Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IYO, Gory = scary?

• 03-06-2007 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

It seems that all the latest films waste so much time bein the most gory, they let everything else go to the dogs

But i dont think Gore is scary at all, its gory!

Fear and disgust are 2 completely different feelings, that seem to have acquired the same meaning, for example Saw 3

So what you think? Is bucket loads of blood and guts scary????

Is gore [graphic blood/guts/organs/black stuff] scary??? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

i agree.

most horror movies these days seem to concentrate on the shocking images they can put forward in order to make the audience squirm in their seats. but whenever i seen images like this i am more interested in how they did it, because i know it is fake and most of the time they cannot even create the lie that it is fake (low budget, bad fx).

i am more terrified by movies like blair witch, halloween, jaws - movies that concentrate on athmosphere and dread than shock and gore. some movies mirrior the two and work (dario argento movies for one, sam raimi's first 2 evil deads for another) but they are not that many out there. i tend to think the golden age for horror was the 70's and even though more horror movies are been made today than ever before, 99% are not of a high quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Only certain gore scares me.

eg. Evil Dead; none of the gore scared me at all but the
    pencil in the ankle
    freaked the Hell out of me.

eg. Saw 3;
    Only really the bit at the start with the guy covered in chains, freaked me out. When he pulls the rings out of his hip and ankle i flinched

I'm sure there is a pattern to what i'm afraid of regarding gore, i just haven't figured it all out. I think Brain Dead de-sensitised me to a lot of blood n' guts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gore isn't supposed to be scary, it's supposed to be gorey. You say yourself that fear and disgust are two different feelings, and I think it should be perfectly obvious that gore films are trying to evoke a different feeling than a film that relies on atmosphere and scares.

It's like two different genres of Horror.

Advertisement