Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indy movie recommendations

Options
  • 30-05-2007 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any good tips on a film or films. Also on a side note has anyone see the believer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Here's some good Indy movies:

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

:p
    Has anyone got any good tips on a film or films.

In all fairness, you'll have to give us a little more to go on if you want a proper recommendation. What are your likes and dislikes? What would you consider Indy films?
    Also on a side note has anyone see the believer?

Yes. Ryan Gossling was excellent in it, but the whole thing just pales in comparison with American History X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Has anyone got any good tips on a film or films. Also on a side note has anyone see the believer?

Firstly, yes, saw The Believer. Don't go near it with a...utter crap.

Indy movies:

First ones that springs to mind:

Naked (Mike Leigh, favourite film of all time)
    My Life without me
    Pieces of April
    Sweet Sixteen (Ken Loach)

If i think of others i'll get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Im not sure if I know what an Indy movie is but these are some I think you should watch. Basically anywhing by Todd Solondz (not sure If I spelt that right) like: Welcome to the dollhouse, Palindromes and Happiness are all awesmoe movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I could only watch half of happiness, I just could not watch anymore, way too cringeworthy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

happiness is fan tastic :) but it's the kind of film you stick on with trusted friends, and spend half the film watching their reaction to what's going on.

priceless :)

I've talked it up so much now though that a few of my friends just refuse to watch it.. I'll stick it on some night without telling them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Mordeth wrote:
    happiness is fan tastic :) but it's the kind of film you stick on with trusted friends, and spend half the film watching their reaction to what's going on.

priceless :)

I've talked it up so much now though that a few of my friends just refuse to watch it.. I'll stick it on some night without telling them

Not a film to watch with the parents! The thought of it.
    Great film though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Must recommend the two quirky delights that are The Squid and the Whale andMe and You and Everyone We Know. Very odd films, with some extremely uncomfortable moments, but both are amongst the best American films of the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Sorry to slightly hijack this post but it's spelled 'Indie' as in Independant film.

The only Indy films I know of are the ones Karl Hungus mentioned. Well for a small while anyways...

Sorry again

Oh and can I recommend 'Grosse Point Blank'. A fantastic movie with great performances and the reaffirmation that Dan Aykroyd was funny once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Hahahahaha, aren't you all very funny. I'd agree with most recommendations so far, and would like to ad Buffalo '66 to the list. Napolean Dynamite is Indie, as is Sideways, and garden state, and i'd highly recommend them.

Would not say the believer is worse then American History X though..."history...." is a little over the top for my tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Did anyone see Welcome to the Dollhouse? It was really kewl, after I saw it someone recommended Kids, which I thought was crap but a lot of people I know liked. So I'd recommend Kids as well.
    And I always recommend Lawndogs. Brilliant movie.
    I've never seen all of American History X, because no matter how hard I try I cant not turn away for the kerb scene! A lot of people liked Irreversible, I thought it was boring, but again Im recommending it on its popularity with all my friends, as well as Pauly Shore is Dead.

And A mighty wind and Best in Show. Very funny movies, not sure if there Indy but worth watching anyway. And again not quite sure of its Indy-ness but I enjoyed SFW, but most of the people I know hated it :P
    And does anyone
    remember the name of that movie with Crispin Glover and Keanue Reeves where there trying to cover up a murder? Crispin Glovers awesome in that, the name that keeps popping into my head is Mean Creek, but I know that’s a completely different movie. Well not too different actually now that I think about it! Maybe Donnie Darko is worth a mention (if it hasnt already been)

Oh and if someone could tell me if Im completely missing the mark by picking un-indy films it would be appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Heres a few of my favourites but dont know if some of them can be labled "indie"

Try
    Delicatessen
    City Of God
    Sexy Beast
    Land And Freedom
    C'est arrivé près de chez vous
    La Haine
    Naked
    PI

I will come add some more later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Cidade Baixa
    Nueve reinas
    El Aura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

thanks, sorry about the indie spelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

what indie exaclty these days?

er shattered glass, film about the young reporter making up his stories in the new republic, brilliant acting by star wars guy, got the dvd for 5e secondhand wth directors commentary with director and editor who figured him out and interview with the fraudster

Advertisement