Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company requires smartphone for clocking in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭petros1980

I totally take your word for this.
    No they won't be buying your wife a shiny new phone.

Such a funny response, dope :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP - the easy answer is no they can't force your wife to buy a smartphone any more than they could force her to buy anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Such a bizarre set up. It's so easy to spoof your location.

how?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

LeBash wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure your wife could explain that she doesnt have a smart phone and could email her hours when she has finished or call in the hours.

My guess is it's just used as a Proof of Delivery of service in a way. They will have a record of when work started and finished. It would probably be used only if the end client was querying a bill.

Its more likely the proof of delivery.
    I have seen this introduced by a care company where proof that the staff member turnd up is a manual clock in and out from the landline number of the service receiver. So it's independently verifiable by the State if they need to by checking the phone records

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

From memory this went thought the Data Protection Commissioner a few years ago the company vehicles had to have a tracker with a manual off switch that the driver controlled and the same with any IT once off the clock the employer has no basis for collecting the data, so collection or retaining it without accessing it is a breach

Only and only if the vehicle was supplied and specified allowed to be used for personal use.

A company vehicle that's only for company use does not require this facility..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

knipex wrote: »
    Only and only if the vehicle was supplied and specified allowed to be used for personal use.

A company vehicle that's only for company use does not require this facility..

Yep
    Technically if the employee can nip down to the shops over lunch in a vehicle it's personal use.

But in real life once the company expect the vehicle back in the premises at close of business and the employee finds their own way home, the company would not have to install a off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Yep
    Technically if the employee can nip down to the shops over lunch in a vehicle it's personal use.

But in real life once the company expect the vehicle back in the premises at close of business and the employee finds their own way home, the company would not have to install a off switch.

Absolutely not true.

A van can be used to travel to and from place of work and not have a "switch" fitted.

The policy on use of vehicles needs to take into account the use of trackers and specify what the vehicle can be used for. It can even allow some Limited personal use and not require the fitting of a switch. As long as everything is known, nothing is begin done in secret then there is no problem.

Fair is fair. My employer has my address anyway so the fact that the tracker shows its at my house, so what. I don't have wear and tear and fuel on my car, can spend an extra half hour in bed in the morning and home earlier most evenings. If I need to pick up something from the hardware store or garden center or drop something to the recycling center the boss is OK about it. Then why the f**k would I make a big deal.

On the other hand if it was a company car and I worked from home, the car was used as my main means of transport, then switch needs to be fitted.

Advertisement