Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there currently an obligation to remove Ash Dieback trees

Options
  • 12-09-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,114 ✭✭✭✭

Is there currently any obligation to remove trees infected with dieback?

Fella not too far from me has a few acres. There are a lot of black leaves in it, and some big trees that are still standing and look dead. The fella doesn't seemed to be arsed about them as they have been like that a few years.

(I don't know it's dieback, just wondering that if it was, would he be under some obligation to deal with it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

5. (1) The Minister may direct in writing the removal or destruction of a crop, plant product or wood which is infected with Chalara fraxinea or which in the opinion of an inspector authorised by the Minister appears—

http://www.legislation.ie/eli/2012/si/431/made/en/print

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Unless there is a danger to people or buildings, there is no great benefit. The disease has already spread across the country, so there is no possibility to contain it.

From a wildlife viewpoint dead trees are equally as valuable as living trees, so there are some positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The Ash dieback reconstitution scheme is currently suspended, since April 2017 I think, so I don't think there is an obligation to remove diseased trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,114 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What would an acre of ash trees be worth now? Say 10-15 years old but maybe some dieback in it? Would the standing trees be worth anything or would it be the case that you'd probably have to clear and replant it with something else to get a return 20 years down the road.

Say a small plot of what was decent agricultural land that you would have been able to grow anything in from spuds to cereals to grass before it was (stupidly) planted.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

At 15 years it has no commercial value. You'll get some firewood from it, but not a lot else. Personally I would thin out the weaker trees for firewood, and leave the best to grow. They may succumb to dieback, but as you've already got them in the ground for 15 years, I'd take the chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 hplp

There is interesting research coming out from Denmark and the UK on this.
    From my own research on the topic there seems to be 3 susceptible levels:
    1. will get it and die completely
    2. will get it and manage to survive/cope with it
    3. is resistant.

Stage 3 seems to vary around the 6% of the population depending on the age when exposed to it and it seems that those populations further north seem more resistant.

The danger is that when a branch/part of the tree has it, it looses all of the structural strength so felling trees with it can be dangerous with uncontrollable branch drop.

If there is no risk to people or property (like field edges etc), id say leave it be to see if it survives (which is essential if we want to keep ash to build up a resistance) and thats what I will be doing with mine.

H

Advertisement