Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio2/2FM first 24 hour broadcast

• 04-10-2019 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Having an argument/friendly discussion with my brother about when Radio2/2FM had their first through the night broadcast.
    I was a kid at the time and all I can remember is that we had no electricity and myself and my brother up in the middle of the night listening to the battery powered radio while there was a storm blowing.

Think that there might have been a train accident that night as well.

Anyone have an idea of the year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

1988...was up to 2.50 / 3am before that

It seems the most notable rail accident in 1988 was the Clapham Junction crash in London where 35 people were killed. If that's the date you're thinking of, the exact date is 12 December 1988.

I have a feeling the poster is referring to the Buttevant, Cork Rail Disaster on Aug. 1st 1980 afternoon, as Mark Cagney was on the air that night and he spoke about being on the air, in interviews since the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I have a feeling the poster is referring to the Buttevant, Cork Rail Disaster on Aug. 1st 1980 afternoon, as Mark Cagney was on the air that night and he spoke about being on the air, in interviews since the incident.

It's fairly vague but the memory is that it was during Winter, very dark outside (and inside because of power cut lol). But don't think it was August. And RTE Radio 2 were on during the night, which was a first.
    1988...was up to 2.50 / 3am before that
    It seems the most notable rail accident in 1988 was the Clapham Junction crash in London where 35 people were killed. If that's the date you're thinking of, the exact date is 12 December 1988.

Both "feel" like it was the right time of the year, being December.

Sadly, I can't find anywhere online, especially from RTE, that will give the correct date. RTEs pages are terrible.

Cheers anyway folks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MurraySparkle

Radio 2. / 2FM’s started 24/7 broadcasts, on a permanent basis, on May 31st 1987 with an overnight line up of Paul Scanlon, Gerry Wilson and Robbie Irwin.

In all likelihood they would have had occasional all nighters for specific events. Also G Ryan, Fanning and Cagney often did all nighters for NY Eve and stuff like that. But May 31st 1987 was the official start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Radio 2. / 2FM’s started 24/7 broadcasts, on a permanent basis, on May 31st 1987 with an overnight line up of Paul Scanlon, Gerry Wilson and Robbie Irwin.

In all likelihood they would have had occasional all nighters for specific events. Also G Ryan, Fanning and Cagney often did all nighters for NY Eve and stuff like that. But May 31st 1987 was the official start.

I did not realise that Robbie Irwin was presenting music-based programs on RTE at that stage. Yes, I know about his subsequent music-based programs on Millennum Radio and Century Radio!

I did not realise that Robbie Irwin was presenting music-based programs on RTE at that stage. Yes, I know about his subsequent music-based programs on Millennum Radio and Century Radio!

Robbie was the producer of most of Gerry Ryan's music programmes (Here comes the weekend, Rocksteady, Lights Out) on Radio 2 and others such as John Clarke's weekend show Saturday evenings around 1986.

At 47:30 John namechecks Robbie.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/gcamblin/rte-radio-2-john-clarke-july-1986/

Robbie was the producer of most of Gerry Ryan's music programmes (Here comes the weekend, Rocksteady, Lights Out) on Radio 2 and others such as John Clarke's weekend show Saturday evenings around 1986.

At 47:30 John namechecks Robbie.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/gcamblin/rte-radio-2-john-clarke-july-1986/

I knew he was a producer with 2FM but not a presenter.

I knew he was a producer with 2FM but not a presenter.

Just reminding users who may not be familiar what shows Robbie produced!

In latter years he presented Sports Bag on 2FM around 2004/5

Just reminding users who may not be familiar what shows Robbie produced!

In latter years he presented Sports Bag on 2FM around 2004/5

I forgot about Sportsbag which came much later. I will amend my previous statement!

I knew he was a producer with 2FM but not a presenter in 1987.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Pretty sure he was on Today FM for a couple of years too, I think he was one of the original presenters of the Saturday premier league coverage.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Pretty sure he was on Today FM for a couple of years too, I think he was one of the original presenters of the Saturday premier league coverage.

That's right. Robbie Irwin presented a weekend sports program on Radio Ireland / Today FM from March 1997 until about July 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

I agree it was Buttevant and I listened to much of it

Robbie's brother used to present a dance show on Century 100 FM

Robbie's son is Conor Irwin formerly Radio Nova and up to last year 98FM news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Robbie's brother used to present a dance show on Century 100 FM

Robbie's son is Conor Irwin formerly Radio Nova and up to last year 98FM news

Ray Summers was his brother; where is he these days?

Robbie was working on the Century news desk at the same time if my memory serves me well, which it rarely ever does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

FanadMan wrote: »
    Having an argument/friendly discussion with my brother about when Radio2/2FM had their first through the night broadcast.
    I was a kid at the time and all I can remember is that we had no electricity and myself and my brother up in the middle of the night listening to the battery powered radio while there was a storm blowing.

Think that there might have been a train accident that night as well.

Anyone have an idea of the year?

My recollection is different - I associate Radio 2FM going 24Hrs as the station relaunched as "2FM" in March 1989 which was not long after all the pirate radio stations closed down nationwide by 31/12/1988 - it was all about "The Key To The Sound of 2FM" and it ran tv advertisements on RTÉ television featuring the DART with music lyrics boasting that the station would never stop the night before = 24hrs. RTÉ Archives and Wikipedia details do not seem accurate to me at all.

Also, 2FM as a station used to close down nightly at 01:50am (It was not 02:50/3:00am) When the station went 24hrs and ran through the night, I think Night Train may have extended towards 3am and then Night Train/NT Extra at 03:00am for a period if I recall.

It was in fact Summer 1987 Radio 2 went 24 hour (I was sure it was 1988!!)

From RTE photo Archives:

RTÉ Radio broadcaster and DJ Paul Scanlon, in a shot taken for the RTÉ Guide in July 1987. Scanlon was presenting 'Night Train Extra' for RTÉ Radio 2 (now RTÉ 2fm) at the time this picture was taken.

The overnight service began in 1987. I have the RTE Guide from the time in my parents’ house and only came across that specific edition recently.

The Key promotion was in the first quarter of 1989 and was around a new schedule that saw Maxi move to breakfast (albeit very briefly) and Gareth O’Callaghan join for Drive time (from 4.30 each day). I am as certain as I can be about anything in life about this as I was given a tour of 2FM (and met Gerry Ryan, Gareth and others) at the time (hugely exciting for a 14 year old!)

The overnight service began in 1987. I have the RTE Guide from the time in my parents’ house and only came across that specific edition recently.

The Key promotion was in the first quarter of 1989 and was around a new schedule that saw Maxi move to breakfast (albeit very briefly) and Gareth O’Callaghan join for Drive time (from 4.30 each day). I am as certain as I can be about anything in life about this as I was given a tour of 2FM (and met Gerry Ryan, Gareth and others) at the time (hugely exciting for a 14 year old!)

I stand corrected it would seem - I used listen to 2FM and radio a lot more by day & night in those days. I wonder if Radio 2FM went 24hrs permanently back in 1987 or; was it "testing the water" during a unique event which would eventually lead to 24hrs broadcasting at a later stage? Just not sure why they would have been permitted to go 24hrs that far back as pirate stations were all on air and RTÉ Radio 1 used go off air much earlier in those days. Independent commercial radio did not really commence until Summer 1989 in my local area as far as I remember. In those days the Minister for Communications of the day had huge say in what hours of broadcasting RTÉ Radio & Television could do. In terms of indigenous broadcasting across the Republic of Ireland, RTÉ still enjoyed a complete monopoly in Radio & Television. It was not until around mid '90's that RTÉ Television went 24hrs I think.

Yes "The Key to the Sound of 2FM" promo campaign was March 1989 as I had one of the stickers. I seem to remember the big deal the tv advert made of 2FM's would now be available as it would no longer stop the night before. I would like to see the RTÉ Guide issue from 1987 outlining 2FM available 24hrs.

One of the few shows to survive 2FM big revamp was "The Gerry Ryan Show" which I think had only initially started 12 months beforehand in March 1988 as there was a gap in the morning slot when Jimmy Greeley headed over to Millennium 88FM to mark Dublin's 988-1988 centenary year. Prior to March 1988 Gerry did "Lights Out" Mon-Fri from 10pm-12midnight. As part of the then new 2FM schedule change in March'89 I think Ian Dempsey had moved from the Radio 2 Breakfast Show to Lunchtimes 12noon-2:00pm but only for a brief period. Larry Gogan did either 2:00-4:30pm or 2:00-5:00pm as the end time of his afternoon slot was not always same and Gareth O'Callaghan (hope he is managing to stay positive despite his serious condition) on Drivetime followed by 2FM Hotline from 7:00pm-8:00pm and Dave Fanning from 8:00-10pm.

Yeah 2FM was a big deal in those days and they were anxious to remain in top position with the launch of Century Radio due in September, 1989 which saw Marty Whelan defect from 2FM to Breakfast Show on Century until it's sudden demise in November 1991. I think Atlantic 252 (part owned by RTÉ) commenced broadcasting on LW 252kHZ around August 1991 from Trim, Co. Meath and this was aimed primarily at UK audiences.

Ray Summers was his brother; where is he these days?

Robbie was working on the Century news desk at the same time if my memory serves me well, which it rarely ever does :)

That was one great show in it's day - I completely forgot about Ray Summers! Robbie Irwin also a fine broadcaster - had total respect & authority - a class presenter.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected it would seem - I used listen to 2FM and radio a lot more by day & night in those days. I wonder if Radio 2FM went 24hrs permanently back in 1987 or; was it "testing the water" during a unique event which would eventually lead to 24hrs broadcasting at a later stage? Just not sure why they would have been permitted to go 24hrs that far back as pirate stations were all on air and RTÉ Radio 1 used go off air much earlier in those days. Independent commercial radio did not really commence until Summer 1989 in my local area as far as I remember. In those days the Minister for Communications of the day had huge say in what hours of broadcasting RTÉ Radio & Television could do. In terms of indigenous broadcasting across the Republic of Ireland, RTÉ still enjoyed a complete monopoly in Radio & Television. It was not until around mid '90's that RTÉ Television went 24hrs I think.

Yes "The Key to the Sound of 2FM" promo campaign was March 1989 as I had one of the stickers. I seem to remember the big deal the tv advert made of 2FM's would now be available as it would no longer stop the night before. I would like to see the RTÉ Guide issue from 1987 outlining 2FM available 24hrs.

One of the few shows to survive 2FM big revamp was "The Gerry Ryan Show" which I think had only initially started 12 months beforehand in March 1988 as there was a gap in the morning slot when Jimmy Greeley headed over to Millennium 88FM to mark Dublin's 988-1988 centenary year. Prior to March 1988 Gerry did "Lights Out" Mon-Fri from 10pm-12midnight. As part of the then new 2FM schedule change in March'89 I think Ian Dempsey had moved from the Radio 2 Breakfast Show to Lunchtimes 12noon-2:00pm but only for a brief period. Larry Gogan did either 2:00-4:30pm or 2:00-5:00pm as the end time of his afternoon slot was not always same and Gareth O'Callaghan (hope he is managing to stay positive despite his serious condition) on Drivetime followed by 2FM Hotline from 7:00pm-8:00pm and Dave Fanning from 8:00-10pm.

Yeah 2FM was a big deal in those days and they were anxious to remain in top position with the launch of Century Radio due in September, 1989 which saw Marty Whelan defect from 2FM to Breakfast Show on Century until it's sudden demise in November 1991. I think Atlantic 252 (part owned by RTÉ) commenced broadcasting on LW 252kHZ around August 1991 from Trim, Co. Meath and this was aimed primarily at UK audiences.

Atlantic 252 launched on Friday 1st September 1989 at 6am. The first official song they played was Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears, which was in the charts around that time. Century Radio launched on Monday 4th September 1989, just three days later!

I suppose many of us are at an age where memory starts to play tricks!

However, it was definitely launched on a permanent basis in 1987. I was just getting my holidays from 1st year in secondary school and I distinctly remember listening all night nearly every night for the first few weeks. Where I grew up we didn’t have 24/7 stations before that.

One night that Paul Scanlon was on air there were constant ads for a new Irish competitor to Smash Hits called ‘Fresh’ magazine. It was, I think, owned by Andy Ruane and that first edition, also on my parents attic, had a feature entitled ‘The station that never sleeps’ and that was 1987.

Also, a lot of the records that I bought in that time (and since) were bought as a result of hearing Michael Franks, Donald Fahey, China Crisis etc on the overnight service.

I suppose many of us are at an age where memory starts to play tricks!

However, it was definitely launched on a permanent basis in 1987. I was just getting my holidays from 1st year in secondary school and I distinctly remember listening all night nearly every night for the first few weeks. Where I grew up we didn’t have 24/7 stations before that.

One night that Paul Scanlon was on air there were constant ads for a new Irish competitor to Smash Hits called ‘Fresh’ magazine. It was, I think, owned by Andy Ruane and that first edition, also on my parents attic, had a feature entitled ‘The station that never sleeps’ and that was 1987.

Also, a lot of the records that I bought in that time (and since) were bought as a result of hearing Michael Franks, Donald Fahey, China Crisis etc on the overnight service.

Do you mean Donald Fagen? :) There had been interesting album tracks at nighttime on Radio 2 going back to the early '80s. It was great to hear the likes of the above and The Bible and David and David. Mark Cagney was one of the early pioneers of this discerning album-oriented music.

Paul Scanlon went to RTE Cork after 2FM for a few years up until closure 1999..then appeared on the initial Ocean FM schedule in Sligo and was there from 2004 until around 2014.

Do you mean Donald Fagen? :) There had been interesting album tracks at nighttime on Radio 2 going back to the early '80s. It was great to hear the likes of the above and The Bible and David and David. Mark Cagney was one of the early pioneers of this discerning album-oriented music.

Auto correct! Yup, Fagen and not Fahey.

Nice to see a mention for The Bible. I listened to BBC Radio 1 quite a lot at the time and they never played them whereas Ryan and Cagney played Mahalia and Graceland. Later, in early 88 and onwards Mike Moloney played ‘Red Hollywood’ and other stuff off the Eureka album quite a bit.

Also David & David’s album is another I bought having heard it on The Nighttrain

Clip of the night of the final Lights Out and Nighttrain shows here from Summer 1988. Features Phil Cawley too:

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/tag/mark-cagney/

Clip of the night of the final Lights Out and Nighttrain shows here from Summer 1988. Features Phil Cawley too:

https://fanningsessions.wordpress.com/tag/mark-cagney/

Proof at last of Phil Cawley's time with Radio 2 /2FM! Or Philip as he used to be called!

Phil Cawley and Ian Dempsey have another thing in common (apart from being long term with Today FM).......they both joined Radio 2 at just 19 years of age!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Yeah 2FM was a big deal in those days and they were anxious to remain in top position.[/quote]

2FM lagged behind all the super pirates until they closed at the end of '88.

It was only with the threat of legal independent radio dId they significantly up their game with a revamp - Jam Jingles,better programming and improved audio processing were all in the mix - all learned from the super pirates of the time.
    The move to 24hrs was delayed by unions iirc ??

• Advertisement

Paul Scanlon went to RTE Cork after 2FM for a few years up until closure 1999..then appeared on the initial Ocean FM schedule in Sligo and was there from 2004 until around 2014.

I believe RTÉ Radio Cork (also known as Cork 89FM and RTÉ Cork Local Radio) finally shut down on Sunday 30th January, 2000.

Sources:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-warned-not-to-dumb-down-over-ratings-war-26123233.html

https://theblackpoolsentinel.wordpress.com/category/cork-local-radio/

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2305/019.html

Advertisement