Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One man and his father

Options
  • 16-09-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭

Well, and his brother and sister too!

Basically, we've all decided to set a target of doing TriAthlone or an alternative Olympic distance triathlon next year, and I'm here to seek a bit of advice.

I've had a look through some of the stickied threads and the training threads, so apologies if I'm treading on toes or asking often asked questions, but yes - friendly advice on training programmes would be most welcome!

Our backgrounds first before we get into specifics:

Me, I used to race bicycles. Not at a very high level; A3 on the road, but was decent enough on the track. Gave up about 5 years ago after a broken arm and a disappointing national champs on the track in quick succession and the following year did my first marathon. Another broken bone, this time an ankle playing football 12 weeks before the main event meant I had to seriously reframe my expectations and managed to do the marathon in around 4hr 15mins, having really hoped for a sub 4hr event before the aul' bone went snap. I've since had a baby, and while I still do the odd half marathon, play football and do a few sportive's every year, I'm definitely developing a solid Dad bod. Have in the past done 3 or 4 sprint tri's and one olympic event.

My Dad; a casual cyclist who does a few sportive's every year. Fit, but not fast; it'd be rare for him to wimp out of any event though. Obviously more developed in years... I am thinking longer periodisation of adaptive work, especially on the running and swimming which he is not used to.

My brother is a multi marathon runner. Solid, steady runner; 3hr 45ish time. Only time he ever came out on a bike he crashed it twice (clipless falls both). Plays football at a decent enough level.

My sister's very fit, does a lot of gym work, but this'll be out of her comfort zone. Has a good few 10k runs done, which were no major concern for her.

So the advice we need can be summarised as follows:

Any advice on which event we should do? TriAthlone is the right time of year, but is it the best event?

Any advice on a good standard training programme? This should be a challenge to us all, but in particular if there's any advice that would be good for the more aged amongst us (sorry Dad), that'd be appreciated.

Any nuggets of advice we wouldn't think of you'd like to pass on?!

Thank you all in advance.

Advertisement