Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worlds Longest Commercial Flight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

You have to hand it to the designers of the 777.
    The flight time is long,it wont be for everyone but plenty will use the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

smurfjed wrote: »
    As for the passengers, please tell me that they have some aircraft fitted with 9 across rather than 10 across down the back?

Sadly not, all their B77Ls are ten-abreast in Economy.

This is the joke the airline industry plays on us, they talk about 'choice' and then offer a choice of horrifically cramped Economy or Business Class at five or ten times the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

smurfjed wrote: »
    This has to be close to inhuman! I don't know if EK use average winds for the flight time, but there has to be occasions where the flight time will exceed 17:35, then considering that the crew have to be onboard before and after the flight, you are looking at 19+ hours on the aircraft.

Twice a month, then a couple of night turns to India to max out the hours.

Livin' the dream!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

This is probably a stupid question. but.
    This is ~ same distance as Dfw-Syd, only 10 miles difference, but that flight has a shorter flying time. Whoy?
    Is it just the published schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Different winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Eatmyshorts, I guess you work for them? How do the crews feel about these types of route, and do you have any choice about being rostered for it or not ie. Is there a bidding system in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Will they sacrifice weight for this flight or is the 777 LR well able to take the 10 abreast searing as well as full cargo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Will they sacrifice weight for this flight or is the 777 LR well able to take the 10 abreast searing as well as full cargo?

What an apt typo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

First test flight on the New York to Sydney route takes place this weekend. The flight is expected to take 20 hours, leaves on Friday arrives on Sunday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/business/story/2019-10-15/human-guinea-pigs-prepare-for-the-worlds-longest-flight-new-york-to-sydney-in-20-hours%3f_amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that would be unbearable unless you had a lie flat bed etc in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was on a Domestic flight in Russia from St Petersburg to Sakhalin that lasted 9 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Long haul flights are generally fine when there is nobody sitting beside you imo. Would like to think that if there is economy they won't go 9 abreast on the 787 but nothing would surprise me with airlines these days. Though can the 789 do that distance in 3 class config ?

I done Sydney to Doha on A380 this year and it was the worst 15.5hrs ever but only because of the person sitting next to me. When I return to Oz I'd defiantly be looking to split the flight more evenly or stop in Perth and onwards to Sydney etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

ozzy jr wrote: »
    [...] The flight is expected to take 20 hours, leaves on Friday arrives on Sunday.

[...]

Took them 19 hours 14 minutes. :)

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf7879#2287630a

Advertisement