Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirates 3

• 24-05-2007 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Have to say this was a bit of an anti-climax. I loved the first film, the second quite good too but this one really is a let down IMHO.
    Dunno why they had to change a winning formula.

I'm not sure how to do spoilers so I won't discuss any parts in depth, safe to say it was a fairly underwhelming film.
    :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bad reviews along with the inferior (but still occasionally fun) second have made me a bit cautious about going to see this.
    A shame really, as the first was a wonderful breath of fresh air when it really shouldn't have been.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Second one was a load of sh1te to be honest - if this has managed to be worse then... oh well. Shall steer clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SamBourke

Yea, first film of a series is always the best. There only after the money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

It has followed the same path as The Matrix trilogy.

First film - fresh, and very entertaining with a good mix of story and action
    Second film - Story a bit all over the place but still v.entertaining thanks to great action that tops the first
    Third film - Story all over the place and action that isnt as good as the second.

I went to the premier on Tuesday and I thought it was a mess of a film. Took about an hour to start, finally got going and then ended about 15 times. I didnt care about any of the characters or what happened next. After about an hour and a half I really wanted to leave the cinema. The last 45 minutes had some good action but still nothing that tops the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just seen it. Not as many laughs as the previous films and much too long like the last film. The story seems kind've aimless and unfocussed.

Captain Jack just isn't as entertaining anymore.
    Bloom and Knightley's characters are as you'd expect.
    Geoffrey Rush's Captain Barbosa is excellent as usual.
    And looks like we're in for another couple of sequels - not sure id bother watching them :/

In conclusion... 1st film > 2nd film > 3rd film
    5/10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Captain Barbosa defo star of the show.

Knightley did my head in :mad:
    It's like they tried to take the focus off Cap'n Jack and onto the rest, resulting in a mess of a fil altogether. Didnt think I'd be as bored as I was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Saw this myself last night as well, wasnt all that impressed by it either - certainly had a few good moments but my god did it drag out, I thought it was going to end on at least 3 seperate occasions.

I did laugh at -
    Firing the undead monkey out of the cannon :)

Completely agree with the 1 > 2 > 3 sequence being proposed here.

Was also expecting a bit more from Chow Yun Fat as Captain Sao Feng, he really didnt get much of a chance at all, could have been a much better carachter.

Also in total agreement that Barbosa was the star of the show, Knightly and Bloom seemed particularly wooden in their acting for most of the film.

A solid 5/10 here - Worth a watch if you have the time, but far too drawn out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

It's too long, and the plot's a bit of a mess, but overall I found it to be pretty entertaining stuff. Fantastic SFX, good action sequences, some pretty humorous moments, some decent performances (among some not so decent) and Captain Jack did put a smile on my face. :)

7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Total muck - too long - and totally confusing - all it was was people bargaining and double and triple crossing which was a total mess and impossible to even figure out what the hell was going on. 1st was alright, 2nd pretty bad, and this the greatest waste of a thursday off I've ever had. I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Saw it yesterday and i have to say, i liked it a lot. Granted action films don't have to do a lot to put a smile on my face.
    The bit on the Pearl in Davy Jones Locker with all the Jack Sparrows was quite funny as well as some of the scenes after it.

I liked it, bit messy, 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Evil_Bilbo wrote:
    Total muck - too long - and totally confusing - all it was was people bargaining and double and triple crossing which was a total mess and impossible to even figure out what the hell was going on. 1st was alright, 2nd pretty bad, and this the greatest waste of a thursday off I've ever had. I wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy.
    I agree with everything you said there.
    Id also like to add that the sub-plots to nowhere didnt help the movie in any way.

3/10 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

there was something very cheap about the way they had so many captain jacks in that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Very, very messy, but still quite entertaining....

Scripters meeting:

"Okay, so we got all these great characters, but we gotta beef them all up, AND introduce this new, Singaporeon(?) Captain..oh, oh, and
    keith richards as jack's dad, purely as some kind of joke
    ..."

"wait, shouldn't we have some kind of plot?"

"What? you crazy? if anything goes wrong, we'll just mill in some slushy crap, followed by a monologue, followed by a huge action scene,with liberal amounts of cap'n jack prancing around and then we'll be okay"

"but wait, who the **** is Calipso, is it
    Keira Knightly, that voodoo bird played by naomi harris, or is it actually the sea?

"i dunno, stop asking questions and drink up me hartys!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Am I missing something, what was the point of the opening sequence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mark Kermode's review for Five Live was hilarious - it'll probably prove more entertaining than the film itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I felt it was overall an entertaining film although it really was still all over the place.

Definitely room for sequels.

The
    multiple Cap'n Jack's were really poorly done in some scenes, very bad effects
    Also, the 'special effects' for Calypso's freedom were very poor, the crabs were okay but the 'giant' bit was crap

There were some very good funny moments, some great recurring themes but some of the dialogue was very poor. I also wonder whether the performances by Bloom and Knightly are indicative of their recent announcements that they would like to take a break from the industry for a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

r3nu4l wrote:
    Also, the 'special effects' for Calypso's freedom were very poor, the crabs were okay but the 'giant' bit was crap
    It felt like Ray Harryhausen put his hand in for a bit more Clash of the Titans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to make a family movie three freakin' hours long! I probably wouldn't have minded so much if there was enough story for those hours but it just got ridiculous with long drawn out shot after another..

The writers seem to have taken the bad habits from the second one and applied them here again. Too much bloody plot and not nearly enough bloody fun. And I just don't get there insistence in wrapping up every tiny characters story. I mean everybody turns up again in this movie. Even the dog is back fer chrissakes!

The bit with Jack Sparrow or Barbossa were, as they were in the first movie, great. The bits with Kiera Knightley and Orlando Bloom were shockingly boring (Seriously Orlando, isn't it about time you thought about maybe giving up this ol' 'acting' lark and give something else a try). The baddies were not threatening in the least- especially Lord Beckett. Davy Jones also seemed to have lost his mojo in this one, reduced as he was to lapdog for most of the running time.

Over all a very poor finish to a series that started out so well and to be honest, probably should've quit while it was ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

To be honest I never saw the attraction of this series.
    The first film was very average and was based on a theme park ride,the plot was made around this and changed during filming.
    Thats not a viable way to make a proper movie not to mind base 2 sequels on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It might be odd, but I have to say, I rather enjoyed this. I went into it expecting rubbish, but it wasn't all that bad, and aside from the incredible bloatedness of the film, it left me somewhat satisfied.

I could be rather hard on the film, but to be frank, after the 2nd film, were people really expecting a masterpiece to rival the first Pirates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I liked it more than I expected too. Barbossa and Davy Jones were both really cool, but I thought the whole Calypso plotline was pointless!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Thought this was all over the place. No direction at all, and by the end with all the double, triple and quadruple crossing I didn't know who was the good guys and who was the bad guys, and nor did I care either.

Thought the practical and visual FX were superb (With a few dodgy bits, some of depp's doubles were poor).

The last action sequence was good too.

Overall though a big 'meh'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I admit it tried to be bigger then it really was plotwise, and it tried to give kiera knightly too much to do (especially in the acting department)

But I thought it came across as a much more solid blockbuster then spiderman 3 and it was entertaining.

If you liked the other two (both of them, not just one) then this one is good fun, just not as good as the other two. It doesnt have as much impact as it spends the majority of its time finsihing up what 2 started and what new elements it brought to the board (calipso) didnt hold as much of a wow factor.

also the only problem with all the double dealing in the film is that some of it didnt come to fruitition (calipso
    taking revenge on the pirates was simply skipped over, I was hoping for both fleets to be destroyed except for the pearl and dutchman
    )

Forgot to mention, did anyone see the scene after the credits roll? -
    Basically what happens is just after the credits roll, the screen reads ''10 Years Later''. You then see a young boy running along beside a cliff and behind him is Elizabeth (the boy's presumably her son). They're both looking out at sea, watching a sunset when the sky flashes green. Then a ship appears with Will on board, smiling. The camera then cuts back to Elizabeth and the boy, who are smiling back at the ship. So I think it's Will returning to land after 10 years for his one day of 'freedom' from the Dutchman.. which was mentioned in the film.

Does leave things open for a possible 4th chapter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I certainly won't be seeing it anyway. Enjoyed the first one, thought the second one was painful. Felt like I was in the cinema for about two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

To be honest I never saw the attraction of this series.
    The first film was very average and was based on a theme park ride,the plot was made around this and changed during filming.
    Thats not a viable way to make a proper movie not to mind base 2 sequels on it.
    QFT
    I couldnt believe when i heard they made a film based on the POTC ride, i assumed it would be cheesy disney made tripe, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually turned out to be okay. But it was a once off fluke, they basically made one good film, saw the unexpected positive reactions to it and quicky hashed together a couple more movies, sat back and watched the cash flow in. Same thing happened with the matrix, both potc1 & matrix 1 were movies that never shouldve recieved a sequel, nevermind a threequel.
    Suffice to say i wont be seeing this, after the stinkfest that was potc2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I thought it was overall a good film, you had to really pick up the subtle hints to get all the crossing plot lines straight. To answer one question...
    The beggining scene was
    so that you could see Beckett discover the pirates "secret" song. In Singapore, when what's his face asian pirate leader see's that guy with his tatoo's sweating off, the guy is one of beckets.

One other thing I thought was interesting, was a comment that was made about the number two where someone said that Davy jones was completely fake with this squid face, but in this they explain why he's like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Just back from seeing this.... I enjoyed it! I think most of the reviews have been very harsh. It's a popcorn movie with enough laughs and action to be worth the ticket price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I did enjoy it but it went on too long. If it was 30 - 45 minutes shorter I think it would have been more enjoyable.
    I did however laugh at the monkey freezing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I did enjoy most of it, but I do think it was too long. It doesn't help I saw a very late showing of it, but there are quite a few bits that could have been pruned or removed completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

It was entertaining enough imo. Bit overly complicated and a tad too long (maybe by about 40 mins) but it was fun and i liked the whole pirate mythology of things with Calypso and the Pirate Brethren.

Now hopefulyl Turner and Miss Swan will be gone from the series completely
    Now that he is captain of the Dutchman, and in the secret ending we see he comes back to see his Wife and new Son 10 years later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thought it was an ok film, watchable would have prefered to rent it and save myself the money.

Completely lost interest at the point where
    Turner and Swan get married while fighting on the boat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

robnubis wrote:
    Now hopefulyl Turner and Miss Swan will be gone from the series completely
    Now that he is captain of the Dutchman, and in the secret ending we see he comes back to see his Wife and new Son 10 years later
    That's two people who have said that now... wasn't it a
    daughter, and not a son?

Anyway... this film was completely unrealistic.... ships captains have no authority to perform marriages... that's just made up Hollywood nonsense.

That's two people who have said that now... wasn't it a
    daughter, and not a son?
    I'm pretty sure it was a son.. as I remember he looked very like the kid at the start who started the song during the hangings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Loved the first two films but this really disappointed me!

Too long, not funny enough, not exciting enough.

It lacked the wittiness and action of the first, it lacked the fun of the second - it was so very mediocre.

Shame as it could have been a great trilogy, but was sullied by a final film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jello wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it was a son.. as I remember he looked very like the kid at the start who started the song during the hangings.
    I'm starting to think that either I'm going mental or there are two endings out there.
    The daughter looked very like the girl who played the young Elizibeth in the first film.

I'm starting to think that either I'm going mental or there are two endings out there.
    The daughter looked very like the girl who played the young Elizibeth in the first film.

Heh. Well here's what the wiki page says:
    ''In a post-credits scene set ten years later, Will reunites with Elizabeth and their son. As the Dutchman appears, it is accompanied by a green flash.''
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

WTF?
    Filming finished on January 10, 2007 in Molokai,[16] and the first assembly cut was three hours.[17] Twenty minutes were removed, not including end credits, though producer Jerry Bruckheimer maintained that the long running time was needed to make the final battle work in terms of build-up.[18] One scene cut explained that if Calypso had greeted Davy Jones after his ten years of ferrying dead souls, then he would have been freed of his duty: in turn, Will is freed of his captaincy as Elizabeth remains faithful to him ten years later

from the wiki page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_world%27s_end

That is really interesting plotpoint and they cut it?

I guess it makes the ending a tad darker, but it could have been used to make the middle point a bit more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

0ubliette wrote:
    I couldnt believe when i heard they made a film based on the POTC ride, i assumed it would be cheesy disney made tripe, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually turned out to be okay. But it was a once off fluke, they basically made one good film, saw the unexpected positive reactions to it and quicky hashed together a couple more movies, sat back and watched the cash flow in. Same thing happened with the matrix, both potc1 & matrix 1 were movies that never shouldve recieved a sequel, nevermind a threequel.
    Here's my theory. It involves a link between the Pirates and Matrix trilogies.

Both the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the first Matrix movies had been floating around Hollywood for years. Each time it was sent to a studio and rejected, the writers took the script back and refined it. After six or seven rejections (which is what, I think, the script for the first Pirates movie got), the writers were left with tremendously tight scripts, which were either going to flop or set the world on fire.

And we both know what happened. So when the studios said "We need more! We need two more films! Back to back!", the writers had to bang out sequels quickly, losing that refining process that made the first movie so good.

(Star Wars: A New Hope had a similar reject-refine process. Empire and Jedi at least had the advantage of not being filmed back-to-back, giving Lucas enough time to work on them without being rushed.)

Aaaaaaaaanyway.

I loved the first Pirates movie and enjoyed the second one well enough. I was willing to give Dead Man's Chest the benefit of the doubt because it's hard to be the middle part of a trilogy, especially one leaving so many narrative threads up in the air to be answered in the third movie.

The third one, well... There was a lot to like. The sheer spectacle of the thing is fantastic, and I think it really managed to recapture a lot of the 'feel' of the ride. Taken by itself, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more than I did. Unfortunately, within the "Pirates" universe, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. There were elements that were suddenly introduced in the third movie that were a little too much like deus ex machina (the whole Calypso thing stunk to high heaven), and the plot never managed to be as enjoyably convoluted as the first one, remaining just 'convoluted'.

Still though, as summer blockbusters go, it's hard to be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Just heard that Pirates 3: made over 400million at the Box-office, breaking records, didnt they say the same about Spiderman 3 :p & there's talk about a 4th one?
    BTW, how much did Spidey take in recently?

• Advertisement

300yarrrzx3.jpg

300yarrrzx3.jpg

That's brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

standbyme wrote:
    Just heard that Pirates 3: made over 400million at the Box-office, breaking records, didnt they say the same about Spiderman 3 :p & there's talk about a 4th one?
    BTW, how much did Spidey take in recently?
    It beat the previous Memorial Day weekend record set by X-Men 3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piratesofthecaribbean3.htm

It made some amount of money outside of the US. Goes to show how important the global box-office is to the studios these days.

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Here's my theory. It involves a link between the Pirates and Matrix trilogies.

Both the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and the first Matrix movies had been floating around Hollywood for years. Each time it was sent to a studio and rejected, the writers took the script back and refined it. After six or seven rejections (which is what, I think, the script for the first Pirates movie got), the writers were left with tremendously tight scripts, which were either going to flop or set the world on fire.

And we both know what happened. So when the studios said "We need more! We need two more films! Back to back!", the writers had to bang out sequels quickly, losing that refining process that made the first movie so good.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

According to the trivia on imdb.com, At Land's End started filming without a finished script. That can hardly be a good sign, can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

SofaKing wrote:
    It beat the previous Memorial Day weekend record set by X-Men 3.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=piratesofthecaribbean3.htm

It made some amount of money outside of the US. Goes to show how important the global box-office is to the studios these days.

Yeah you're right there 62.1%

You believe what you hear on the radio is where i heard it, but according to the llink it says the 2nd done better :p

Also it says it was the widest release, probably take in a lot more money. Was it X-Men 2/3 released in 92 countries that held that record?, so there would be less piracy. (according to Ian McKellen on Parky promoting the film then)

Isnt it a coincidence or is it boring to have films in a short space of time that you have 3 films with 3 at the end of the title :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

According to the trivia on imdb.com, At Land's End started filming without a finished script. That can hardly be a good sign, can it?

Same goes for Alien 3, Jurassic park 3 and Terminator 3... do you see a pattern here?

r3nu4l wrote:
    Yea I agree, for such a big budget film it looked very tacky.

Galvasean wrote:
    Same goes for Alien 3, Jurassic park 3 and Terminator 3... do you see a pattern here?
    I wonder if Matrix 3 was the same? Cos it certainly looked that way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wonder if Matrix 3 was the same? Cos it certainly looked that way!!
    I'm still waiting for Matrix 3 to finish. It didn't so much end as just stop.

Pirates 1 was an OK film, a bit meh but funny and entertaining enough to watch. The 2nd one was crap though. Jack Sparrow was lovable in the first, but they turned him into an a$$hole in the 2nd. Couldn't quite understand that TBH. I'll not bother to watch the 3rd, or any subsequent films there might be, unless it's on the TV or someone has it on a DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

overall ,though it was a very good movie, it did lag quite a bit in the middlee though.bloom was as annoying as ever.depp and [surprisingly] knightly were brillant.the plot was non existant though, but hey, no one went for the complex storyline!

• Advertisement
Advertisement