Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a rain proof running jacket please

• 17-10-2019 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

As it says I’m looking for a rain proof jacket.

I had a pro vis jacket back in the day and a Halfords brand similar style but to be honest, they weren’t lined and I found I would be drenched inside from the condensation / heat which was not ideal.

Looking at maybe increasing my miles over the winter and don’t want the gear to be an excuse so can you recommend the jacket you wear?

Doesn’t have to be crazy waterproof, just something light and breathable and doesn’t break the bank!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Breathable, good waterproofness, cheap. Pick 2 at best. You're not going to get all 3.

You seem to be erring on breathable and cheap. Most lightweight running wind resistant jackets will do OK with that. Waterproofing will be as near to non-existant as makes no difference on Irish winter days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Not cheap, but waterproof and breathable:

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/bonatti-wp-jkt-m.html#1191=12728

Best jackets I've ever had for keeping the rain out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Not cheap, but waterproof and breathable:

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/bonatti-wp-jkt-m.html#1191=12728

Best jackets I've ever had for keeping the rain out.

Yah not the price range i was hoping for! but thanks

I had a jacket for 100+ a couple of years ago and it got swiped on me at an event :mad: so i dont think ive recovered from that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

I can understand someone like Enduro needing a jacket but a good pair of cycling arm warmers any runs up to 2.5 hrs I am fine. I have done 2hrs in -20 with that, t-shirts and leggings. I would be too warm in a jacket.

I use Castelli NanoFlex+ Arm Warmers and they are great. Means all my short t-shirts can be worn in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'd tend to agree. You might need long arms for a the windbreaking effect, but for "normal" road running in winter, you actually don't need much of a waterproof jacket.

I have 2 jackets with minimal waterproofing that are fine 95% of the time, you get a bit damp but stay warm. I have an expensive Ronhill jacket, and tbh, I only really need it when I travel to colder climates than ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yeah, in general I broadly agree. If running in urban areas for an hour or so there your exposure will be fairly limited. It all comes down to personal preference for what is acceptable in terms of being uncomfortable. (In terms of comfort...Some people hate getting too warm and sweaty, some hate getting cold and wet more. I'm definitely in the latter group. I'm living in the wrong country!) As rom says, in my case heading out into the hills for a little longer is a different matter. It can cross over from being about comfort to being about safety. Totally different balance to considerations then.

Now is probably about the most awkward time of the year in terms of using waterproof jackets, as it happens. It's warm enough and damp enough to really test the breath-ability of even the best jackets, and hard to find the right balance in layering. But my next 2 races are likely to be in warmer weather so I'm happy to err on the overheating side whilst staying protected from the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Enduro wrote: »
    Yeah, in general I broadly agree. If running in urban areas for an hour or so there your exposure will be fairly limited. It all comes down to personal preference for what is acceptable in terms of being uncomfortable. (In terms of comfort...Some people hate getting too warm and sweaty, some hate getting cold and wet more. I'm definitely in the latter group. I'm living in the wrong country!) As rom says, in my case heading out into the hills for a little longer is a different matter. It can cross over from being about comfort to being about safety. Totally different balance to considerations then.

Now is probably about the most awkward time of the year in terms of using waterproof jackets, as it happens. It's warm enough and damp enough to really test the breath-ability of even the best jackets, and hard to find the right balance in layering. But my next 2 races are likely to be in warmer weather so I'm happy to err on the overheating side whilst staying protected from the rain.

Thanks! Honestly I get fairly hot when I run (hour max) so am fairly happy to run in tee and shorts. Just have a fear with the bad weather coming that I will start to skip out on going out running because of weather or get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

I have this one.

It keeps you dry for shorter runs but retains moisture over longer distances no matter how breathable it claims to be.I ran a wet 20 miler in it last week, ended up so warm and sweaty that I had to wring my t-shirt out after the run.

Like Enduro, I'd take warm and sweaty over cold and wet. Pricey but works perfectly as a wind jacket too as it's very light.

Plus it has a magic hood that stays up in fairly windy conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I have this as my ultralite jacket

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mizuno-Impulse-Impermalite-Jacket-Small/dp/B075QWYY2H/ref=sr_1_6?crid=31D1JOCAF5R3R&dchild=1&keywords=mizuno+impermalite&qid=1571916698&s=clothing&sprefix=mizuno+imperm%2Cclothing%2C179&sr=1-6

It's lighter than anything I've seen. It's great in a breeze and as waterproof as you can reasonably expect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement