Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to someone with Cystic Fibrosis

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I think with the more mixed population last 20 years the rate of Cf will decline? Correct?

I'd imagine so. I mean the more the gene pool expands then the fewer carriers we'll have and therefore there will be fewer people born with CF.

Does climate affect CF symptoms? As in, is the Irish climate worse than say, New York or California?

Well it can depend on the individual but generally climate does have an impact on CF. I find hot weather difficult to deal with, especially humid weather because I find it hard to breathe and I lose even more salt which can leave me fatigued, I take dioralyte and I add more salt to my food then. You can also get salt tablets. We must be the only people who are told to add salt to our food by the dieticians :D When my wife gives me a kiss after I've been out and about or on a hot day she just says ''you're so salty, you taste like a chip!''. If I rub my face when it's warm then salt actually comes off it, especially my eyebrows and nose :pac: Actually it was discovered that people with CF who were surfers in Australia were doing better than other people with CF and it was realised that it was the salt water, because we lose salt through our skin and our mucus dries out, salt water can help loosen the mucus in our lungs. So they came up with hypertonic saline, which is basically salty water that you inhale into your lungs via a nebuliser, you do this before physio so it makes the mucus easier to cough up. My lungs are too reactive to use this (I explain below) so I don't use it as my airways close up and I can't do physio, I use an alternative drug though that I can tolerate :)

I have quite an asthmatic component to my CF but not everyone with CF does, which means my airways get irritated and tighten up easily, like I use roll on deodorant and I don't often put on perfume, I use non bleach sprays when I clean the house. Some of the nebulised medications I've tried I haven't been able to use because they cause my airways to tighten up, they overreact to everything :P Any sort of aerosol or spray can set me off. The other thing that can set my asthma off is very cold air, especially going from being inside to outside, it's the sudden change in temperature that sets my asthma off. So I can find very cold air a bit difficult to tolerate at times.

The Irish climate isn't great because it's temperate which allows bacteria to thrive, its rarely cold enough to kill off bacteria in winter so they still thrive. Like Cork is very marshy and boggy so it's like a breeding ground for bacteria.

TL:DR I think Spring and Autumn are the best times of year for CF :pac:

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Slightly off topic, but another poster brought up fundraising. I do a bit for things like Cancer association. I’ve actually done a bit for CF. Just pick the area you would like funding to go to and hold a table quiz. There’s always one pub in the area that specializes in quizzes. Approach them, advertise locally, publicize through Facebook etc and enjoy the night. A raffle is always a good money raiser. Either get a local business or employer to provide a hamper, throw in a box of chocolates and biscuits and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Hello Succubus,
    It's an educational read.... Never knew much about CF and it's incredible what ye have to deal with.... Fair fecks to ya and other CF folk.

Thanks for taking the time to do the AMA and for the honesty.

Take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Thank you so much for this informative and interesting thread . Its interesting for nurses too who deal with the medical issues all the time but not always aware of the daily struggles on the outside . Best wishes Succubus and I hope 2019 is a good year for you .

And an interesting point for you maybe ! When I was a young nurse before sweat tests were used as often if we suspected a baby had CF we would kiss the babies forehead and feel the salt on our lips and it would lead the team to do more tests .!

Slightly off topic, but another poster brought up fundraising. I do a bit for things like Cancer association. I’ve actually done a bit for CF. Just pick the area you would like funding to go to and hold a table quiz. There’s always one pub in the area that specializes in quizzes. Approach them, advertise locally, publicize through Facebook etc and enjoy the night. A raffle is always a good money raiser. Either get a local business or employer to provide a hamper, throw in a box of chocolates and biscuits and away you go.

It's great that you're involved in fundraising, it's a lovely thing to do. I'm going to see if I can get a box of trolley tokens from the CF association and my mom will bring them into work and I'm going to see if our local pub would be interested in a doing a pub quiz for CF. Thank you for the ideas :)
    islanderre wrote: »
    Hello Succubus,
    It's an educational read.... Never knew much about CF and it's incredible what ye have to deal with.... Fair fecks to ya and other CF folk. Thanks for taking the time to do the AMA and for the honesty. Take care

Thank you very much Islanderre, I know I rambled too much but I'm glad it was an interesting read for you and I think it always helps to raise awareness of CF because I often meet people who don't know what it is or have a very vague idea. To be fair I didn't know much about it myself until I was diagnosed! :)
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this informative and interesting thread . Its interesting for nurses too who deal with the medical issues all the time but not always aware of the daily struggles on the outside . Best wishes Succubus and I hope 2019 is a good year for you .And an interesting point for you maybe ! When I was a young nurse before sweat tests were used as often if we suspected a baby had CF we would kiss the babies forehead and feel the salt on our lips and it would lead the team to do more tests .!

I really appreciate your dedication to CF and looking after all of those little CF babies over the years :) I find medical staff sometimes only focus on the medical side and tend to forget that we aren't robots or machines who can be programmed to do things, we're human and we struggle like everyone else. It really depends on the person though, I mean one of my CF nurses in CUH is absolutely wonderful, she's so empathetic and she's been there for me through the physical and mental problems too. She got me into hospital right away when I was in a bad place and she got me on IV antibiotics and arranged to have me see a psychiatrist within a day, she really couldn't have done any more for me. Some people really go above and beyond.

I didn't know that, about nurses kissing the babies to see if they were salty before the sweat test was used. A very good way to see if there was a possibility of CF. So you know how salty we are then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Very informative thread, thanks for doing it, lots I did not know about CF. Hope you keep in good health.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm going to close this one up now and say a very big THANK YOU to Succubus_ for taking the time to answer everyone's questions - and answering them so thoroughly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement