Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Businesses that accept cryptos as payment

• 05-10-2019 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

Do you know of any businesses here in ireland, either on-line or in the real-world that accept cryptos as payment? Let us know here. Give the:
    • Business Name and address or website URL
    • What kind of products or services do they have to offer?
    • Which cryptos do they accept

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I think this issue (finding vendors that accept crypto) is going to go away. These guys have created a browser extension plugin that runs on top of the amazon.com platform. Using Bitcoin (that originates via your Coinbase account or a lightning network wallet), you surf the amazon platform as normal, add to cart, check out and get directed to the payments page. At that point, the plugin converts your bitcoin into FIAT and you check out as normal.

They've enabled this for amazon.com. Last week, they added amazon.ca. Next up are amazon.co.uk and amazon.de . Covering amazon alone is a big deal. However, they are going to add all the major platforms over the next few months i.e. walmart, ebay, aliexpress, etc. Even more significantly, this doesn't have to be enabled on a site by site basis...they do this at payment processor level - so independent webshops won't need to be added one by one.

Within 12 months, a large proportion of ecomm options will be covered. The business strategy from these guys is to demonstrate a certain level of sales volume via crypto. Once they can do that, they can make a case to each respective online vendor / ecomm platform to accept crypto directly (which they will assist with).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I think this issue (finding vendors that accept crypto) is going to go away. These guys have created a browser extension plugin that runs on top of the amazon.com platform. Using Bitcoin (that originates via your Coinbase account or a lightning network wallet), you surf the amazon platform as normal, add to cart, check out and get directed to the payments page. At that point, the plugin converts your bitcoin into FIAT and you check out as normal.

They've enabled this for amazon.com. Last week, they added amazon.ca. Next up are amazon.co.uk and amazon.de . Covering amazon alone is a big deal. However, they are going to add all the major platforms over the next few months i.e. walmart, ebay, aliexpress, etc. Even more significantly, this doesn't have to be enabled on a site by site basis...they do this at payment processor level - so independent webshops won't need to be added one by one.

Within 12 months, a large proportion of ecomm options will be covered. The business strategy from these guys is to demonstrate a certain level of sales volume via crypto. Once they can do that, they can make a case to each respective online vendor / ecomm platform to accept crypto directly (which they will assist with).

I doubt this will be a mainstream thing. A lot of people got burned by crypto and the next big fall is usually just around the corner.

Cryptos time will come, but it's not now. After a massive depression or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I doubt this will be a mainstream thing. A lot of people got burned by crypto and the next big fall is usually just around the corner.

Cryptos time will come, but it's not now. After a massive depression or something.

I think you're talking in general terms, right? The OP was looking in terms at listing businesses that accept bitcoin payments. It's be a common enough pursuit in every jurisdiction since Bitcoin came into being. And for obvious reasons - it's difficult for Bitcoin holders to pay for everyday items using Bitcoin.

In the context of solving that specific problem, that browser plugin is a game changer. It provides a definite stepping stone to full ecommerce platform integration and in this interim period, it will mean that practically any product will be available to a bitcoin holder.

You're talking about price volatility - and that will be the last to settle. Store of value first, then medium of exchange and unit of account much much later. Added to that, the UX needs to improve considerably to have any chance at proper mainstream adoption.

Advertisement