Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ready made/instant vegetarian meals, do they exist?

Options
  • 18-03-2013 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi all

Maybe a bit of a strange question, but I'm going to ask it anyway
    Is there such a thing as ready made or instant vegetarian meals? I have recently just made the switch from going vegan/it just didn't work out for me, to being vegetarian again. I have absolutely no interest in cooking, but do want to eat well if I can/maybe that's a contridiction in terms, but like title says, do meals such as these exist?
    I'm not particularly fussed on fake meets or tofu, and by instant I don't just mean microwave, though I'm open to this, I can absolutely wait 20 minutes if necessary for something to cook in the oven.
    I know I might be being picky now, but if possible suggestions of stuff that isn't full of salt/preservitives would be great two. I know I am probably unique when it comes to being vegetarian and having no interest in cooking, but I just really don't have the inclination plus I am visually impaired two so any thing that makes life easier is a bonus. Not playing the VI card or anything I mean the main reason for this thread is what I've said above, but my visual impairment does play a part in just wanting things to be simple and easy.
    I eat eggs but hate quorn just to save people suggesting the quorn stuff. I can't see at all so can't really read lists of ingredience, which is why I ask for suggestions of stuff that's not full of salt/preservitives, because I can't really be asking people in my local shop to read out the ingredience of everything I want to buy, and same if I ask someone to pick something up in a supermarket.
    Last edit...
    I'm open to things that are easy to cook fresh but that just don't need loads of preparation.
    Realise that ready meals are no way to sustain long-term health...

Any help would be so much appreciated and thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

ye most definitely, Dee's pots are super tasty and healthy and no preservatives afaik, there are also innocent pots, made by the same crowd that make the smoothies. You'll find these in the fridge part of tescos and the like. Mark and Spencers also have some nice things in the vegetarian fridge isle, veg moussaka, veg lasagne etc. Finding it hard to think of stuff right now but Dees are a good place to start, there's loads of different ones and they are a full meal in a tub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

afterglow wrote: »
    I know I am probably unique when it comes to being vegetarian and having no interest in cooking,

It is so unusual to see that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Zombienosh wrote: »
    It is so unusual to see that sentence.

Not necessarily. There's plenty of vegetarians who live on pasta and the like. I had no interest in cooking until I became vegetarian and found out how easy it could be to cook from scratch and how rewarding the meals which weren't so quick and easy. That said there are still evening when I come home and just cannot be bothered.

OP, afaik Dees are the healthiest option when it comes to vegetarian ready meals. Linda McCartney does lasagnes and these leek and cheese pastries which are really good but I don't think they'e as healthy as Dee's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I was the same had no interest in cooking until I became veggie, then my world opened up and I love cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Another vegetarian who doesn't really like to cook here. I know it's probably bad for my health but I'm just really not bothered with the labour of cooking healthy dinners all the time after coming home from work in the evening! I agree that Dees and Innocent vegetable pots are pretty good! Other than those, the next easiest things tend to be pasta or stir-fry - but those tend to be a bit more fattening I would think. You can sometimes find vegetable curry type ready meals in the freezer sections but I never really tried them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

You can also get Linda McCartney little ready meals in the chilled section of some Tesco's. They have a bean and sausage stew, lentil and vegetable cottage pie, chilli non carne and a hot pot one (there could be more, that's all I remember off the top of my head), in little tubs the same as the Dee's ones. I would think the Dee's ones are healthier but just to give you options!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Quorn have started to branch into doing lunch pots and the like, they tend to be a little pricy though.

I think, if you want to be a successful and healthy veggie in the long term. You need to learn to cook.
    I have seen too many people subsist on crappy processed food.
    Then a decade down the line, the inevitable happens. They suffer some deficiency, or they age prematurely and they give up. Blaming the vegetarianism.

Do you have a PA?
    You could have a cooking afternoon, once a week.
    Freeze the meals in individual portions.
    Heat them up in the microwave as you need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

hi all
    Thanks so much for your replies some of which have been very helpful. Moonbaby, I appreciate what your saying, but surely cooking fresh freezing and microwaving is pointless. To me that seems much the same as buying something in the shop and cooking in the oven. Only difference between doing that and what your suggesting is more bother first. And no, I certainly do not have a PA. Not so privlaged i'm afraid.
    I will have a look into the inocent pots and mns seems like a fab idea. actually i'm going to the country for the weekend and intend on going to mns for some food to take with me as the bf's family are all meet eaters.
    Thanks again for all replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

hi all
    Thanks so much for your replies some of which have been very helpful. Moonbaby, I appreciate what your saying, but surely cooking fresh freezing and microwaving is pointless. To me that seems much the same as buying something in the shop and cooking in the oven. Only difference between doing that and what your suggesting is more bother first.

No, because when you make your own food you know what is going into it - and that means so preservatives or additives to prolong its shelf-life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

Hi all

Is there such a thing as ready made or instant vegetarian meals? I have recently just made the switch from going vegan/it just didn't work out for me, to being vegetarian again. I have absolutely no interest in cooking, but do want to eat well if I can/maybe that's a contridiction in terms, but like title says, do meals such as these exist?
    I'm not particularly fussed on fake meets or tofu, and by instant I don't just mean microwave, though I'm open to this, I can absolutely wait 20 minutes if necessary for something to cook in the oven.
    I know I might be being picky now, but if possible suggestions of stuff that isn't full of salt/preservitives would be great two. I know I am probably unique when it comes to being vegetarian and having no interest in cooking, but I just really don't have the inclination plus I am visually impaired two so any thing that makes life easier is a bonus. Not playing the VI card or anything I mean the main reason for this thread is what I've said above, but my visual impairment does play a part in just wanting things to be simple and easy.
    I eat eggs but hate quorn just to save people suggesting the quorn stuff. I can't see at all so can't really read lists of ingredience, which is why I ask for suggestions of stuff that's not full of salt/preservitives, because I can't really be asking people in my local shop to read out the ingredience of everything I want to buy, and same if I ask someone to pick something up in a supermarket.
    Last edit...
    I'm open to things that are easy to cook fresh but that just don't need loads of preparation.
    Realise that ready meals are no way to sustain long-term health...

Any help would be so much appreciated and thanks for reading. :)

Would be delighted for you to feedback on our products, not sure if I can put a website on this page but if you google Dee's Wholefoods our site will come up. All of our pots (bar the Thai Veg Pot ) are low in salt and sugar and fat, there are NO artificial additives whatsoever in our food (something other producers cannot claim!) we even source organic unsulphured apricots and raisins for our Moroccan meal to keep the sulphites (preservatives) out of our products. The seaweed we use in our new vegan sausages is actually certified organic we get it from www.wildirishseavegetables.com. The Quinoa Pots would be ideal for you, as Quinoa is a high protein grain, there's also a carb element in the form of a potato/sweet potato and a protein element also from either chickpeas, lentils or kidney beans depending on which ones you buy. Hope you enjoy and we make your life a little easier by way of cooking : ) kind regards, Dee

You can also get Linda McCartney little ready meals in the chilled section of some Tesco's. They have a bean and sausage stew, lentil and vegetable cottage pie, chilli non carne and a hot pot one (there could be more, that's all I remember off the top of my head), in little tubs the same as the Dee's ones. I would think the Dee's ones are healthier but just to give you options!

Thank you! Yes, we certainly are healthier and tastier too I hope : )

--LOS-- wrote: »
    ye most definitely, Dee's pots are super tasty and healthy and no preservatives afaik, there are also innocent pots, made by the same crowd that make the smoothies. You'll find these in the fridge part of tescos and the like. Mark and Spencers also have some nice things in the vegetarian fridge isle, veg moussaka, veg lasagne etc. Finding it hard to think of stuff right now but Dees are a good place to start, there's loads of different ones and they are a full meal in a tub.

Thank you! Yes, no artificial additives whatsover, also no dairy/eggs/gmo/wheat/gluten or soy.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

hi Dee

Thanks so much for writing. I will definitely try some of your food's, are they available in marks, or would dones stores be better?
    Very much appreciate your posting and thanks again :)

Your best bet is Tesco, followed by Superquinn, Dunnes have no vegetarian section to speak of and Supervalu have our products in some of their larger stores. Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi all

Is there such a thing as ready made or instant vegetarian meals?

I buy veggie ready meals in M&S all the time. M&S have lots of high quality vegetarian options in their various ranges.

Advertisement