Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER assesment costs

Options
  • 27-08-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

I've a question around whats involved - and therefore how price is effected, when re-doing a BER.

So, I had a BER done as part of a grant 3yrs ago. Now I'm getting more grant work done and need a new BER.
    To my thinking this means taking the old BER, and changing the things that have been done as part of the grant works (and are therefore documented and certifiable) and generating the new cert.

This strikes me as less effort than a brand new BER and could work out to be cheaper??

For all you assessors on this board, would you charge for a full BER or do you have different rate for the above scenario?
    If you have a special rate for "post works cert", does it matter if it was a different assessor who did the original one?

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Maybe they would take that view and offer a cheaper quote, if you take on the risk that the previous BER survey is 100% accurate and take on the costs of being audited, if it is audited.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the charge is most definitely based upon the size of the house, the description of the house (single storey, dormer, etc) and the year it was built (with the older being the more difficult)

my fee starts at €250 + vat for a standard 3 bed semi (within say 10 KM)

the most ive charged was for a standard BER was €450 + VAT

to be honest they are not really worth our while in the office as there is not much made on them... even at that price. Between the ever increasing technicalities that have to be researched during the assessment, plus the time involved in the ever increasing auditing of assessments (which i have to build into the cost of each assessment)

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the charge is most definitely based upon the size of the house, the description of the house (single storey, dormer, etc) and the year it was built (with the older being the more difficult)

my fee starts at €250 + vat for a standard 3 bed semi (within say 10 KM)

the most ive charged was for a standard BER was €450 + VAT

to be honest they are not really worth our while in the office as there is not much made on them... even at that price. Between the ever increasing technicalities that have to be researched during the assessment, plus the time involved in the ever increasing auditing of assessments (which i have to build into the cost of each assessment)

If you were called back to a house you did 2 years ago to issue a new cert based on recent heating upgrades, would you still charge the 250+?

i.e. is it the same hassle for you, or is it easier/quicker?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ArrBee wrote: »
    If you were called back to a house you did 2 years ago to issue a new cert based on recent heating upgrades, would you still charge the 250+?

i.e. is it the same hassle for you, or is it easier/quicker?

assuming a standard house, i might save 15 minutes but not having to remeasure every window.

That being said though, if i was audited, i would be expected to have a new survey carried out.

Any other assessors out there that take a different approach?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ArrBee wrote: »
    Any other assessors out there that take a different approach?

Not if they want to remain registered with the SEAI.
    There is too much of a audit risk, and some guys are audited twice a year. If you re doing things wrong, then you get points attached to your name on the register. Not worth the risk.

I got one done on my sisters house in Dublin last year. All original as built in 2004 so the cost was 150e.

I’m ringing around for my own place now which has been heavily extended and renovated so the quotes I’m getting are 230-250.

kceire wrote: »
    Not if they want to remain registered with the SEAI.
    There is too much of a audit risk, and some guys are audited twice a year. If you re doing things wrong, then you get points attached to your name on the register. Not worth the risk.

I got one done on my sisters house in Dublin last year. All original as built in 2004 so the cost was 150e.

I’m ringing around for my own place now which has been heavily extended and renovated so the quotes I’m getting are 230-250.

I can see why extending and renovating would require a full survey, But if all changes are "external" as such, is it really "wrong" to use an existing xml and update only the few changes?
    Why would that through up the fear of an audit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP:
    Have you ever been audited, say by Revenue?
    Whose PI is on the line here?
    As SB says the time saved is minimal as you can't assume that there have been no other changes so a full site visit will be required.
    Given the grief attached to an SEAI audit, even if every thing is 100%, cutting corners and taking on more risk is madness.
    Do you have the XML file?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement