Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner: what line? Canal and Coast.

Options
  • 01-08-2019 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I've been gifted a rod and some tackle. It's a telescopic Amazon job so not great, bit it packs down small and is perfect for me to take on my cycling tours.

I have a trip planned where a lot of it will be along a canal and then to the sea side. I'd like to do a spot of fishing in the canal and then mackerel at the coast.

I'm a total amateur but from reading it seems that jigging in the canal for perch and using a Dexter wedge type thing off the pier for mackerel is the way to go. As it's a cycling trip space is at a premium.

What line should I use, can I use the same for both (this would be ideal given lack of space) or do I need two different types? I've tried reading lots but it's so confusing. Would 10lb braid do for both?

Do I need stronger or weaker?

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If you want to use a line for both, id definitely go braid, but probably up it to 20lb at least, just for the coast really and you can use it for other species aswell then.

Advertisement