Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Last Chance Saloon Champions Weekend

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

They should try and get One cool Poet over to Ascot, if they can get him in for the handicap. Some horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,376 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They should try and get One cool Poet over to Ascot, if they can get him in for the handicap. Some horse.
    Went from 66 rated to 90 today after a three timer in Galway and has won again today handily. Not often you see such improvement from a 7 year old.

Went from 66 rated to 90 today after a three timer in Galway and has won again today handily. Not often you see such improvement from a 7 year old.

They briefly asked one of the connections after the race and he said that the sire is Urban Poet. The horse was home bred, I think I heard in Tullamore, he added that the sires progeny all seem to be late developers. The horse was unraced in 2016 and 2017. But he did win in his first handicap as far back as 2015.

If they can get him to Ascot they should definitely go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

SonOfGoat wrote: »
    5pm ffos las, Tigerskin, around 13/8 - 7/4. This thing is an absolute cert. If anyone made any money today I'd have a few quid on this, will win.

Oh dear.

It is worth noting that fillies won all the big races. I have said it before, they are definitely on the nice cabbage.

Champion Stakes

1st, 2nd and 4th - there are plenty on here bitching about Oisin Murphy also, it could have easily been a 123 for the fillies.

Matron - In fairness colts can't win this anyways.

Flying Five - 1st and 2nd

St ledger - 1st. In fairness I think the horse got a lovely ride from Chris Hayes, she was pulling away the first few furlongs and he took a well paid off risk. Given her allowance and breeding the rest of the jockeys were caught napping, softening ground is never good to come off the pace with either. She is the first filly to win in 30 years.

I am sure that by writing this there will be a lot of clowns piping up saying I haven't a clue etc. They are actually correct, I am just a mug punter who has never trained a horse and wouldn't know the price of a bag a nuts. However I know when the stats are changing, it is my business to know that, the vets are definitely at it with the fillies. I can't prove it and I will get berated for saying it, but it is definitely on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is worth noting that fillies won all the big races. I have said it before, they are definitely on the nice cabbage.

Champion Stakes

1st, 2nd and 4th - there are plenty on here bitching about Oisin Murphy also, it could have easily been a 123 for the fillies.

Matron - In fairness colts can't win this anyways.

Flying Five - 1st and 2nd

St ledger - 1st. In fairness I think the horse got a lovely ride from Chris Hayes, she was pulling away the first few furlongs and he took a well paid off risk. Given her allowance and breeding the rest of the jockeys were caught napping, softening ground is never good to come off the pace with either. She is the first filly to win in 30 years.

I am sure that by writing this there will be a lot of clowns piping up saying I haven't a clue etc. They are actually correct, I am just a mug punter who has never trained a horse and wouldn't know the price of a bag a nuts. However I know when the stats are changing, it is my business to know that, the vets are definitely at it with the fillies. I can't prove it and I will get berated for saying it, but it is definitely on.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Labhras OMurchu

aidankkk wrote: »
    The bad run is going on too long now, so i fancy a load of horses this weekend. Making a decent profit on selections means continuing, not means a break till Cheltenham.

The Goat gets a lot of (deserved) stick on here but the most arrogant clueless poster on here must be this clown. I follow racing but don't really bet so never bothered making an account before - but what Aidan gets away with must be tackled

I understand variance so can understand losing runs on big prices but this lad's ability to not get within an asses roar of Betfair SP is phenomenal (while rabbiting on about value this and value that). Yet the ego makes him keep going. "my thread", "we missed the price" (FFS, "we" get over yourself). Tipping the same cliff horses over and over. Norway won (stopped clocks and all that) but the thread showed a huge loss. However no way would Aidan's ego let him take a break (not the first time he's taken a break only to not be able to stay away)

21-09-19
    I’ve given up tipping, but Lynchpin of my owning a stake in paddy power lucky 15

I've given up tipping, here's my tip. Please pay attention to me. 19/24, 70BSP
    Seems hard to get king of comedy beat in the next . 5/4. Should he Be odds on.

Lost on a short priced one, no 15 in a row this time (must be the greatest aftertime in the history of Boards)
    You could be right . When I used to keep stats i went 3 years with no looser under 4/1. It was only about 15 selections though.

Even assuming all the sub 4/1 shots were evs this is >30,000/1

I won't bother posting everything since he gave up tipping but kept tipping but this one is pretty special (could post millions other similar)
    Lancelot de luc seems value here 50/1 . Mark and likes soft ground . 6 places ew

Posted at the off at 50/1 when anyone with eyeballs could see the price on Betfair (13th at a BSP of 156.43). So many times this happens - at the off a tip at a fraction of BSP

I can't quote all the idiocy of the last 18-24 months I've been reading here but a select few
    Galway Plate

Lord Scoundrel
    is a bet in waiting for me for a long time now. He was one of my main hopes for Cheltenham but then didn’t run. He caught my eye behind Bellshill at Fairyhouse, and then clearly didn’t stay in the silly ground at the Irish National. He arrives here to the scene of his biggest win in this race 2 years ago, on a 1 pound lower mark. What really sticks out though is his run last year in what looks much better race. He was getting ready to challenge but got almost brought down at the second last and ended up finishing 8th, behind a couple of Grade 1 horses, after he ran wide all the way and was on a 12lbs higher mark. I don’t really see anything in this race that could end up winning grade 1s on a decent mark (Saturnes, Sub Lieutenant & Don’t Touch It seem the dangers). He has had a break and then a nice looking run over hurdles lately, surely with this race in mind. To my eye he looks one of the more likely winners, and I think he will go off about 12/1. 33/1 Ante Post is of course risky but he is surly going to go here with his history in the race.

3 Points EW 33/1 Generally

Goes off at 12/1 - try 140+ BSP. Created a thread for that one

I'll just list a few more:

03/08/19 - Mitchouka 33/1 (BSP 271.83)

07/09/19 - Lucky 15 at 20/1 (BSP 21 7/16), 33/1 (BSP 44.78 14/16), 25/1 (BSP 25.1 9/11 - can't believe he beat it), 40/1 (BSP an incredible 173.89 17/22)

Yet the odd time he flukes a bad place all the lemmings backslap and shout "Aidan you legend" thanks for that 25/1 shot that was multiples on Betfair

Profitable for years apparently but can still get on with all the joke firms, Skybet etc

When he's losing "I'm a small punter"

When he wins "we'll need the wheelbarrow"

Website (which is fairly funny if you visit) there's no P&L since 2016. wonder why?

I assume I'll get abuse and Aidan will have a strop (think I vaguely remember him crying for being pulled up for aftertiming prices) but who cares

And before anyone says the usual - "post your selections then" - as I said I don't really bet but can recognise a fraud and a charlatan a mile off

Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

You have a point, his last longshot was splash of ginge I think back a few years.

Mostly backs O'Briens 3 or 4 string but missed the Irish derby winner this year

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

The Goat gets a lot of (deserved) stick on here but the most arrogant clueless poster on here must be this clown. I follow racing but don't really bet so never bothered making an account before - but what Aidan gets away with must be tackled

I understand variance so can understand losing runs on big prices but this lad's ability to not get within an asses roar of Betfair SP is phenomenal (while rabbiting on about value this and value that). Yet the ego makes him keep going. "my thread", "we missed the price" (FFS, "we" get over yourself). Tipping the same cliff horses over and over. Norway won (stopped clocks and all that) but the thread showed a huge loss. However no way would Aidan's ego let him take a break (not the first time he's taken a break only to not be able to stay away)

21-09-19

Lost on a short priced one, no 15 in a row this time (must be the greatest aftertime in the history of Boards)

I won't bother posting everything since he gave up tipping but kept tipping but this one is pretty special (could post millions other similar)

Posted at the off at 50/1 when anyone with eyeballs could see the price on Betfair (13th at a BSP of 156.43). So many times this happens - at the off a tip at a fraction of BSP

I can't quote all the idiocy of the last 18-24 months I've been reading here but a select few

07/09/19 - Lucky 15 at 20/1 (BSP 21 7/16), 33/1 (BSP 44.78 14/16), 25/1 (BSP 25.1 9/11 - can't believe he beat it), 40/1 (BSP an incredible 173.89 17/22)

Yet the odd time he flukes a bad place all the lemmings backslap and shout "Aidan you legend" thanks for that 25/1 shot that was multiples on Betfair

Profitable for years apparently but can still get on with all the joke firms, Skybet etc

Website (which is fairly funny if you visit) there's no P&L since 2016. wonder why?

I assume I'll get abuse and Aidan will have a strop (think I vaguely remember him crying for being pulled up for aftertiming prices) but who cares

And before anyone says the usual - "post your selections then" - as I said I don't really bet but can recognise a fraud and a charlatan a mile off

Laughable

Fair play, great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

21-09-19

Laughable

Good morning goat

• Advertisement

Jesus, what a rant. Looks like Colleen Rooney has some competition on the sleuthing front here. The only problem here is that Aidan himself has admitted several times that this has been a bad year, that is off the back of many great years.

A few things you have stated are just patently wrong. The vast majority of Aidans tips are provided in the morning. Often the horses he tips shorten significantly. But having read his posts for years and checked odds checker from the time of posting, I would say in 95%of cases his quoted price was available. The other 5% were just cut prior to his post. Your SP's posted weeks and months after the fact have no relation to what was happening that morning. If Aidan was giving consistently unachievable prices he would have been pulled long ago.

The fact you have created a new account and clearly spent so much time on this is more than a little creepy and weird. Maybe it's the case that you decided to follow Aidan this year and lost a packet? Perhaps you need to get some help with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

The Goat gets a lot of

The Goat is one thing but cracking off about Aidan is moronic, one of the very, very best long shot tippers around, tis a fair endorsement to say that my account is still in the black from his tips last year! You could never say that of the Goat, or you.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

bladespin wrote: »
    The Goat is one thing but cracking off is Aidan is moronic, one of the very, very best long shot tippers around, tis a fair endorsement to say that my account is still in the black from his tips last year! You could never say that of the Goat, or you.

same here. had cracking Cheltenham last year and losers ran great races

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

There seems to be a trend on boards lately, people setting up multiple accounts just to troll basically. It started off in the GAA forum, rampant in the soccer forum lately, and now here recently, with Goat(s) and now this.

The site is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

The Horse Racing forum in a nutshell:

The 2 T's - You can't even talk about a horses without one of these muppets throwing a bunch of stats at you. Always ready to undermine decent dialogue with their superior knowledge of horse racing.
    The Young Ones - there are 2 of them in particular and they have MORE posts in 10 months then some of the old timers have in 10 years. Embarrassing the nonsense they spew
    The Trolls - enough said
    The Troll Feeders - worse then above because they fail to recognize the obvious motives of the Trolls. As thick as two short planks.
    The Nationalist - mention an English trained winner and suffer the wrath of these muppets
    The Psycho - SB
    Old Timers - always decent respectful dialogue and reasoned tips, with maybe the odd winner thrown in

Boards.ie used to be filled with the later with a few of the others sprinkled in and it made for great entertainment. Can't fathom what it is now.

Jesus wept

IMO Aidan makes valuable and well thought out comments. It is his opinion and a pretty educated one at that, I believe.

Posters like our new "friend" this morning slamming a regular poster like that may only serve to drive regular contributors away.....something that this forum cannot afford to do.

Betting on horse racing is based on personal opinions. Sadly there are few here that don't respect any opinion other than their own. Its this attitude which is part of what is killing this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I think the new guy has made some fair points.

Aidan did say he would jack it in till Cheltenham if Irish Champions weekend didn’t go well and he hasn’t stuck to that. I personally don’t care whether he puts up selections or not but why make a solemn declaration like that if you don’t intend to stick to it? The Greatest Of All Time himself said something similar recently about how he’d never post again if bla, bla, bla, he was back within days and got dog’s abuse rightly so.

On the value aspect, I think the suggestion is that Aidan couldn’t be a great judge if he’s advising at particular prices, and then (with the benefit of hindsight obviously) it turns out that the betfair SP is much higher. There is no accusation of putting up tips at advised prices when they’ve gone.

The fandom thing, I can see how it would go to a person’s head to have an army of followers on here thanking your winning tips. Why the followers do it I have no idea. The height of the Delboy thread was pathetic ….. “any word from the Kid today Del?”I] Even the Goat with his unreasoned one-liners has at least 1 very loyal follower.

Seeing that stuff would wind up certain people including this Labhras clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

It seems a few on here back a couple of the forum tipsters winners and then become overly protective of them.
    The tipster become above questioning despite many, many bad calls because a few backed a big priced winner he tipped many moons ago.

There's loads of examples of this, but you're rowing against the tide when you ask legitimate questions. The fanboys come out in force and the nonsense they spout drowns out any reasonable debate. Best just to ignore them and leave them massaging the ego of their favourite tipster. Not worth the time or effort to do anything else imo as your genuine queries will be disregarded and questions about how many winners you've tipped becomes the defence. Pointless.

I'm a huge believer in "attack what I say, don't attack me for saying it". Unfortunately most posters attack me for saying it
    Good morning goat

Yawn
    A few things you have stated are just patently wrong

Such as? Very happy to discuss what is it that I said that is factually incorrect
    The vast majority of Aidans tips are provided in the morning. Often the horses he tips shorten significantly. But having read his posts for years and checked odds checker from the time of posting, I would say in 95%of cases his quoted price was available. The other 5% were just cut prior to his post. Your SP's posted weeks and months after the fact have no relation to what was happening that morning. If Aidan was giving consistently unachievable prices he would have been pulled long ago.

I genuinely have no idea what this is about. My point was Aidan is clueless. If you take his average price advised, stand on its shoulders looking through a telescope you'll barely get even so much as a glance of BSP. Not sure what that nonsense is about
    The fact you have created a new account and clearly spent so much time on this is more than a little creepy and weird

It could be worse, I could spend my days on here defending scumbag IRA murderers
    Maybe it's the case that you decided to follow Aidan this year and lost a packet? Perhaps you need to get some help with that.

You obviously missed this bit "I don't really bet but can recognise a fraud and a charlatan a mile off"

In any case why would someone calling a poster clueless be "patently wrong" if they'd followed said clueless poster and "lost a packet"? It's s bit like that error in excel where you try divide by zero
    bladespin wrote: »
    The Goat is one thing but cracking off about Aidan is moronic, one of the very, very best long shot tippers around, tis a fair endorsement to say that my account is still in the black from his tips last year! You could never say that of the Goat, or you.

Laughable - see point re. his advised price vs BSP. The fact a guy uses the moniker "longshot value" but can't get near BSP is funny, the fact you defend it is even funnier
    Slattsy wrote: »
    There seems to be a trend on boards lately, people setting up multiple accounts just to troll basically. It started off in the GAA forum, rampant in the soccer forum lately, and now here recently, with Goat(s) and now this.

The site is a shambles.

You'll have to elaborate

One clueless spoofer (Goat) is called out (correctly) on an hourly basis for being clueless

Calling out another clueless spoofer is trolling?
    TheTorment wrote: »
    IMO Aidan makes valuable and well thought out comments. It is his opinion and a pretty educated one at that, I believe.

May I ask for some examples?

Most of his posts are nonsense one liners telling you 33/1 is value about a horse who starts multiples of that vs BSP
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    It seems a few on here back a couple of the forum tipsters winners and then become overly protective of them. The tipster become above questioning despite many, many bad calls because a few backed a big priced winner he tipped many moons ago.

There's loads of examples of this, but you're rowing against the tide when you ask legitimate questions. The fanboys come out in force and the nonsense they spout drowns out any reasonable debate. Best just to ignore them and leave them massaging the ego of their favourite tipster. Not worth the time or effort to do anything else imo as your genuine queries will be disregarded and questions about how many winners you've tipped becomes the defence. Pointless.

This is exactly it

Aidan is god and no amount of losses will turn people's heads. People rally around their favourite and rather than listen to justified criticism spout nonsense about trolling

If people want to attack my posts with actual facts and reasoning I'm ready to debate. If they just want to deflect, go into a huddle with the forum regulars and say everything's fine then go ahead.

Aidan's mantra is:

1) is it an O'Brien non 1st string?
    2) has it no chance?
    3) despite 2 is it still woefully underpriced?

We may just have found an Aidan tip. I'll stick myself in the aftertime thread for this but with another poster on here (I'll not name - wouldn't be fair) we've often been able to predict which no hoper he'll tip in advance of a big race day.

• Advertisement

My first tip on here, rather than "troll" the Champions Day thread

Aidan to tip Capri ew

Capri to start way bigger at BSP

Capri to finish unplaced

(NAP)

Aidan to tip I Can Fly and/or So Perfect (NB)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

You are wrong to be comparing BSP with the prices he is quoting.
    Fair enough some times it is much much bigger but I would imagine most of the value that Aidan is looking at is in the place part of the each way bet especially in races with enhanced place terms.
    With longer priced horses there will not be value compared to BSP but there most definitely could be savage value on the place part of the bet with enhanced place terms etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I It's s bit like that error in excel where you try divide by zero

Don't you know how to stop that? :eek:

You are unhinged.

famagusta wrote: »
    You are wrong to be comparing BSP with the prices he is quoting.
    Fair enough some times it is much much bigger but I would imagine most of the value that Aidan is looking at is in the place part of the each way bet especially in races with enhanced place terms.
    With longer priced horses there will not be value compared to BSP but there most definitely could be savage value on the place part of the bet with enhanced place terms etc...

In theory I'd agree but a few issues:

- for the most part extra places are Skybet at al only, online only etc so effectively "mugs only"
    - when unlocking edge on the place part you sacrifice on the win part (in this person's case enormously). Only if you get more on the place part than you give up on the win part is it worthwhile, Aidan never references this and I'll bet doesn't even realise it. Often he tips win only and Betfair price and the time and subsequent BSP is much bigger
    - even though some of these markets are more difficult to lose on than win Aidan has still managed to hemorrhage dough over the time I've been reading this forum, has managed to "give up" numerous times but still always manages to start back looking for appreciation and attention
    You are unhinged.

Many thanks for your lucid, intelligent and well argued rebuttal to the points I made clearly pointing out how wrong I am rather than resorting to the usual law of the internet where metaphorically one picks up ones football and goes home. Probably worth re-quoting this - a very, very sensible post
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    It seems a few on here back a couple of the forum tipsters winners and then become overly protective of them.
    The tipster become above questioning despite many, many bad calls because a few backed a big priced winner he tipped many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

What a tulip, needs to look for a nice pot to stick himself in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

21-09-19

Laughable

I agree with a lot of what your saying but it doesn't seem to bother most posters on the forum in fact i think your the first person voice your frustration.
    Just ignore his posts and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Are people's lives really that sad that they have this much bitterness against a lad who's posting his fancies online? I really enjoy reading Aidan's posts and listening to his podcasts, it's great having him on boards, it's much better than reading people coming on and picking holes in his choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Earendil

The Jman wrote: »
    Are people's lives really that sad that they have this much bitterness against a lad who's posting his fancies online? I really enjoy reading Aidan's posts and listening to his podcasts, it's great having him on boards, it's much better than reading people coming on and picking holes in his choices!

Very well put. That’s all he does, stick up his long shot fancies. The tosser who wrote the whinge is just another login from anitsam/ridesagoat/sting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Slattsy wrote: »

The site is a shambles.

Can admin sort this by showing IP addresses or even last 3 digits or something
    Expose the frauds

Advertisement