Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm New Breakfast Show

Options
  • 05-03-2007 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

is it just me or are Colm and Jim Jam! Rubbish and annoying and almost worse than Marty...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Nah, it's just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I listen to them this morning and if anything they are better than they were on FM104, they also had a lot of new stuff.

Its good to see them back, FM104 has gone down hill rapidly since they left.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Are there any recordings/podcasts of it to be heard anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Boy Wonders

One thing I will say for these guys is that they work very hard, keeping the whole bebo/blog thing going.

This is from bebo....

"For legal reasons I had to shut down the old BEBO, you had left so many messages of support that my old employers didn't like it, and I was technically still under contract with them."

Personally I think the whole "old employers" thing is stupid. Jim Jim might not know this but fm104 is not very well known outside the Pale, (no offense, but it's a Dublin Station so why would someone in Donegal even think about it?)

I find it alienating myself, I tuned in this morning and they were going on as though we should already know who they are and how great it was they were there etc. I know they have listeners in Dublin but so what. It's like some kind of clique.

The guy does give himself a big head on his picture though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

MemEmee wrote:
    is it just me or are Colm and Jim Jam! Rubbish and annoying and almost worse than Marty...

Give them a chance - I did feel there was a bit of first day nerves and mistakes. Once they settle in it'll be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

MemEmee wrote:
    and almost worse than Marty...

Please, only Larry Gogan is worse than Marty Wheelan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Foolitz

This morning was one of the best first shows I've ever heard. Playing Black Betty at 8am was inspired. Love the new song about being locked as well. I've said it before, but Colm & Jim Jim are two of the best in the business at what they do. They have left a gaping wound in fm104 and their new show sounds ever cooler than the old one. Well done boys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,722 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thought it went pretty well myself.

You could tell when they were automatically gonna give out the FM104 text number, or say "The Strawberry Alarm Clock", then caught themselves in time :D (they did slip up on Mad Dad - er..Jim Jim's Dad tho! :p)

It doesn't like Gavin or Paugie survived the moved though as they sidestepped the txt asking about them very quickly.

All in all I thought it was a good first day.. but then I've listened to them for years. The new jingles will take some getting used to though, but I'm not sure how well they'll do outside the capital.

Are the listenership figures released monthly?

EDIT: No I didn't stick around for Gerry Ryan, or tune in since. Anyone else who followed the show over stick with 2FM today?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Dyflin wrote:
    Please, only Larry Gogan is worse than Marty Wheelan!
    :eek: Larry Gogan is a god compared to most of the rest of RTE's radio presenters, including G Ryan and Whelan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colin172

byte wrote:
    :eek: Larry Gogan is a god compared to most of the rest of RTE's radio presenters, including G Ryan and Whelan!

I agree. I will miss Larry Gogan from my weekday listening. I loved the just a minute quiz..:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

They're starting to settle in today. Jim Jim has a new bebo up and running. Already nearly 2000 hits since Monday. Its a breath of freash air for 2fm. Still think the playlist in general needs a little bit more work throughout the day or maybe they're weening of the oap's from 2fm. But they have hit the ground running as expected. Well done lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They are hilarious such a refreshing change from Marty.
    Loved the prank call today and Martin 'Luther' King the weather man yesterday.
    Well done to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Fair f*cks to the pair of them, I always said they were the only ones worth listening to of a morning on the whole of the Irish airwaves.
    Not managed to catch a whole show yet, but the bits and pieces I've heard were what I'd have expected...I really think 2FM are on to a winner here and that the alarm clock will go from strength to strength.

semi related: just happening to be listening to Rick O Shea as I type and he just followed the Klaxons with the Stone Roses...did someone spike the canteen coffee with acid this morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I tolerated it for about 6 minutes this morning. Its not the kind of thing I want to listen to 5 mins out of bed. Whats the dealie with the stupid "trendy" background music they play through the news and AA roadwatch? Its so distracting, and sounds as if they are trying to make the news appear "cool".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

They're certainly a lot better than Marty (Although they seem to have retained some of his stuff like the kids calling in thing) And miles better than the abysmal Rick and Ruth.

I still feel The Full Irish was the best breakfast show on any station for a long time. It was light-hearted and Tubridy, Shane O'Donoghue and the newsreaders/aa roadwatch people all had a great chemistry on the show. Even though he was a tad condesending at times, that show was a class act.

In fairness, the kids calling in thing is kind of their thing, not Whelan's...as for Tubridy? No-one ever had me reaching for the tuning dial faster....and that's including Marty Whelan and Ruth Scott; smug bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Personally I think the whole "old employers" thing is stupid. Jim Jim might not know this but fm104 is not very well known outside the Pale, (no offense, but it's a Dublin Station so why would someone in Donegal even think about it?)

I find it alienating myself, I tuned in this morning and they were going on as though we should already know who they are and how great it was they were there etc. I know they have listeners in Dublin but so what. It's like some kind of clique.

The guy does give himself a big head on his picture though:)

I think you have to cut them a bit of a break on that Boy Wonders. They worked for FM104 for a long time and built up a very loyal and very large following. They were supposed to work two weeks notice in FM104 and had planned a kind of goodbye show on the last day, but at the end of the first week FM104 came to them and told them they didn't want them to do the second week and not to come back. It does seem kind of petty to do that to them. Also 104 kept the exact same format that Colm and Jim created, same segments in the same order and everything, and from what I understand told the people that took over from them not to mention them at all, you can't blame them for explaining to usual Strawberry Alarm Clock listeners why they were on 2FM and thanking them for their support.

cson wrote:
    They're certainly a lot better than Marty (Although they seem to have retained some of his stuff like the kids calling in thing) And miles better than the abysmal Rick and Ruth.

They were doing that bit where they ring the kids up in the morning on FM104 for a good few years before they moved to 2FM. I'm not sure how long Marty has been doing it for, but it's not like they are just continuing a segment he did.

Personally I like them, you can do with a good laugh sometimes in the mornings, but I've yet to hear the show on 2FM, I've been working nights, but I always thought they were the best thing on FM104, it was the only 3 or 4 hours I could bear to listen to the station.

P.S I am in no way affiliated with 2FM or with the Colm and Jim Jim show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Listining to the colm and jim jim show is a great way to cheer you up for the day. I reckon it should be on the telly at the same time, it would be good for rte. I wonder if matt molloy will be on this friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

MemEmee wrote:

It's not just you. The show is peurile and aimed at the LCD. Always was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

cymro wrote:
    Listining to the colm and jim jim show is a great way to cheer you up for the day. I reckon it should be on the telly at the same time, it would be good for rte. I wonder if matt molloy will be on this friday.

*Qualifier to the above. If you are 12.

• Advertisement

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

It's almost as bad as Ray Foley ripping off Chris Moyles on Today FM

Chris moyles on today fm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

MemEmee wrote:
    I listened the first mornign cos I've heard so much about this wonderful Strawberry Alarm clock whatever.. I wasn't impressed and shall be sticking with the toll trolls or breakfast express :)

eamon234 wrote:
    It's almost as bad as Ray Foley ripping off Chris Moyles on Today FM

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. That b/g music has been Moyles' trademark tune since he took over breakfast...I only ever listen to Foley by being sbjected to it from someone else's radio, which thankfully is not very often but he's definitely "borrowed" some stuff, perhaps safe in the knowledge that 90% of his listeners wouldn't know who Moyles was if he bit them in the arse...

petals wrote:
    I listened the first mornign cos I've heard so much about this wonderful Strawberry Alarm clock whatever.. I wasn't impressed and shall be sticking with the toll trolls or breakfast express :)
    To each their own I suppose..

I personally can't stand the "Toll Trolls", and as for Breakfast Express.. those two can't do comedy (or accents!) to save their lives.

IMO of course... Colm and Jim Jim are the only show worth listening to (loved the caller this morning congratulating them on the "new" ideas they've brought in like Mad Dad..er, Jim Jim's Dad, and Kids In The Car.. er, Kids go Crazy - The two lads had a laugh about it too :D)

Looks like Gavin (or "Dougie Highlife" as he's now known) survived the move after all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Thank God! I nearly jumped up and down when I heard "Dougie Hi-life" this morning.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I wonder why "Gavin" couldn't keep his name ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

KTRIC wrote:
    I wonder why "Gavin" couldn't keep his name ??
    Either because Gavin, as a character, is the intellectual property of FM104 or because Colm and Jim didn't want anything to be exactly the same as in the old show.

Advertisement