Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

UsBus wrote: »
    Cuddihy and Coleman at it again this morning..
    A woke stand off between the two ladyboys over whether Ireland were better than Wales.....Absolutely insufferable. I had only switched over to fill a break on another channel. Just what I needed while driving into work in the pissing rain on a Monday morning..
    Someone in Newstalk please read this and sack the both of them, liberals on outrage steroids....

I caught that as I was flicking between stations. it was even more farcical when you consider Cuddihy is a hurling fan and Coleman is into soccer and neither has a clue about rugby - as was obvious from their “arguments”. It was so ill-informed it would be akin to Joe Duffy tackling a subject like Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I caught that as I was flicking between stations. it was even more farcical when you consider Cuddihy is a hurling fan and Coleman is into soccer and neither has a clue about rugby - as was obvious from their “arguments”. It was so ill-informed it would be akin to Joe Duffy tackling a subject like Brexit.

Cuddihy thought Schmidt had won 2 Grand Slams and then Coleman corrected him to say he'd won 2 championships.

Joe's actually won 3 Six Nations titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

caught a bit of Alan Quinlan this morning talking about the rugby game. he mentioned that Ireland had 75% possession as opposed to 25%.

fantastic insight there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They were painful to listen to this morning. Oh Wales are better then Ireland, oh no they're not, oh yes they are, oh no they're not. That was about how insightful the argument was.

caught a bit of Alan Quinlan this morning talking about the rugby game. he mentioned that Ireland had 75% possession as opposed to 25%.

fantastic insight there.

I'm a little surprised he knew that if Ireland had 75% posession that there was 25% left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭plodder

As I've said before, I enjoy the program. I like the interaction between the two of them, and while I certainly don't always agree with them, I like it when at least one of them is putting the questions I like to hear asked. What I can't stomach though is the ad breaks. They are interminable and too frequent. I just switch over now when I hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Shane Colman is totally gutless when trying to challenge a guest. He had an anti smoking campaigner on this morning giving out about the main character in Dublin Murders (a brooding detective type) chain smoking his way through the episode.

Shane couldn't lay a glove on the chap even though think of the children was basically his only point. All he could do was read out a quote from the actor about artistic realism, twice, to give the opposing view. Even if not prepared a half decent interviewer should have been able to come up with several counters off the top of their head - the texters did pretty quickly anyway. Cuddihy isn't great but he would have handled that better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Fvkcing hell this new phone in portion on a NEWS show is shocking.

They are letting random people on to spout their own uninformed opinions as fact, its like shoving a fork in my ear hearing how awful this show has gotten.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Fvkcing hell this new phone in portion on a NEWS show is shocking.

They are letting random people on to spout their own uninformed opinions as fact, its like shoving a fork in my ear hearing how awful this show has gotten.

Seems to be working well on the Ciara Kelly Show.....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Didn't know how many rugby players are on the team this morning. Seriously if you don't know anything about rugby then shut up and don't talk about it. Painful. Seriously painful.

Also arguing with all the interviewees, thinking they are Jeremy Paxman and challenging them straight away about kids education, can they not interview anyone without being rude to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I listened to the breakfast show on Newstalk from the very start, when it was presented by David Mc Williams, and his 20/20 news. I enjoyed listening to him.

I nearly left the station when Nora Casey was presenting. Just couldn't stand her, but I stuck with it and she eventually moved on.

Also loved it when Dunphy and Yates presented the morning show. Hated when Williams presented and now I've given up the station altogether in the morning.

Nowadays I listen to LBC in the morning. (https://www.globalplayer.com/live/lbc/uk/) A choice between Nick Ferrari, a seasoned professional journalists or those two muppets, there's no contest. I occasionally switch to RTE to catch up on whats happening here.

Maybe when Brexit has eventually died down, there won't be as much interest for an Irish listener on LBC, but for the moment it's the difference between night and day, compared to Newstalk in the morning.

I also occasionally tune in to Pat Kenny later in the morning, but he has really strong competition with James O'Brien, another excellent presenter, on LBC.

Can't stand Ciara Kelly. Wish she'd go back to doctoring or just bugger off somewhere else. I don't care where she goes, just so long as I don't have to listen to her.

Moncrief can be ok in small doses, but he's up against Sheila Fogarty in the afternoon on LBC. Personally, I'd prefer to listen to her, unless it's about something which is only of interest to British people.

Then at 6.00pm, LBC has the Nigel Farrage show. I'd prefer to be stone deaf, or have nothing on at all rather than listen to that pratt. By by then Yates, Matt Cooper and Drivetime are on, so I have usually switched back to Irish stations by then.

Sounds like a Party Political Broadcast for LBC, but with the advent of listening to the radio on the internet, competition for listeners has really opened up.

I remember when all you had to listen to on the radio was RTE 1. There was no RTE 2, 98fm, Spin or anything else. If you wanted music, you could tune into pirate stations operating offshore in the North Sea, Radio Caroline, Luxembourg etc, but the reception was very poor, but I suppose, in hindsight, better than nothing.

As for the TV in the 1960's and early 70's, it comprised 4 stations for those close to the East Coast. RTE1, HTV and BBC1 and BBC2. Those further away, or not near the Border, they lived in single channel land.

RTE TV used to open up around 6.00pm with Charles Mitchell reading the news in his dinner suit, least I'm told he read it in his dinner suit. The station closed down daily at about 11.30 pm, with the national anthem, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krZEfzKAhD4) while BBC also closed down and showed programmes from the Open University and everything was in black & white

Ahh! The not so Good Old Days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus christ, they just attempted a debate on the "me too" movement and the only person they could get to speak against it is some absolute troll from spiked online, which is the US koch brothers british right wing propaganda outfit.

Im in disbelief they actually invited someone from spiked online on their air, the station has just lost its last shred of credibility it had in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Jesus christ, they just attempted a debate on the "me too" movement and the only person they could get to speak against it is some absolute troll from spiked online, which is the US koch brothers british right wing propaganda outfit.

Yeah but you're expecting the wrong thing if you are expecting reasoned and balanced coverage on Newstalk. I heard the story early this week about male solicitors rating their female counterparts, and they had that biddy from the Rape Crisis Centre on discussing it. Just ridiculous.

Newstalk "reporting" is more about setting their own narrative and pushing their own view of the world on the audience, than it is about giving you a fair representation of the truth.

Im in disbelief they actually invited someone from spiked online on their air
    Why?

I've heard Brendan O'Neill on Sky News a few times, mostly talking about Brexit, and nothing he ever said would make me want to click on spiked online. But, out of curiosity I did just there, and there's a piece about the "war over words" and what we are allowed to say and not say. Ironic really. I just think if we were more serious about free speech, and not objecting to other people hearing opinions we don't like, then the likes of Spiked online, would be just another opinion peddling website, rather than whatever it is now to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yeah but you're expecting the wrong thing if you are expecting reasoned and balanced coverage on Newstalk. I heard the story early this week about male solicitors rating their female counterparts, and they had that biddy from the Rape Crisis Centre on discussing it. Just ridiculous.

You mean a biddy who actually is a lawyer and might have some relevant knowledge? Who should they invite to discuss it, you or the brain-dead morons who are stupid enough to still do it? (I don't overly care about the what's app conversations but how can they be so dumb?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

plodder wrote: »
    Why?

I've heard Brendan O'Neill on Sky News a few times, mostly talking about Brexit, and nothing he ever said would make me want to click on spiked online. But, out of curiosity I did just there, and there's a piece about the "war over words" and what we are allowed to say and not say. Ironic really. I just think if we were more serious about free speech, and not objecting to other people hearing opinions we don't like, then the likes of Spiked online, would be just another opinion peddling website, rather than whatever it is now to some people.

Did you listen to the piece? It's all well and good to talk about free speech but free speech does not mean that every clown deserves a slot on the radio. (That's what vox pops are for.) This lady was not able to support her point with anything other than her opinion. Does free speech guarantee every kook a slot? Or should we set a bar that says you need some sort of facts or logic to support what you say.

Like you my only exposure to O'Neill was a few clips on the new. Nothing he said would have me say "there's a serious publication, get more of that on the radio"

BillyBird wrote: »
    Did you listen to the piece? It's all well and good to talk about free speech but free speech does not mean that every clown deserves a slot on the radio. (That's what vox pops are for.) This lady was not able to support her point with anything other than her opinion. Does free speech guarantee every kook a slot? Or should we set a bar that says you need some sort of facts or logic to support what you say.

Like you my only exposure to O'Neill was a few clips on the new. Nothing he said would have me say "there's a serious publication, get more of that on the radio"
    No, I didn't hear it, so can't comment on whether she made any sense or not. I was only commenting on the idea that someone from a publication like Spiked shouldn't be let on Newstalk.

Sly dig from Pat during the handover this morning on the new call in section of the breakfast show.

He said something along the lines of "I have Joe Duffy on the show today, huge coincidence considering you guys are now doing Liveline"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sly dig from Pat during the handover this morning on the new call in section of the breakfast show.

He said something along the lines of "I have Joe Duffy on the show today, huge coincidence considering you guys are now doing Liveline"

I thought that “section” was only for last week? God, it’s brutal.

The main reason I don’t like to Ciara Kelly’s show is down to the call ins. Morons giving their take on something while Ciara does that “yeah, yeah, yeah”, the last “yeah” is done on an inhale.

That and “Liveline” are the radio equivalent of boards.ie and listening to it is torturous.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The main reason I don’t like to Ciara Kelly’s show is down to the call ins. Morons giving their take on something while Ciara does that “yeah, yeah, yeah”, the last “yeah” is done on an inhale.

That and “Liveline” are the radio equivalent of boards.ie and listening to it is torturous.

Cant stand Ciara kelly at lunch, but shes grand compared to the 2 utter gobsh!tes on the morning show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

I hear you I hear you.

I take your point I do I take your point,

Ah shut up Ciara.

tototoe wrote: »
    Cant stand Ciara kelly at lunch, but shes grand compared to the 2 utter gobsh!tes on the morning show

I’d usually alternate between Lyric and Newstalk, more Lyric as Marty’s show is great.

Ciara, herself, is fine. Always thought she was good when she’d sit in for George Hook. Not enjoying the “format” of her show now though.

Susan Keogh is someone I’d like to hear more of, she wasted in that early “slot” on the weekends but the station has ruined their weekend now with that dreadful home and interior design nonsense and the business one, needs something better in between them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

No, I didn't hear it, so can't comment on whether she made any sense or not. I was only commenting on the idea that someone from a publication like Spiked shouldn't be let on Newstalk.

Would a trigger warning be of any assistance?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Would a trigger warning be of any assistance?

Pat is a big fan of his “kicking the can” sound effect.

Perhaps that could employ some from of klaxon to alert those of a more “sensitive” bent, P?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pat is a big fan of his “kicking the can” sound effect.

Perhaps that could employ some from of klaxon to alert those of a more “sensitive” bent, P?

Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, these lads are strict echo chamber punters.

No differing opinions welcome, and definitely no platforms to express it is how they roll.

Todays topic..naf songs. Oh how we laughed, such joy.

Todays topic..naf songs. Oh how we laughed, such joy.

They come across as quite awkward, or dorky, whenever they try to cover anything light hearted or silly.

They come across as quite awkward, or dorky, whenever they try to cover anything light hearted or silly.

I'd go much stronger than that.

Idiots would be one word
    Gobsh!tes another.
    utter plonkers.
    pathetic..

Trying to do the lighthearted stuff is worse than their arrogant interview style. Its bloody awful radio and not needed.

Idiots would be one word
    Gobsh!tes another.
    utter plonkers.
    pathetic..

Trying to do the lighthearted stuff is worse than their arrogant interview style. Its bloody awful radio and not needed.

I don’t mind them, to be honest. But I, rarely, get to hear too much of them.

Do you listen much yourself, T? Are you somewhere where you don’t have control over the “dial”?

If they bothered me that much I’d be switching off. I feel the same way about pretty much all the “morning shows” on all the other stations. Too many “banter merchants” acting zany and playing dreadful music for my liking.

If I might, I’d suggest turning on Lyric FM and listen in to Marty Whelan’s show. But, then again, If you’re not in control of what’s on I guess headphones are your best bet. Or earphones, even. Apparently, there’s an important difference.

"Do you listen much yourself, T? Are you somewhere where you don’t have control over the “dial”?"

That's exactly my situation.

• Advertisement

"Do you listen much yourself, T? Are you somewhere where you don’t have control over the “dial”?"

That's exactly my situation.

Not a great position to be in, at all.

I once spent a summer in a place that only played FM104, it was the same four or five songs that seemed to be played every hour, between the ads and the inane chatter.

Nearly drove me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Idiots would be one word
    Gobsh!tes another.
    utter plonkers.
    pathetic..

That much rage about two radio presenters. What has gone wrong with your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

They were really playing up the boiled water notice this morning as if it was some sort of national emergency. I’m affected by it but, come on, it’s an inconvenience rather than a crisis. It was real tabloid stuff. Coleman on his high horse that the Irish Water guy didn’t give a detailed cause or a definite timeframe. They’re literally reacting to a situation and relying on the HSE to give the all clear. I’d imagine it’s a bit difficult for them to give that sort of information with any certainty at this point. Reading between the lines, they were confident that it’d be sorted by the weekend but couldn’t give a guarantee because they’re relying on the HSE.

The vox pop was hilarious about the unhappiness in Swords. Yer man saying he couldn’t even have a cup of tea. Don’t you boil water to make tea?

Then off to Pawel in Super Valu to tell us about the stampede for bottled water. Cuddihy seemed very disappointed that his loaded questions weren’t met with “Yeah, they’ve been queuing overnight for bottled water and they’re ripping each others guts out for the water”.

Then Coleman, as per usual, inferring that the Irish publics’ failure to pay water charges was a probable cause. What a stretch to pursue an agenda. I personally paid water charges and am in favour of them but every time there is a sniff of a problem with water supply, Coleman is on this bandwagon.

It was pitiful, tabloid fear mongering that will only exacerbate any panic that does exist. It genuinely reminded me of some sort of Simpsons-esque parody rather than a news programme this morning.

meeeeh wrote: »
    That much rage about two radio presenters. What has gone wrong with your life?

I literally had to change from Newstalk every morning to maintain my sanity.

Given how vocal that Cuddihy was against previous groups who protested against direct provision centres in their town (racists I think he called them), I wonder how he feels about his old colleague Paul Williams who has now come out against the proposed direct provision centre in Ballinamore.

It's always different when it's your own town, isn't it.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Then Coleman, as per usual, inferring that the Irish publics’ failure to pay water charges was a probable cause. What a stretch to pursue an agenda. I personally paid water charges and am in favour of them but every time there is a sniff of a problem with water supply, Coleman is on this bandwagon.

It was pitiful, tabloid fear mongering that will only exacerbate any panic that does exist. It genuinely reminded me of some sort of Simpsons-esque parody rather than a news programme this morning.
    Not sure about fear mongering, but it reminded me of a discussion you might have in a taxi or on a barstool. I did like the anecdote though about whichever of them wrote the piece about Bertie Ahern being the (?) longest serving taoiseach. We've probably all had moments like that.

Today's trolling piece seems to be on "Jazz Hands". Glad I made it to work on time (before the discussion). :pac:

Not sure about fear mongering, but it reminded me of a discussion you might have in a taxi or on a barstool. I did like the anecdote though about whichever of them wrote the piece about Bertie Ahern being the (?) longest serving taoiseach. We've probably all had moments like that.

Today's trolling piece seems to be on "Jazz Hands". Glad I made it to work on time. :pac:

Let’s replace clapping at public events (because those who suffer from anxiety may fell increased stressed levels) and replace it instead with jazz hands.

On Monday’s show - is the act of using jazz hands a racist act in itself with its close association with minstrelsy?

I wonder how he feels about his old colleague Paul Williams

I'd say they are all of the same view i.e. Williams was a bore.

The idea that Cuddihy would change his mind because of Williams is ridiculous.

(Did Cuddihy even work with Williams? It was Coleman had that the short straw.)

Today's trolling piece seems to be on "Jazz Hands".

Trolling is all it was.

A few officers in the students union vote in a motion. Will the students respect this - will they fück.

Did anybody on the show think it was a good idea - not from the bits I listened to.

Yet it's international news.

All to generate some outrage and have yer da shouting "PC gone mad" at the radio.

• Advertisement

Trolling is all it was.

A few officers in the students union vote in a motion. Will the students respect this - will they fück.

Did anybody on the show think it was a good idea - not from the bits I listened to.
    Brendan O'Connor did a good interview with Salman Rushdie a few weeks back. This question came up, and Rushdie who lectures in the humanities at various US universities said he has never come across any of this stuff. Not once has any student objected to any reading material he proposed, or looked for 'trigger warnings' or the like. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen anywhere, but it doesn't seem to me to be widespread or that clapping at public events will be replaced or banned any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I think what bothered me about it was Shane's defence when a listener's s text called out the media on reporting it, he said "it is news and we are obligated to report on it and bring it to you" or something similar.

Its not news, it's nonsense and absolutely not something that needed to be reported on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

All to generate some outrage and have yer da morons on the Radio forum shouting "PC gone mad" at the radio.

fixed that for you ;)

Mispronounced words? Really cutting edge stuff here.

Another opportunity for Cuddihy to sneer. That's the only ability that the guy has, the ability to sneer with his nasal sneery voice.

Mispronounced words? Really cutting edge stuff here.

Another opportunity for Cuddihy to sneer. That's the only ability that the guy has, the ability to sneer with his nasal sneery voice.

He's had a few himself!

The Sports Report this morning with John Duggan (which I admit I was only listening to in the hopes that "Quinny" would be on for some insightful rugby analysis :rolleyes: :pac:) had John come out with a very strange turn of phrase when describing Arsene Wenger's departure from Arsenal a number of years back. It was something along the lines of "the long end of the fag" and then followed it up with something like "and it was the very long end of a long fag" or something like that. Maybe it's an expression I just haven't heard before but I found it very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I hate the listeners call-in slot we’re being subjected to of late. It seems the Newstalk Breakfast team are desperate to improve the show but don’t know what to do.

• Advertisement

I love the way Andrea Gilligan says 'adulthood' as 'addled-hood'. That's exactly how it feels sometimes.

I love the way Andrea Gilligan says 'adulthood' as 'addled-hood'. That's exactly how it feels sometimes.

She’s a good presenter but she does have that slightly stiff “news reader” delivery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

She’s a good presenter but she does have that slightly stiff “news reader” delivery.

She has awful pronunciation. This thing about dropping ‘g’ at the end of verbs is dreadful ie ‘workin’’ instead it ‘working’

She has awful pronunciation. This thing about dropping ‘g’ at the end of verbs is dreadful ie ‘workin’’ instead it ‘working’
    Accent vs pronunciation.. where do you draw the line? I hadn't noticed it, though I like her accent. Maybe, I spend too long listening to Beth Rigby on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

Accent vs pronunciation.. where do you draw the line? I hadn't noticed it, though I like her accent. Maybe, I spend too long listening to Beth Rigby on Sky.

I like her accent, too. Apparently she's from Donegal, though I wouldn't have guessed.

Sometimes there is a big difference between a presenter's on air accent and their accent away from the mic. I used to listen to Adrian Kennedy's phone show religiously and always thought he had a mild accent, even though he' from a corpo estate in Ballybrack.

Then I saw him on some chat show on RTE and he had a real thick dub accent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement