Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statute books: Anything on racist speech?

Options
  • 14-09-2019 7:06pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where would I find some clear explanation on the freedom of (racist) speech and neo-nazi paraphernalia?
    Just wondering how much I have to put up with.

I did a search in the book of statutes, with no luck.

Thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Oink wrote: »
    Where would I find some clear explanation on the freedom of (racist) speech and neo-nazi paraphernalia?
    Just wondering how much I have to put up with.

I did a search in the book of statutes, with no luck.

Thanks for any pointers.

Article 40.6.1 of constitution.

No anti nazi negislation in Ireland but such statements made common to the doctrine may be breaches of other legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/html
    Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kevin3

Just looking to flesh this out a bit more. I understand that incitement to hatred is an offence but when exactly is the line crossed?

Is a person on the street saying "immigrants not welcome" illegal or would it have to be "brown people not welcome" or is this type of thing all protected by the constitutional right of freedom of expression? Does the incitement have to be in the extreme end of the scale such as advocating attacks on all of a group in a protected status outlined in the act?

Would a KKK or neo-nazi rally be facilitated and protected by the Gardai like you see by police in the US.

I just can't see where the line can be drawn between what is incitement and what is freedom of expression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Its a very vague law for Ireland and is rarely used in favour of more simple public order act offences

if some one feels that they are the subject of a racist comment of if some one else witnesses some thing that they feel is racist they can make a statement and a prosecution can be made under the act below .

the examples you outlined above would seem to be more political statements and would not cross the line imo.

i think in the current climate a right wing meeting would be prohibited by a local super in order to preserve public order . (cant find the law on that )

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/print

Advertisement