Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching eir - some complex requirements

Options
  • 11-09-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Currently have an eir landline and fibre broadband.

Landline is very rarely used and only kept due to a combination of inertia (had to have it for years due to DSL) and fear (of missing calls from people/business who only ever had the landline number - there are bound to be a few as the number has been in service 30 years+ although we did pick up an extra leading digit at somepoint in the 90s!)

What I would like:
    1. move to virgin broadband and no phone service
    2. port landline number to VOIP supplier and:

- have all calls ring on 2 landline phones in separate houses (connected to SIP gateways like this or this)
      NB no phone should have priority, both should ring simultaneously and whoever picks up can take the call first gets to talk.

- If there is no answer on the house phones, it should support 'hunt groups' so it can ring on a mobile after a few rings on the house phones.
      NB The mobile is an iPhone (so no native SIP client available) therefore i would like to divert to it rather than use SIP. Aware that this would mean also being billed for incoming calls but don't mind given low rates and infrequent inbound calls.

- The calls diverted to the mobile should preserve caller ID, i.e. the caller ID on mobile should show the original caller number

- some sort of spam or cold call filtering would be fantastic (i.e. if the caller is on a spam blacklist don't even ring or divert)

- Cheap outbound international phone calls (UK and EU mobiles) should be possible from either of the house phones AND the mobile (OK to use a SIP app for this)

- One of the houses has a monitored alarm. I'm presuming I can wire an output from the SIP gateway into the input of the master socket so all RJ11 jacks throughout the house work and the alarm can still dial out? Will I have issues if the alarm cannot 'seize the line'? Can I forgo line seizure and have the alarm work fine?

I think all I need can be had from irishvoip.com's €24.60 package (+ call costs) if the ringing rules etc can be configured on one of the gateways in one of the houses.

Otherwise it seems like i would need some sort of proxy server between the phones in the houses and irishvoip. What do i have to look for to meet those needs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Hi Jumbone,

I had to do something different yet similar a number of years ago circa. 2011. While there may be better solutions available today, I wouldn't be aware of, I'll let others chime in. However, I'll pass on the solution I used that worked flawlessly and was a set and forget. www.sipsorcery.com

It is basically an online PBX where you can set up all your voip providers in one list and all your sip clients (handsets) in another list. You can then create pretty complex incoming and outgoing call plans which you can apply to each connection (i.e. provider or client).

I've no affiliation with same but do have a paid plan that is worth while for me. While you do have to get down and dirty with the call plans (python), once you do look through an example they are pretty easy and intuitive to set up and work with.

I'm not sure it will do everything you are looking for but it might help you on the journey. I'm also ignoring the possibility there is a voip provider that would allow you such customisation. I know blueface would pretty much solve your first 3/4 requirements but then maybe goldfish or irishvoip could also but I have no experience with these.

I've no experience with monitored alarms unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure that first gateway you linked is a clone of the Linksys PAP2T. You can get these used original on ebay for cheap and they're rock solid in my experience. Other option is to just buy SIP phones which would plug straight into router or switch and be an all in one solution.

Jim

Advertisement