Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gothenburg

Options
  • 16-09-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

Found super cheap flights to Gothenburg at the end of November. Thought it might be nice for the christmas markets.

The way the flights work out it would be a 3 night stay.
    Is there enough to do there for 3 days or are there other nice places nearby to visit?

Was looking at trains to Oslo also.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Interested in the replies as well, I'm off there in December. I booked months ago. The flights reduced in price by €80. You win some, you lose some :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was there years ago, i remember it being a big university city, so lots of students about, and pretty expensive. Its got good nightlife, but you'll pay for it...

Was not there during xmas markets season so cant comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Was there only for two days/one night.
    I enjoyed:
    the Haga quarter, really charming with its wooden houses, craft shops and cafès.
    the city Museum, quite good, and it has the only (exhibited) Viking ship in Sweden.

I also did a boat trip, but I guess they do not run in December as it is too cold.
    I did not go to the amusement park "Liseberg", as did not have the time; it is nearly 100 years old and must be nice at Christmas time though.

Agree that city is expensive and beware that cash is disappearing in Sweden; you can pay by card even for smaller amounts such the price of a coffee.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

otnomart wrote: »

Agree that city is expensive and beware that cash is disappearing in Sweden; you can pay by card even for smaller amounts such the price of a coffee.
    The same across all of Scandinavia, in some shops it can be difficult to find the till that takes cash. The Revolut card is your friend here and very highly recommended for anyone visiting Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

was in gothenberg for 2 weeks in the summer
    only a few shops still take cash

stayed in the radisson near the city centre,excellent hotel
    depends on your interests, you could take in an IFK match for example
    some department stores are worth a visit like NK & the biggest shopping centre Nordstan.

you can grab the bus from the airport, 25 mins from the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I've stayed in the G hotel over the main train station a few times (not during Xmas). Had looked at the train to Oslo and it was 3 hrs.

Wouldn't really recommend it ahead of lots of other European cities tbh.

I had local guides and had seen everything in a day and day two took a ferry to do island hopping.

Advertisement