Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From the producers of

• 03-06-2007 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Producers have no creative input into films so why are most films advertised as "From the producers of"

who won best producer at last years oscars ? oh yea there was none lol

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Producers are the people who decide to get the film made. So if I enjoyed a film, and heard that a new film was by the same producers, I might just be tempted to check it out, knowing that they had decided to make a good film in the past, the chances are they'll make a good movie again.

And the Best Picture Oscar goes to the producers only, so there is a category for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i would be careful of going to see a movie because it was from the producers of something else you liked, because some producers are just studio lackeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

every day's a schoolday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think that "From the producers of" is just as valid a way of promoting interest as anything else. For example, if I see a film that Luc Besson has produced, I think I know what to expect. Likewise with Michael Bay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

MooseJam wrote:
    Producers have no creative input into films

Not true at all. In most cases the producer chooses the director, which is a creative choice in itself. If the director and producer don't see eye to eye, they hire someone else.

Look at Armageddon, Con Air, Crimson Tide, The Rock, all clearly produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Even Black Hawk Down (directed by Ridley Scott) has the Bruckheimer stamp on it.

Don't make the mistake of believing the director has total creative control over the film, as unless he's he's Steven Spielberg, Michael Mann, etc, he doesn't. Unless he takes a producer/executive producer credit then he's probably just a hired hand, doing what he's told.

The popularity of the auteur theory means that the studios want everyone to think the director has total control over the film but it's rarely the case. Hell, even Scorsese gets his films f**ked with, but he never comes out says it because it would hurt his reputation with the studios. Gilliam almost ruined his career by going to the press about Brazil.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

MooseJam wrote:
    Producers have no creative input into films

thats usually executive producers i.e the money men

Advertisement