Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous movies you've never seen

• 28-03-2017 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭

When The Magnificent Seven came out late last year I went to see it with my dad. We have this tradition of going to watch movies in the cinema together. As we were making our way to the cinema he started talking about the original Magnificent Seven that starred Steve McQueen, Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, Eli Wallach, Robert Vaugn etc. Anyway I mentioned that I had never seen the original and he was very surprised to hear that. Movies like the Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape were timeless classics to my dad and he considers them a must see. He later recorded the original a few weeks later and I watched the original then.

Anyway it got me thinking about famous movies that are widely known yet some people might not have seen yet. So are there any movies that are very well remembered or famous, almost legendary even, that you've never seen before.

Pretty much a lot of the old time classics are lost on me. Citizen Kane, Casablanca, basically all those types of movies that were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood i've never seen.

I've also not seen The Wizard of Oz, not even when I was a kid. I know what the story is about, and the characters, but i've never watched the full length of the film.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Any of the Star Wars films, old or new.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Moved from AH to the Films forum. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Indiana Jones. . Harry Potter (saw 1st one). Star Wars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

osarusan wrote: »
    Any of the Star Wars films, old or new.

+1
    I also never watched Willie Wonka and the chocotate factory or Alice in wonderland to the end. Alice & co were weirdos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

E.T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Lawrence of Arabia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I was the same with The Magnificent Seven and watched the new one recently enough and enjoyed it but does anyone else find watching westerns makes you feel a bit thirsty? :)

I also need to watch Blade Runner at some stage.

I never got into the Harry Potter movies and just don't think I'd like them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Tim76

Ben-Hur, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird and Kevin & Perry Go Large.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

The Godfather movies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Any of the lord of the rings films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Gone With The Wind, The English Patient, Dirty Dancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Tim76 wrote: »
    Ben-Hur, Citizen Kane, To Kill a Mockingbird and Kevin & Perry Go Large.

Timeless classics,all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Still not seen Shaft, the original one with Richard Roundtree even though I have the soundtrack album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Using the IMDB Top 250 list as a reminder, probably the most famous movies I haven't seen include 12 Angry Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and The Green Mile.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I've never seen This is Spinal Tap. !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I have sonehow never managed to see It's A Wonderful Life despite its seven million showings on tv. I also don't really feel like I'm missing out on much.

Titanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Malice in Sunderland

Stars Whores

I've not seen these either, not that I'm avoiding them. Weird.
    Should I watch, I have no desire to/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I have sonehow never managed to see It's A Wonderful Life despite its seven million showings on tv. I also don't really feel like I'm missing out on much.

It's actually a great film, but not the reassuring, feel-good movie its title and reputation would have you believe. It's a very dark story about lost dreams and good people being crushed by ruthless bankers. It was very subversive for its time. The FBI considered it anti-capitalist propaganda.

glasso wrote: »
    Titanic

You should watch Tit A Nic
    It's a watch if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

ET.
    Forrest Gump.
    Any LOTR one. (I'd rather eat my spleen.)

Larry Patter .

Never seen one of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm not a film buff so I haven't seen 90% of films mentioned here.
    When Carrie Fisher died last year and people were all talk of her and her character Leia I was like 'huh'?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

No Star Wars
    No The Godfathers
    No Lord of the Rings
    Only 2 Harry Potters

:eek:

i dont think i have seen any rocky films

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

i dont think i have seen any rocky films

Also me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I've never seen Seven

No inkling to watch it either for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Any horror film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Too many to mentions, eg Titanic, all the Die Hards, Rocky's, Lethal Weapons, any of Richard Curtis' films (though I love Black Adder), all Tarentino films apart from Reservoir Dogs, Top Gun. The list is endless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Eeden wrote: »
    I've never seen This is Spinal Tap. !

This makes me sad.

I thought it was funny the first time I seen it. Watched it again after a few years of being in bands, and it's probably the most accurate music documentary ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

bnt wrote: »
    Using the IMDB Top 250 list as a reminder, probably the most famous movies I haven't seen include 12 Angry Men, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and The Green Mile.

You definitely haven't lived till you've seen "The Green Mile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

As mentioned a few times already, E.T. and also Blade Runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

2001: A Space Odyssey

Looking forward to the 2017 remake 2001: A Safe Space Odyssey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

The Big Lebowski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

valoren wrote: »
    The Big Lebowski

No excuse for this.

anyway, I've never seen the Dark Knight or any X Men movies. Away from the comicbook genre, I don't think I've seen Forrest Gump (hard to remember exactly because some of the scenes have entered popular culture to such an extent).

• Advertisement

Any Spiderman, batman , green lantern,X men , hulk etc films

Funding nemo , frozen, et , lion king ( not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Batman and Robin

I have never seen Pulp Fiction, I want to watch if over Easter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The sound of music

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

The notebook..... Supposedly a crime not to see if you're a woman but royally couldn't be bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Reservoir Dogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Blade Runner - I remember seeing bits of it when I was a kid and massive Star Wars fan, wondering why it was so dark and brooding and when the fun was going to begin. I might enjoy it more now!

The English Patient - heard it was a bit "slow" :)

12 Angry Men - I have started it on Netflix, and was really enjoying it. Must get back to finishing it.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I probably saw it as a kid but can't remember a thing about it.

While we're on about "famous" movies, I haven't seen things like all the Fast & Furious movies, or any Transformer movie after the first one. I know the post isn't about "best" movies, just "famous" movies. These, and others of their ilk, would be fairly famous I would've thought. Anyway, on with the list. And I'm leaving aside all the westerns, Chaplin films, and most other notable "golden age" movies.

It's a Wonderful Life - every Christmas I record it but never watch it

Psycho - not even the remake :)

Alien / Aliens - always freaked me out for some reason

Oldboy - I'd love to see it, I like those kinds of movies

Citizen Kane - started it, was probably not the right time to watch it (middle of the day on TV)

La La Land - no interest

Moonlight - little interest

Manchester By The Sea - read the synopsis, that'll do me

A Clockwork Orange - be interested in seeing this

Scarface - never all the way through

Up - and I've seen most of the big animated movies

Raging Bull - I really must watch this

A Beautiful Mind - I'm sure it's good, just not bothered

The Deer Hunter - I saw the final scene (the roulette scene) and that was enough to make me not want to watch it

No Country For Old Men / There Will Be Blood - for some reason I lump these two movies together. Haven't seen either for whatever reason

Rocky - yep, I've never seen Rocky. Or even Rocky VII - Adrian's Revenge :)

Gandhi - maybe I need to watch this high

9 1/2 Weeks - would've been too young for it first time around

Jaws - too young when it came out, probably should see it at least once

Nightmare On Elm Street - not a big horror fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Hopefully you watched Episodes IV - VI and not Episodes I - III.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I haven't seen 2001: a Space Odyssey, any of the LOTR films , Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, North by Northwest, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Lawrence of Arabia, The French Connection or any of The Matrix films.

Some of those, I'd like to remedy. I own many of them on DVD, but just haven't got round to watching yet. Others, I'd have no interest in (LOTR and Matrix films).

I also have a copy of Once Upon a Time in America, but can't seem to find the time to sit down and watch it even though I suspect I'd really enjoy it.

I haven't seen 2001: a Space Odyssey, any of the LOTR films , Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now, North by Northwest, Breakfast at Tiffanys, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Lawrence of Arabia, The French Connection or any of The Matrix films.

Some of those, I'd like to remedy. I own many of them on DVD, but just haven't got round to watching yet. Others, I'd have no interest in (LOTR and Matrix films).

I also have a copy of Once Upon a Time in America, but can't seem to find the time to sit down and watch it even though I suspect I'd really enjoy it.

The first Matrix is great. Worth a watch. LOTR is a big investment, the first one is probably the best one but I also remember really liking the 2nd.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a bit strange to watch now, some of it is quite dated (and racist!)

2001 is not your average scifi movie - it's a lot more cerebral. You might even watch it and thing "WTF was that?!" Worth a go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Still ain't see Forrest Gump or Big Lebowski...

Have no idea why either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Have never seen Casablanca, Gone With The Wind or the Wizard of Oz....all hailed as classics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,283 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I have never seen The Graduate.. So this thread prompted me to order the dvd online last week..

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

The matrix
    Austin Powers
    The Godfather

Eek!

• Advertisement
Advertisement