Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No chainsaws were hurt in the making of this firewood!

Options
  • 06-10-2019 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭

Knocking an old (dead) oak back in May, I was left with a 1m section that I couldn't cut on-site with the chainsaw on account of successive ancestral land-owners having used this tree as a fencepost, with bits of wire (plain and barbed) apparently hammered in various points around the circumference.

This week I set about cutting it down to stove-sized pieces, but still couldn't figure out how all these bits of wire connected to each other, so decided to split it old-school. Well ...

492429.jpg

I have found many a strange feature inside a trunk over the years, but never a complete bit of fence! Must be at least fifty years old. It was embedded in the charred core, where the tree was obviously hit by lightning at some point, though there were no external signs at all (gave me an awful fright when the saw suddenly started spewing jet black shavings as I got about a third of the way through :eek: )

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

All that wire must have made it a good lightening conductor.:eek:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I was in a local pine forest last week and found a plastic container under one of the roots.
    Must have been there years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I was in a local pine forest last week and found a plastic container under one of the roots.
    Must have been there years.

Wasn't a geocache, was it?

Advertisement