Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

leggo wrote: »
    I think Omega is taking the belt eventually. Their story is still far from finished, don’t think for a second it ended with them establishing Omega could now beat him and then dropping it altogether. It just would’ve been a carbon copy of the year before had Kenny won G1 again to challenge, plus Naito’s claim was more pressing so they went with that first.

I like Okada’s dominating reign. It’s how things often play out when there’s a transcendent talent in a sport and makes their eventually dethroning all the more sweeter. And, as stated, he’s able to pull it off with constant great matches. I’m actually dying for him vs Tanahashi again, whenever they do it, to either tie or break the record (it should be to break it).

A peak Tanahashi v Okada series would be amazing now. Hopefully Tana can get over his injuries and get back to the level he was at. If he doesn't get over those injuries then those matches would just be a "what if?".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I love their series already, WK10 and the last block day of the G1 where they drew were sensational. They’ve just got a magical chemistry. I think even now, with Tana banged up, they could pull a classic out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Watched this yesterday as it was the 15th anniversary of the match

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/970638313978847233

jericho says hes done with new japan i dont believe him

Really enjoyed the 46th anniversary show. I never thought I'd warm to Taichi so much but it happened.
    Miles being on the New Japan Cup now tho & know the results which sucks.

didn't realise that the long beach show was this week.

seems to be very little build or buzz around it not sure if its due to mania and all thats happening on mania week in general overshadowing it ot that no matches have beeen announced except liger and rey but havent heard if thats still on due to reys bicep injury.

very strange compared to last year were there was lots of buzz around

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Zack Sabre Jr
    won the 2018 New Japan Cup.

Lithium93_ wrote:
    won the 2018 New Japan Cup.

Submission wins over Naito, Ibushi, Sanada & Tanahashi. Pity he's just going to put over Okada soon enough at Sakura Genesis. As that is an impressive streak of good matches.

• Advertisement

NJPW Strong Style: Evolved card:

Rey Mysterio has been pulled from the show due to injury and his original opponent, Jushin Liger, will now face Will Ospreay instead.

– Roppongi 3k & Rocky Romero vs. SoCal Uncensored (Kazarian, Christopher Daniels & Scorpio Sky)

– David Finlay & Juice Robinson vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

– CHAOS (Toru Yano & Chuckie T) vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.)

– Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs. Bullet Club (Marty Scurll & Cody)

– Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Dragon Lee & KUSHIDA) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI, SANADA & Hiromu Takahashi)

– Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Will Ospreay.

– CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.)

– IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Match: Champion “Switchblade” Jay White vs. Hangman Page

– The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)

ERG89 wrote: »
    NJPW Strong Style: Evolved card:

Rey Mysterio has been pulled from the show due to injury and his original opponent, Jushin Liger, will now face Will Ospreay instead.

– Roppongi 3k & Rocky Romero vs. SoCal Uncensored (Kazarian, Christopher Daniels & Scorpio Sky)

– David Finlay & Juice Robinson vs. CHAOS (Hirooki Goto & YOSHI-HASHI)

– CHAOS (Toru Yano & Chuckie T) vs. Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.)

– Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) vs. Bullet Club (Marty Scurll & Cody)

– Taguchi Japan (Ryusuke Taguchi, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Dragon Lee & KUSHIDA) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI, SANADA & Hiromu Takahashi)

– Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Will Ospreay.

– CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Zack Sabre Jr.)

– IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship Match: Champion “Switchblade” Jay White vs. Hangman Page

– The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson)

apart from the main event which will be unbelievable and liger/will im not feeling that car too much.

sky88 wrote: »
    apart from the main event which will be unbelievable and liger/will im not feeling that car too much.

Suzuki & Sabre Jr vs Okada & Ishii & the 8 man with LIJ vs Taguchi Japan can both be great. It very much a card that says we have a PPV in a week; hence the multiman matches/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Strong card! Are Scorpio Sky and Hangman Page any good?

ERG89 wrote: »
    Suzuki & Sabre Jr vs Okada & Ishii & the 8 man with LIJ vs Taguchi Japan can both be great. It very much a card that says we have a PPV in a week; hence the multiman matches/

mainly yea just too many tag and multi man matches but nj do that a lot on there smaller shows.

just think if you trying to break america should have your champion in a singles match to showcase him

sky88 wrote:
    just think if you trying to break america should have your champion in a singles match to showcase him

He has a big title match in a week so it doesn't make sense for him to defend the title before then. I can see them doing a title match later in the year as I can see New Japan doing another card later in the year at a bigger arena as the mistake they made was going back to an arena they easily sold out in 20 minutes.

What time does the show start at tonight?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

What time does the show start at tonight?

Thanks

1am

Assuming we get a jericho apperence tonight since i dont believe hes done with new japan to set up him and naito at some part

Fun show but very house showy so far hope the next few picks it up well the main most def will

Also jr is not great tonight

• Advertisement

Why was the JR/Barnett commentary on NJPW world? Thought they only did it for that TV station in the States.

Felt like listening to someone watching NJ for the first time. They didn't know a lot of the names of moves and were getting wrestlers mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Why was the JR/Barnett commentary on NJPW world? Thought they only did it for that TV station in the States.

Felt like listening to someone watching NJ for the first time. They didn't know a lot of the names of moves and were getting wrestlers mixed up.

The show aired live on AXS TV so that was the feed they were using on NJPW World. It was the same for the G1 Special last summer, might explain why the production was so bad as well.

I really enjoyed the show. Great energy from the wrestlers and the crowd. It was great to hear such a big pop for Yano, and Chuckie T had a couple of really good near falls. The Suzuki & Ishii interactions were awesome, Ishii is so damn great. Crowd was very quiet for the majority of Hangman Page & Jay White, but they worked very hard and seemed to have the crowd on side by the end of the match. The main event was incredible, tremendous work by all four. Really looking forward to Sabre & Okada on Sunday.

I think it's time JR called it a day, he to me just doesn't seem to have the passion for it.

Lithium93_ wrote:
    I think it's time JR called it a day, he to me just doesn't seem to have the passion for it.

I know he lost his wife & tried to work his way through the grief but he hasn't had the passion for wrestling for some time. I remember him calling wrestle kingdom years ago with Matt Striker & JR acted like he was announcing u12's GAA in a regional radio station he was so bored

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Golden Lovers v The Young Bucks is the best tag match I've watched in years. Anyone who says the Bucks can't tell a story in the ring is full of ****.

Nick Jackson is one hell of a talent. More than held his own in a ring containing two if the world's best singles wrestlers in Kenny and Ibushi. He's obviously more than happy to tag with his brother as they're mega over and making good money. But I'd love to see what he could do with an extended singles run.

So Eevee from Pokemon has signed with NJPW.
    http://sp.njpw.jp/140930
    - EVIL was frightened by Eevee's cuteness and took the fighting outside of the ring. EVIL grabbed a chair, but Eevee escaped back into the ring. The ref, Red Shoes Unno, took it away when EVIL tried to bring the chair in.
    - Eevee managed to hit its finishing sequence, including its finisher, Z-Move Nine Evo Boost.
    - However, Eevee accidentally took out Red Shoes in the process, causing the match to end in a 30-minute time limit draw.
    (summary taken from resetera.com)

Sakura Genesis sounded like a very good show. Hopefully

Tanahashi has issued a challenge to Kazuchika Okada

Don't know how Ospreay managed to finish the match against Scurll, never mind going for as long as it did after that move on the apron

• Advertisement

Possible spoiler for this coming week

Chris Jericho has stated publicly that he was done working for New Japan Pro Wrestling, but it appears that was just the latest in a long line of sleight of hand maneuvers where the former WWE champion says one thing publicly to lead the audience one way in order to maximize the surprise effect if/when he has his next major angle or return.

PWInsider.com has confirmed that Jericho is expected to appear at this week's Wrestling Dontaku event in Fukuoka, Japan to shoot an angle leading to his return to the ring at the company's Dominion event in Osaka next month.

The smart money is on Jericho continuing his feud against new IWGP Intercontinental champion Tetsuya Naito, who Jericho attacked back in January at New Year's Dash, his last appearance for New Japan. Naito had led his stable, LIJ, to victory in a ten man tag team bout against the CHAOS stable. After that match, Jericho hit the ring as a surprise, attacking Naito from behind. That sparked a brawl between the two. Prior to that moment, the two had taken a number of shots at each other verbally.

Jericho claimed back in March that things had not worked out between he and New Japan and that he wouldn't be back working for the company. Obviously, that is not the case.

Advertisement