with water.

You don't fill them with water you need to dig where the water is all ready. They will repopulate. If you build it they will come. People often need to find the negative but it's done now so find the positive! Don't dwell on the wrong someone did out of ignorance or pure stupidity, fight to have it put back in any way you can . We had nothing here only a wet area of land but when we created a habitat they all just showed up.

You don't fill them with water you need to dig where the water is all ready. They will repopulate. If you build it they will come. People often need to find the negative but it's done now so find the positive! Don't dwell on the wrong someone did out of ignorance or pure stupidity, fight to have it put back in any way you can . We had nothing here only a wet area of land but when we created a habitat they all just showed up.

I know how to build a wetland, I have done so over many hectares in my time. The point is, there was irrevocable damage done here and there were particular species that may never return. Don't underestimate the loss here. Another wetland can certainly be created but it will not be what was there before , by a long chalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Didn't I read somewhere though that the area wasn't actually 'built' as a wetland area in the first place, it was just a dumping site for silt from other ponds, possibly from building the ponds in the park itself and had been largely ignored until the various species were discovered there relatively recently?

Alun wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere though that the area wasn't actually 'built' as a wetland area in the first place, it was just a dumping site for silt from other ponds, possibly from building the ponds in the park itself and had been largely ignored until the various species were discovered there relatively recently?

Absolutely. It was little known and unusual in it's wealth of species.

I still didn't get the point of dwelling on it as tragic as it may be. Still fight for it and move forward. What's done is done

That, to me, is like saying "Oh well, another species became extinct/the Exxon Valdez II happened again. So be it, let's not dwell on it, and move on." This is irreparable damage, what I don't understand is how you can be so flippant about it - maybe you aren't being flippant, in which case I apologise, but that's how it sounds to me.

Alun wrote: »
    have you seen the latest video? they didn't just fill in the pond, they actually created a spoil heap about 4 foot high. and it's full of rubbish:

https://twitter.com/collieennis/status/1175826504770576385

collie is booked in for morning ireland tomorrow to talk about this.

re the 'it'll bounce back' - great, you built a pond and you're seeing new life on it. you've mentioned three specific species that have appeared, and a general reference to water insects. that's welcome, don't get me wrong, but that does not mean you've got a diverse habitat (yet). some species may take many years to reappear.

have you seen the latest video? they didn't just fill in the pond, they actually created a spoil heap about 4 foot high. and it's full of rubbish
    I was referring to how the wetland area came into being in the first place not recent events. It was a pond some time ago but was filled in with silt resulting in what was there until very recently. That's what's been levelled and dumped on top of.

There's still a pond to the north of that area that's survived relatively intact.

New Home wrote: »
    That, to me, is like saying "Oh well, another species became extinct/the Exxon Valdez II happened again. So be it, let's not dwell on it, and move on." This is irreparable damage, what I don't understand is how you can be so flippant about it - maybe you aren't being flippant, in which case I apologise, but that's how it sounds to me.

Not being flippant at all. Just saying it's done gone but not irreparable. It won't be the same again but could be put back some how. Maybe not as great as was and maybe better . Just saying they can stand crying over it or deep breath and fight on. I do see it as a great shame too.

• Advertisement

Not being flippant at all. Just saying it's done gone but not irreparable. It won't be the same again but could be put back some how. Maybe not as great as was and maybe better . Just saying they can stand crying over it or deep breath and fight on. I do see it as a great shame too.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I still didn't get the point of dwelling on it as tragic as it may be. Still fight for it and move forward. What's done is done

Word of advice, if anyone ever asks you to perform a eulogy: decline.

it's interesting timing too, in that the wetlands beside the NCT centre in ballymun are also in danger of being destroyed; for pipelines for the treatment plant planned for clonshaugh.

standard institutional reaction here, really; they're not in 'productive' use so have no financial value to worry about - no one to buy off - so they're the low hanging fruit when it comes to 'what land will we pick on to disrupt when we need to get something done'.

Austria! wrote: »
    Word of advice, if anyone ever asks you to perform a eulogy: decline.

Well ok so. I'll look on in wait for this to fix it's self. Good luck with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Its a disgrace the council should be held to task (unlikely) Can only imagine that the woodlands in Rathcool will be next on their radar.

to summarise (in spirit, not in letter), SDCC's official response was essentially 'yeah we did it. whatcha gonna do about it?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

@magicbastardar certainly reads like that.
    Frogs and newts are protected under the wildlife act and a European directive if I remember rightly.
    As the eels are on the endangered list surely there must be some protection afforded to them?
    Surely then this would fall into Npws's remittance to prosecute, or is that wishful thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

On the Tallaght wetlands front this is an odd, and worrying, development

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/09/24/all-a-blur/

they don't mention a source for the claim made, which would give the claim a little more gravitas.

• Advertisement

they don't mention a source for the claim made, which would give the claim a little more gravitas.

There's no source quoted but I checked google maps myself and the area is blurred out which seems odd

could be older imagery on the google source; i'm not aware of google blurring satellite imagery like that, you'd see it far more often.
    also, the image quality is poorer compared to the apple one, which again might be older imaging.

to compare, try looking at the google street view imagery of the german embassy, compared to the satellite view; from a security point of view, you'd expect the satellite imagery to be more sensitive than the street view one, but it's street view in which thye offer the ability to blur the imagery:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3106045,-6.2029578,3a,60y,320.04h,90.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEV1XSv5Aj-8PjWBT8huoEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

could be older imagery on the google source; i'm not aware of google blurring satellite imagery like that, you'd see it far more often.
    also, the image quality is poorer compared to the apple one, which again might be older imaging.

to compare, try looking at the google street view imagery of the german embassy, compared to the satellite view; from a security point of view, you'd expect the satellite imagery to be more sensitive than the street view one, but it's street view in which thye offer the ability to blur the imagery:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3106045,-6.2029578,3a,60y,320.04h,90.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEV1XSv5Aj-8PjWBT8huoEQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks for the info, I'll take my tin foil hat off so!

you can see from the OSI.ie mapviewer (one of my favourite online resources in ireland) that that particular pond started to fill in sometime after 2011 or 2012. it wasn't there in 2000, but was there in 2005 - and had just started to fill in with vegetation between 2011 and 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Sad to see the Curlew is almost gone. I was looking enough to see one and hear one, my favorite bird.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1177485581418254336?s=19

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Sad to see the Curlew is almost gone. I was looking enough to see one and hear one, my favorite bird.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1177485581418254336?s=19

The full piece is here . https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0927/1078536-curlew-task-force/

Just to be clear, as the article isn't, they mean Irish breeding birds and not all Curlew. We still get many thousands wintering here every year. While the news is bad, it most certainly does not mean you won't see or hear one. In fact they are an easy bird to see and hear in Winter.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I have seen this reported as 100 or 150 million ,350 million.

Whats the actual number. Who counted?

If we take 150 million its the equivalent of 0.06792 % of Ethiopia land area planted.

given a population of ~100 million. That's 1.5 trees per person.

A step in the right direction ,

Taken in the context Ethiopia explosive population growth and the destruction of its forests over last 50 years its rather meaningless.

BBC's 'more or less' radio show (they analyse stats relevant to current affairs, etc.) looked at this topic, raised some of the same concerns mentioned in this thread:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07lh06y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The full piece is here . https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0927/1078536-curlew-task-force/

Just to be clear, as the article isn't, they mean Irish breeding birds and not all Curlew. We still get many thousands wintering here every year. While the news is bad, it most certainly does not mean you won't see or hear one. In fact they are an easy bird to see and hear in Winter.

Productivity in Curlew task force core area up to 0.8 this year. Two years ago it was only at 0.15 . 0.6 needed to maintain a stable population.

Not precisely news, but...

544697.jpg

Not sure if there's any truth to this but the guy tweeting is a journalist with RTE and RTE retweeted it

https://twitter.com/conorfhunt/status/1179399808546725889

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

BirdWatch Ireland have been getting a lot of reports of newly arrived, and over-flying, geese and swans this week, and the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve facebook page has been updating with new arrivals too:

https://birdwatchireland.ie/geese-return-for-the-winter/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

bkrangle wrote: »
    Not sure if there's any truth to this but the guy tweeting is a journalist with RTE and RTE retweeted it

https://twitter.com/conorfhunt/status/1179399808546725889
    It's been around Howth for the last few days. Probably a Minke.

tricky D wrote: »
    It's been around Howth for the last few days. Probably a Minke.

Unfortunately it's been found dead.

Whale spotted in River Liffey found dead in Dublin port
    http://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2019/1004/1081064-whale-dublin/

Nooo... :( That's a damn shame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Aww that is sad news. I had hoped that when it was originally spotted that this wouldn't be the outcome. Such a pity. the poor creature.

Nooo... :( That's a damn shame...
    The footage of it swimming around earlier in the week seemed to show it was fairly healthy so it comes as a bit of a surprise certainly. Very sad.

Could it have eaten something nasty while in the Liffey, or could pollution have harmed it? Or could it have collided with something?

Could it have eaten something nasty while in the Liffey, or could pollution have harmed it? Or could it have collided with something?
    That's what I was thinking, i.e. a collision of some sort. It's pretty busy there, shipping wise. I see they're saying they'll just leave it there and not remove it, so maybe we'll never know which would be a shame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement