Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has a movie ever made you cry ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The impossible loneliness of this story made me cry! :pac:

yeah i was determined to keep the session going as long as I could, I had cans of castlemaine XXXX to get through!

I was even wearing headphones cause i didn't want to wake the housemate so i was about 3 foot from the screen and really into the movies and kept telling myself it'll get happier and the next movie will be more upbeat (had never seen any of them before)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

danniemcq wrote: »
    ah just remembered the night of my 22nd birthday.

Had been celecrating all weekend with the mates and come monday everyone else has work but i don't so think movie marathon with the leftover cans.

The United States Of Leland
    Rain Man
    Good Will Hunting

I was in bits come 6 in the morning going to bed.
    yeah i was determined to keep the session going as long as I could, I had cans of castlemaine XXXX to get through!

I was even wearing headphones cause i didn't want to wake the housemate so i was about 3 foot from the screen and really into the movies and kept telling myself it'll get happier and the next movie will be more upbeat (had never seen any of them before)

I just want to give you such a big hug after reading those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The Elephant Man.

'I'm not an animal, I'm a human being!'

And it was based on a true story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Gannicus wrote: »
    I just want to give you such a big hug after reading those.

Hah! How soon can you be in Donegal!?

Hah! How soon can you be in Donegal!?

Be there by 5pm ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The Cove.

The only thing that's made me cry as an adult - not saying that out of bravado, just a statement of fact. I think everyone (animal lover or not) should be made to watch The Cove.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313104/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Alfred crying in Batman.. I didn't cry though, there was just lots of onions in that cinema.

1367784401_alfredcries.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Ink. Both times I watched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hachi came close. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

My Girl - when Macaulay Culkin's character dies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Haven't cried in months as am saving them all for going to see The Fault in our Stars next weekend when my sister gets home from Scotland.

The Champ, ET and bambi are my first memories of movies making me cry. Cried in too many since to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Witchie wrote: »
    Haven't cried in months as am saving them all for going to see The Fault in our Stars next weekend when my sister gets home from Scotland.

This movie- cried the whole way through!
    Hadn't read the book so was all new to me, It was a fan screening so everyone but me knew what was gonna happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pixar are the masters. If you can watch that Up scene without getting a lump in your throat, you're not human.
    Same goes for these 2 scenes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

The end of the original "Lassie Come Home". Although I watched it recently and it did nothing to me. When did I become so hard?
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

the end of the Killing Fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Terminator.

Who among us did not shed a tear when his little red eye went out in the end, and he didn't get to kill all those people?

I'm sorry. I just get so emotional. They didn't even try to help him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I never cried watching a movie because I'm a MACHO MAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Pretty much most of the weepies listed. Earliest memories were Bambi and The Champ.

But, if anyone can watch Grave of the Fireflies without crying, they're made of strong stuff. It is heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The Peanut wrote: »
    Pretty much most of the weepies listed. Earliest memories were Bambi and The Champ.

But, if anyone can watch Grave of the Fireflies without crying, they're made of strong stuff. It is heartbreaking.

I just read the wiki plot summary again and started leaking tears remembering the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Heartbreaking, every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Borat made me cry with laughter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Cinema Paradiso.....................every goddamn time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

THE IMPOSSIBLE...

There were warning signs in the cinema saying it can be very disturbing.. I was like ye right..
    Well sobbed throughout the entire thing.. so did half the cinema!!! If you don't cry at that film, imho you have some serious sociopath tendencies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Corkgirl210

12 slaves
    schindlers list
    my sisters keeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Marley & Me every time. I have to hug my labrador after it

Not exactly a movie but this makes me ball everytime too

First time I watched this video I actually cried. Even the WWE nay-sayers will feel something by the end of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When I was little, I had tonsilitis and was watching ET at the end, I wanted to cry so much but just didnt have the energy, I just wanted to scream, my parents thought it was hilarious, obvious heartbreak on my face but nothing to go with.

Never come close but recent tearjerkers include, Field Of Dreams, when he finally gets the courage to ask the question. Saw the time travelling one with Domhnall Gleeson recently, About Time is it? Bill Nighy's speech at the wedding and his all round performance in that is brilliant.

Actually I lie, the last time I blubbed was the intro episodes to Band of Brothers, when the veterans teared up I was done for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I bawled two nights ago at the Butler (with Oprah and Forest Whittaker,Robin Williams etc) but it sure helps when you have a bottle of wine in you!

brilliant brilliant film. i was close by onions tho

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

razorblunt wrote: »
    Actually I lie, the last time I blubbed was the intro episodes to Band of Brothers, when the veterans teared up I was done for!

Same! I was a blubbering mess watching most of the episodes. Tried my best to hide it but just couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Same! I was a blubbering mess watching most of the episodes. Tried my best to hide it but just couldn't.

Very last quote:
    "I cherish the memory of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said: 'Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?' Grandpa said, "No. But I served in a company of heroes."

I'm an incomprehensible blubbering mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Arnie going into the molten metal in Terminator 2, and giving the little thumbs up. Cried when I first saw it as a kid, cried last month at 26 years of age watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

When Shrek and Princess Fiona embrace at the end of Shrek 1 I can't help but shed a tear.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Senna.
    Heart breaking stuff altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Watership Down :(
    Scarred me emotionally for life. Just after I finished watching it and I went out to the back garden in my grannies house my uncle arrived home from hunting with some dead rabbits and started cleaning his shotgun. I don't think I knew what hate was until that moment:(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mopey

terminator 2, im not even trolling very sad film, first one to make me cry.

honorable mention grave of the fireflies, i balled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Memphis Belle when they touched down,more a release of tension than a tear though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Simon Birch was one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen. Great flick but the end is ridiculously moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Death of a Superhero. Not only did that movie make me cry, but I felt dead inside for weeks afterwards.
    Absolutely phenomenal movie and not half as well known as it should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Homeward Bound when Shadow looks like he won't be able make it out of the hole at the train track and not able get out :(:(

The documentary "Mugabe and the White African" got me teary eyed

But out of everything this BBC Hidden Panorama got me absolutely SOBBING - about abuse in a disability service..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Somethin wrong with ya if this doesnt raise a sniffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Shawshank redemption when they let the old fella out. Gets me every time. Actually I start blubbing when he is leaving the prison knowing what is to come.

And Up. Could only watch it once - was traumatised.

Animal farm when I was a kid, the horse ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

E.T. found in the forest scene.

E.T. dies in the hospital scene.

E.T. goes home scene.

I was going to include YouTube links, but I can't even watch them myself, or I'll get that itchy nose feeling before I choke up... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

The notebook and toy story and the lion king!
    The notebook was the worst mess at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

The Notebook. Oh my god. James Garner has always looked just like my dad. As a child dad as he went to work told myself and my sister that he was going to film another Rockford Files. Dad died 9 years ago. In the Notebook James Garner looked just like my dad as he was not long before he died. My parents were great friends,very much all about each other so this movie just broke my heart. I have never cried so much at a film. I don't think I could ever sit through it again though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Man Getting Hit in Groin by Football. I'm tearing up now just thinking of it.

It works on so many levels!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The Royle family Christmas special when Nana dies and Jim breaks down. Feckin gets me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Heartbreaking, every time.

This was one of the most genuninely moving sad things I've ever seen.
    I couldn't believe a movie could have me in floods for a solid 20 minutes, it kept building like waves cresting on each other.

Honestly a work of simple genius.

This though was the most unexpected, it suddenly hits like you like it does him, when its quiet and indifferent. It's like a violent and sudden decompression, and the medic is there to just be there
    I saw this in London, and it was the middle of the day (and I remember choking back and putting my palm over the face, even though we were sitting in the dark) and then gradually you could openly hear quiet sniffles of 30 people during it and on the way out.

Turned the movie from a movie from a B to an A++. Made it. I've never felt something so real in a movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Karmella wrote: »
    And Up. Could only watch it once - was traumatised.

http://on.today.com/1kVLksE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

About Time (2013)

Fella and his father can time travel ,then his father dies. But he keeps visited his dead father back in time so its ok. Then on day he has to travel back in time to save his child which means hell no longer be able to time travel back beyond the point his child was born. His father died before his child was born so he knows by making this choice he's effectively going to never see his father again. He travels back in time to be with his father one more time and say goodbye forever this time.

Thinking about again is even a tear jerker. When the movie was playing I had to actually get up and walk out of the room before my missus saw my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Nope, I ain't got no feels.

Closest I ever came was probably Marley & Me.

Was just gonna say the same.
    Also, when your man breaks down after shooting the kid in "In Bruges". That was a close shave too:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement