Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Psycho

Options
  • 14-05-2007 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I watched American Psycho for the fifth time last night on DVD. It is one of my top-ten movies of all time. It’s just fantastic. I checked it out on IMDB to get some recommendations for similar movies 'if you liked that you may like this' etc.,but the recommendations, although good in themselves were nothing like American Psycho.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any similar movies? In a Last.fm kind of way, here are some movies i like, can you tell me some more that you think are similar or cool or better to any of these?

American Psycho,
    Bladerunner (but perhaps only because of the game),
    Leon,
    Le Mepris,
    Dawn of the Dead,
    Transfomers - The Movie,
    Koyaanisqatsi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leon
    Nikita
    Taxi Driver
    Braveheart

classics

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Vorak wrote:
    Koyaanisqatsi
    This is a brilliant piece of cinema and I've been meaning to nominate it in the film of the week thread.

There are 2 sequels to it. I've seen the first sequel "Powaqqatsi" and didn't think too much of it but most likely I just wasn't in the humour for it at the time and I've yet to see the second sequel "Naqoyqatsi"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

Watching "Naqoyqatsi" is a complete waste of time. It starts really powerfully with close-ups of Bruegel's Tower of Babylon and then moves to really beautiful images of old dilapidated buildings in the states. Then however it switches to really dated flying graphics in what looks like a really bad winamp visualisation with spinning dollar signs and rotating sculls. 90% of the film is this crap which may be loaded with meaning but is an absolute effort to sit and watch, very disappointing, and does not compare on any level to the other two films.

Dead thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Watched Blade runner for the first time last week.
    Wasnt impressed.

I guess for its time it was brilliant because of the effects but I thought the story wasnt gret.

Leon is and excellent film.
    The Departed of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

American Pyscho is possibly one of the most unique films there is, so there's very little to compare it to. There's just an almost undefinably quirkiness, cleverness and satire that not other film really has.

If I was going to hazard a recommendation though, it would have to be the TV series Dexter. It's not the same as American Psycho, but it is a narrative told from the point of view of a serial killer. Overall, I think it's probably one of the best things that's been on TV, ever.

Otherwise, I should tell you to also check out The Boondock Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

LETS SEE YOU GET A RESERVATION AT D'ORSIA NOW!!:mad: :mad:

The book is great too

Under no circumstances should you ever watch the sequel to American Psycho.

Wow, theres a sequel to American Psycho? How does that tie into the story?
    I watched T3 last night, my balls retracted into my body.

Thanks for the suggestions Karl, although when you suggested Dexter i thought you suggested Dilbert, which although i do have the DVD box set, found it hard to make the connection.

I may check out Dilbert...sorry Dexter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Watched Blade runner for the first time last week.
    Wasnt impressed.

I guess for its time it was brilliant because of the effects but I thought the story wasnt gret.

For the love of god don't listen to this man and deny yourself the definitive sci-fi film. Just make sure you only watch the directors cut.

• Advertisement

Vorak wrote:
    Wow, theres a sequel to American Psycho? How does that tie into the story?
    It's set in the modern day about this girl going to college and as a little kid she was responsible for Bateman's capture when he murdered her babysitter.

She goes on to be a killer herself... I don't remember much else about the plot other than it was terrible.

And yes.... the directors cut of Bladerunner is one of the finest science fiction films of all time.

Vorak wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions Karl, although when you suggested Dexter i thought you suggested Dilbert, which although i do have the DVD box set, found it hard to make the connection.

I may check out Dilbert...sorry Dexter.

It makes a change though, because usually when I suggest Dexter, people think I'm talking about Dexter's Laboratory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

try any of the easton ellis movies

rules of attraction

im sure there are more..

or try a huey lewis and the news CD for some emotionally driven harmonica playing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A clockwork orange perhaps ? Love that film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

It was already mentioned above but I'd definitely recommend Taxi Driver. Absolutely riveting movie.

De Niro is superb with the emotional cracking up and his increasing desire to lash out at society. And the movie score by Bernard Hermann really augments the film. As soon as I get my dvd player back, then I must watch this again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

American Psycho could have been so much better. I tried to like it, but in the end, it really isn't that good at all. Bale is the only really good thing about it, along with the use of Genesis' music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Mr. Hungus, what the hell? The boondock saints? Please tell me you're taking the piss.... I have thus far agreed with mist things you have said re:films, but god! It's awful! Billy Connolly? Oirish accents? I really hope theres another film with the same name, and it's not the film Overnight is about....

Oh,if American Psycho floated your candle, i'd say to check out Buffalo '66

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Thought American Psycho was a good movie but its a steaming pile of dog turd compared to the book. I mean some of the nasty sh*t that goes on in that book you just couldnt translate it to the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

American Psycho could have been so much better. I tried to like it, but in the end, it really isn't that good at all. Bale is the only really good thing about it, along with the use of Genesis' music.
    I thought it was decent but it lacked the wonderful ambiguity that the book had. Bale's performance makes it worth watching though.

Boondock Saints is nonsense. It always baffles me why that film has become such a cult hit.

I recently bought one of Scorcese's early films, Boxcar Bertha. Worth a purchase for the tenner it cost me.

Mr. Hungus, what the hell? The boondock saints? Please tell me you're taking the piss.... I have thus far agreed with mist things you have said re:films, but god! It's awful! Billy Connolly? Oirish accents? I really hope theres another film with the same name, and it's not the film Overnight is about....

No, I'm not taking the piss, I geniunely like the film. Sure, you have to put aside the atrocious accents, but it was a very enjoyable film.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    No, I'm not taking the piss, I geniunely like the film. Sure, you have to put aside the atrocious accents, but it was a very enjoyable film.

Oh well....far be it from me to criticise the opinion of another(i.e. to turn this into an imdb.com board).... and one who is named after one of Jackie Treehorn's main players no less....

Oh well....far be it from me to criticise the opinion of another(i.e. to turn this into an imdb.com board).... and one who is named after one of Jackie Treehorn's main players no less....

Feel free to criticise, you just won't be chaning my mind that it's a supremely enjoyable film, and one that I would really recommend. Willem Dafoe was just fantastic.

Originally posted by Karl Hungus
    Willem Dafoe was just fantastic.

Ah yes, jesus is drag, the one redeeming feature of that film....
    Anyyyyway, little off topic here.

If likey American Psycho, i'd also recommend Rules of attraction, und Wall St.....But both for very different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If you liked American Psycho you should watch Rules of Attraction. Its main character is Sean Bateman (brother of Patrick) and shares American Psycho's brand of dark cynical humor. There is a great reference to American Psycho in it so,
    "Keep your eyes open!"

Originally posted by galvasean
    There is a great reference to American Psycho in it

"Who's Patrick" my oh my how i laughed.....
    Not as good as clifton collins jr. talkin about 21 jump st. though

"Who's Patrick"
    "None of your business!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

paddycorry wrote:
    'Lunar Park' is a half-decent read, sort of a sequel to 'American Psycho', might also be a movie someday..

lunar park is a great book...side note

Lunar Park could never be done justice in a movie IMO. A true adaptation would be so out there the standard cinema going public wouldn't understand it and it would be a big flop.

Advertisement