Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Lough Derg

Options
  • 31-08-2019 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Not long to go. Quest are usually brilliantly organised, so even though 1st time in Killaloe hope its a cracker.

So who is heading there? Doing the Sport distance, any local knowledge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Big Bad Wolf

Yep Im doing the Sport 57km route. Can't wait for it. Heading down on the Friday night, I was going to do a bit of wild camping on the shores of Lough Derg but got sorted with a bed near Nenagh.
    Training has been going ok. I need to get more hilly spins in on the bike now, but I know what to expect from previous Quest races. I think the 6km trail run at stage 7 after the kayak could be a bit of a drag for me.
    Looks like a great course though and I'd say there will be a brilliant atmosphere around Killaloe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Heading down ourselves on the Friday. Staying in Airbnb, after two listings on booking.com cancelled on us. So hopefully we won't be asking for loan of your tent haha.

I'll throw the tent in the boot just in case :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i grew up/ now live/do all my traiinig in killlaloe/ballina, can answer any questions if you have any

mossym wrote: »
    i grew up/ now live/do all my traiinig in killlaloe/ballina, can answer any questions if you have any

Where do you recommend for few scoops and decent steak after? haha

Most of our gang will be delighted to be watching the All Ireland replay.

• Advertisement

best steaks in town are in my kitchen but it's booked up that night

after that:
    best steaks goosers in town, or larkins out in garykennedy(it's a drive though)

best pub:
    Liam O'rians is popular with the blow ins (and some locals) :). will be very blue that day though
    flanagans where the race finished is great if the weather is nice. good for food too.
    washerwoman is good as well, great gin collection.

mossym wrote:
    best steaks in town are in my kitchen but it's booked up that night

mossym wrote:
    after that: best steaks goosers in town, or larkins out in garykennedy(it's a drive though)

mossym wrote:
    best pub: Liam O'rians is popular with the blow ins (and some locals) . will be very blue that day though flanagans where the race finished is great if the weather is nice. good for food too. washerwoman is good as well, great gin collection.

Lovely work Mossy, are you sure you're booked up? I'm great at the wash up. Looking forward to heading down. We're two couples "competing" against each other. So will be some craic, we'll shan't be challenging the good folk at the front at all.

Great new club in Dublin, called Dublin Mountain Running Club, enjoying running with them. So beats the footpaths etc. So that's the running sorted, hopefully no wind for the kayak. Though few row sessions to paddle the wife about....

Thinking of road bike with Gators, shame we can't use a tandem. That would be some craic.... Haha

That was a great day. Hills were a killer but we got over them. Nice cold beer now in the Lough Derg sunshine...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how did they manage to get that pontoon across the river so quickly?

*maybe they should get the contract for the new bridge

They need a new bridge. Traffic was horrendous.

• Advertisement

would like to say it was because of the 1500 extra people in the town (that was the reason Saturday) but it's like that on any nice day when half of limerick decides to come out and throw their litter around.

the new bridge has been planned, proposed, and even CPOs issued (my parents got one), but money keeps getting diverted elsewhere

Some great photos of the day up on the Quest facebook page. Got a few good shots for the scrapbook...

Advertisement