Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and storing trees?

Options
  • 07-09-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if what I am thinking is a pointless exercise...

We are doing some renovations and building an extension at the moment. After this is done we plan on redesigning the garden to a more contemporary design with some hard landscaping, raised beds etc. I would hope for it all to be ready for planting in the early to mid spring.There are some existing trees but would like to plant more and with more repetition.

I have a good idea what I would like to plant and where etc... I obviously don't want to be planting anything now as the risk of damage is high with building works in progress, and the garden may be reconfigured anyway in a few months. We are renting for 6 months approx during the building work.

I have been thinking to buy a few trees that I like now (eg. Catalpa, Mimosa, Acer Senkaki FWIW), and re-plant them in larger pots now. The idea would be to then replant them again in the spring from the larger pots such that they are somewhat more established, to get a little head start.
    Would this make any sense or just pointless?

Thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ravendude wrote: »
    I have been thinking to buy a few trees that I like now (eg. Catalpa, Mimosa, Acer Senkaki FWIW), and re-plant them in larger pots now. The idea would be to then replant them again in the spring from the larger pots such that they are somewhat more established, to get a little head start.
    Would this make any sense or just pointless?
    there's no difference - in terms of how well they are established - between buying them now and buying them in spring; trees are not generally going to be actively growing now, they're more in a mode of battening down the hatches.

putting them in larger pots will do very little as they won't establish a larger root system before the spring, and as such any extra soil you would need for the larger pots would probably just fall away when you remove them from pots in the spring.

also, you're just going to make a rod for your own back, buying potted trees for planting in the ground, many months before you plant them in the ground, unless you've enough space that space is no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maybe the OP means buying root-balled and storing?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭ravendude

Hi,
    I was referring to potted. Yeah, that is kind of what I thought.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

ravendude wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was referring to potted. Yeah, that is kind of what I thought.
    Thanks!

Then no, very little point in buying potted trees and storing. They are already stunted, you just risk letting them dry out and die without an irrigation system supplying their artificial home in a pot.

Advertisement