Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How clean is electric car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

mischascha wrote: »
    Sounds like a disaster to me:> Check what happened in Spain after 10 years of government solar incentives:>

I can't help but smile......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Anothe point of view here to ingnite the disagreement...

To my knowledge an ICE would have 100 times more moving parts as opposed to an EV... 20 vs 2000 or so...
    Logically speaking, someone has to produce and keep spares for 100 times more parts. How clean’s that environmentally wise? With 100 times more parts a large amount would likely fail/get worn over the life time of the car - waste goes somewhere as there’s no 100% recycling here.
    Let’s add the engine oil changes... here it becomes nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

peposhi wrote: »
    Anothe point of view here to ingnite the disagreement...

To my knowledge an ICE would have 100 times more moving parts as opposed to an EV... 20 vs 2000 or so...
    Logically speaking, someone has to produce and keep spares for 100 times more parts. How clean’s that environmentally wise? With 100 times more parts a large amount would likely fail/get worn over the life time of the car - waste goes somewhere as there’s no 100% recycling here.
    Let’s add the engine oil changes... here it becomes nasty!

In addition, the biggest component (and one that people focus most on) is the battery, which is maybe made of a handful of parts, all which can be recycled:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

peposhi wrote:
    To my knowledge an ICE would have 100 times more moving parts as opposed to an EV... 20 vs 2000 or so... Logically speaking, someone has to produce and keep spares for 100 times more parts. How clean’s that environmentally wise? With 100 times more parts a large amount would likely fail/get worn over the life time of the car - waste goes somewhere as there’s no 100% recycling here. Let’s add the engine oil changes... here it becomes nasty!

Yes and when one of those parts fail on a conventional car you bring it to a mechanic..how easily fixable are the components of an electric car? Another point is apart from who do you bring it to is HOW you get it there. When EVs breakdown you can't push them they have to be taken on a lowloader .
    You're going to find the issue of repairs an even bigger bugbear than the issue of charging,range and price.

How many people live in apartments? How will they charge their cars? Who's going to pay to fit out all these chargepoints? Won't the huge increased demand send the price of electricity skyrocketing?

• Advertisement

Yes and when one of those parts fail on a conventional car you bring it to a mechanic..how easily fixable are the components of an electric car? Another point is apart from who do you bring it to is HOW you get it there. When EVs breakdown you can't push them they have to be taken on a lowloader .
    You're going to find the issue of repairs an even bigger bugbear than the issue of charging,range and price.

Most breakable components are the same. Brakes, shocks, bushings, panels, glass etc. What's left is battery, inverter, motors, controllers.
    I don't know what the failure rate is, but I don't see much going wrong with most of this stuff. There's not even much to diagnose.
    Tesla got bad press recently over taking so long for repairs, but they were crash repairs, not component failures.
    I had a look through the Leaf service manual a while back, and I think for the first few years it's mainly visual inspections and cabin filter replacements.
    How many people live in apartments? How will they charge their cars? Who's going to pay to fit out all these chargepoints? Won't the huge increased demand send the price of electricity skyrocketing?

I assume you wouldn't buy an EV without having a solid place to charge.
    Chargepoints are provided by the ESB, EV companies, garage forecourts, and maybe some private companies providing on street charging.
    They not expensive to put in, all you need is power.

The grid in Ireland and the UK has plenty of spare capacity for EV's and with more and more renewables (public and private) the potential for increasing capacity grows every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My biggest concern and annoyance comes from conversations with people saying that they drive with zero emissions, and that its a clean energy. Boring of fossil fuels is contributing to environmental pollution and degrade surroundings, and it is at the moment the major way of producing power that is used for those vehicles.

EVs in Ireland are charged mostly at night when electricity is cheap and to a large extent made from wind

I can power my own EV either at night (right now wind is generating 65% of the total electricity production in Ireland) or from my large solar PV array, that produces more electricity per year than the average Irish household consumes

Zero emissions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Yes... and usually when you bring a 'broken' car to a 'mechanic' they'll most likely say... "not worth fixing, scrap 'er and buy a new one"
    DPF issues, cars with high mileage burning oil, timing chain or belt failures... some of the 'minor' issues that effectively write off a car of a certain value/age. Generally speaking ICE cars pre 2008 are getting worthless by the day, primarily because of road tax.
    And as for not being able to 'push' EV's.... 100% of the broken down ICE cars arrive to my workshop on the back of a transporter, in 40 odd years I've yet to see a customer push one from where it broke down.
    Repairing EV's is a simple case of re educating yourself in the procedures required, nothing more.
    I know mechanics who can't or wont fix certain brands of modern cars.
    People need to get over this debate about EV's as opposed to anything else. They are simply an alternative. No one is forcing anyone to buy one.
    And as for where do you bring them if they break down... I would have thought that was pretty obvious....
    Nissan
    Renault
    Hyundai for example....
    I'm fairly certain they have a dealer network.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

swarlb wrote: »
    People need to get over this debate about EV's as opposed to anything else. They are simply an alternative. No one is forcing anyone to buy one.

Indeed. And may I say thank you to the tax payers who gave me €10k subsidy for buying one? And the free home charger plus free installation of same. And the free public charging.

The shameful era of paying subsidies for people buying cancerous diesels has hopefully come to an end.

EVs are exact same as ICE to repair with a huge difference in the likelihood something to go wrong with it due to it’s construction

1 Tesla went on fire - all over the news and the story was chewed for months.
    In year 2017 in USA alone 168 000! cars went on fire and nobody gives a monkey (the only positive is that the car fires were decreased from 456 000! in 1980)
    How about that?
    How environmentally friendly is that?!?

And let’s sum up here some personal experience:
    110000km over 3 years and 3 Leafs in total.
    151 L24 - after six months of owning - heat pump failure - replaced under warranty
    161 L30 - 3 years into it’s life - wheel bearing - replaced under warranty
    151 L24 - zip/zero/nada issues

A lad that got his Leaf totalled in a crash a couple of weeks ago had 180000km and not even brake pads changed in it...
    Or the other lad with 240 something thousand km in his with a washer bottle replaced...

I personally know of a lad who changed 2! engines in his 151 Nissan Quashqai
    And only in the last six months I had 2 colleagues with engines gone in their ‘08 and ‘12 Ford Focus’s and you know what - both of them are looking now to get an EV.

I stand correct here but as far as I remember on the official presentation of the L40 in Dublin it was announced that for 260 000 Leafs sold globally there were a total of 3 cars that failed and had to be replaced.
    Or the Nissan mechanics themselves discussing the most reliable car they’ve seen with the least repairs required - Leaf...

So, I totally disagree with you on this

• Advertisement

Orebro wrote:
    If there is a power failure you can't pump petrol or diesel either.

You can use jerry cans or a generator. Can you charge an EV from a generator?

Yep. Just plug it in.

Also, you could feasibly power your house from your car easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DarioFER

Electric cars are clean if they are sources through the renewable sources.

Absolutely yes.

Nobody is saying EVs are the cleanest nor most environmentally friendly. But they are certainly cleaner than any ICE.

This is an excellent article that summarises what’s actually happening:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html#

There’re three parts and it’s a great read...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

DarioFER wrote: »
    Electric cars are clean if they are sources through the renewable sources.
    Which is very easy to do if your supplier sources 100% of their energy from renewables.

Some people argue that you can't ensure that all your electrons come from those renewable sources as it's the one grid. Of course you can't but it's irrelevant, for every kWh you use an equivalent kWh has been generated renewably somewhere in the country.

And just to be totally pedantic, practically none of the electrons you use have ever been in any kind of generator, renewable or fossil powered. The circuit that powers your home is totally isolated from the power station by several transformers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

TheChizler wrote: »
    ...And just to be totally pedantic, practically none of the electrons you use have ever been in any kind of generator, renewable or fossil powered. The circuit that powers your home is totally isolated from the power station by several transformers :D

And electrons, being of negative charge, actually "flow" the other way, that is they pop into the next adjacent "slot", they don't actually travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I live in an apartment, with an assigned space and adjacent storage unit - which conveniently has power that goes to my meter. I only have a PHEV right now so the standard 13A sockets do me fine, but if I change to a full EV I would need to investigate upgrading that to 32A - and I expect I would be the one paying for that. But the homeowners could just say no (I'm renting) - I think there needs to be legal framework for EV charging installation, especially for tenants. People with only on-street parking are in an even worse position.
    Another point is apart from who do you bring it to is HOW you get it there. When EVs breakdown you can't push them they have to be taken on a lowloader .
    Who the hell pushes their car to a mechanic? lol
    Many (most?) car insurers offer breakdown cover, so it's probably going on a flatbed anyway.
    As others have said, there's less to go wrong, and they generally don't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Its becoming clear to me that your biggest issue is fear of the unknown. Your boards name is apt. :D

Nothing wrong with asking the questions, some of which are valid questions, but they are not reasons to not proceed with EV adoption and the answer to those questions doesnt change that EV's are cleaner than ICE.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. And may I say thank you to the tax payers who gave me €10k subsidy for buying one? And the free home charger plus free installation of same. And the free public charging.

The shameful era of paying subsidies for people buying cancerous diesels has hopefully come to an end.

Just to be clear...My daily driver is a 20 year old Land Rover with a diesel engine (which I use to tow loads of turf, and broken down cars), I burn turf in a range which heats my house and cooks my food.
    I think wind turbines are beautiful looking machines, akin to a modern version of steam powered engines, and if I could I'd love a smaller version in my back garden to 'power' the house. Our 'family' car is a 12 year old petrol. I'd love an electric powered car, as even one with a short range would suit our needs. I've been looking at cheap Leafs, there is one on Donedeal at the moment for close on 6k, so they are getting more affordable.
    But on the EV's versus ICE debate lets' try a little test...
    In the next post substitute an electric car and type in 'steam engine'
    And substitute a normal diesel or petrol car with 'horse'
    It's also about time we had some posts from the FLA on here, they've been suspiciously absent from the debate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

For on street parking, this looks like the solution. I saw a Fully Charged vlog about it. You plug in your car, tell the app what lamp post you are at and it i initiates the charge over 4G and bills you accordingly. Cheap to install as you are adding a smart socket to existing electrical infrastructure. Would probably pay for itself very quickly.

stimpson wrote: »
    For on street parking, this looks like the solution. I saw a Fully Charged vlog about it. You plug in your car, tell the app what lamp post you are at and it i initiates the charge over 4G and bills you accordingly. Cheap to install as you are adding a smart socket to existing electrical infrastructure. Would probably pay for itself very quickly.

These are already installed in Dublin.....just a few so far but it shows Ireland can do the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OSI wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm talking about and I refuse to acknowledge that anybody else does. I demand you accept my poorly conceived notions and pat me on the back!
    Seems that about 75% of boards posts are covered by the above.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Seems that about 75% of boards posts are covered by the above.

More along the 95% I would expect

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How will you get the petrol or diesel into the jerry can?
    I assume a power cut will come out of the blue, so the garages will be closed due to no power, and their pumps wont work without power...................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

swarlb wrote: »
    Yes... and usually when you bring a 'broken' car to a 'mechanic' they'll most likely say... "not worth fixing, scrap 'er and buy a new one"
    DPF issues, cars with high mileage burning oil, timing chain or belt failures... some of the 'minor' issues that effectively write off a car of a certain value/age. Generally speaking ICE cars pre 2008 are getting worthless by the day, primarily because of road tax.
    And as for not being able to 'push' EV's.... 100% of the broken down ICE cars arrive to my workshop on the back of a transporter, in 40 odd years I've yet to see a customer push one from where it broke down.
    Repairing EV's is a simple case of re educating yourself in the procedures required, nothing more.
    I know mechanics who can't or wont fix certain brands of modern cars.
    And as for where do you bring them if they break down... I would have thought that was pretty obvious....
    Nissan
    Renault
    Hyundai for example....
    I'm fairly certain they have a dealer network.
    It will be interesting to see how car manufacturers transition to the EV ecosystem. At present a lot of a cars value to a manufacturer is in the after sales service, and that is a major incentive for individuals to seek to operate brand dealerships.

You might have to see brands move to a direct sales model, with a small number of authorised dealerships, as service will me a much simpler affair.

Another aspect may also be forced obsolescence. You could argue we see it already in that cars start to have high maintenance bills as the miles clock up. The difference with the EV is that the clock can be set to run out, the day it leaves the factory. Cars can be designed with degrading battery chemistry, so that as they age, the less useful they become. This has happened before - the incandescent lightbulb was much longer lived in the early days until the industry decided that 10,000 hours was the reasonable lifespan to design for.

kceire wrote: »
    How will you get the petrol or diesel into the jerry can?
    I assume a power cut will come out of the blue, so the garages will be closed due to no power, and their pumps wont work without power...................

Maybe we should just revert back to the horse... oh, wait, how will the horse get fed, if there is a power cut, the tractor won't be able to get fuel, to plough the field, to grow the grass, to feed the horse....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭mischascha

peposhi wrote: »
    Nobody is saying EVs are the cleanest nor most environmentally friendly. But they are certainly cleaner than any ICE.

This is an excellent article that summarises what’s actually happening:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2015/06/how-tesla-will-change-your-life.html#

There’re three parts and it’s a great read...

If the whole world would use geothermal power plants like Iceland maybe so, but meanwhile Iceland population is 40k smaller then China for that instance, so we all get that dirty stuff from the ground digging like European mole for those swanky EV's owners...:>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As for noise pollution?

No exhaust means no bean can, boy racer exhaust noise.

Just to touch on the brake dust pollution. My previous cars' front wheels were always black with brake dust. My current EV doesn't blacken it's wheels with dust. The frequency of brake pad replacement is a fraction of the ICE car.

Most of the braking on an EV is taken care of by regenerative braking, recovering the kinetic energy with no heat, noise or dust... and little waste of energy.

It's not all about tail pipe emissions. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

so we all get that dirty staff from the ground digging like European mole for those swanky EV's owners...:>

As opposed to the petrol and diesel which floats gently to pumps on a breeze of sweetly perfumed air

Advertisement