Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree shelters for whips?

Options
  • 30-09-2019 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

I've ordered 250 tree whips from treesontheland.com but I will need some sort of protection from sheep/cattle as they will be planted in fields with access for the animals.

What kind of protection should I be looking at. The Tubex ones are pretty expensive for the 1.2m ones which I presume would be necessary for the sheep at least.

Are there handy home-made ones using fence mesh or are the light plastic mesh ones sufficient?

Also, would it be OK to use shorter shelters and raise them up on the stake as the tree grows or would the sheep eat the base out from under it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I use those tubes to protect from rabbits hares and deers. The added benefit from them is that the encourage the trees to grow faster . So far it seems to work. I planted 600 trees and know first hand the expense.

In relation to sheep though, your main issue ( especially with Rams) is them butting the trees and knocking them over. You will need 2 stakes per tube to try to prevent that.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Which ones in particular? Cos €2 per tree for the standard tube (at least) is quite an outlay when I paid less than 50c per tree(whip).
    Any recommendations for rolls of mesh that would work?

I'm not sure sheep would butt tiny whips tbh. I'm more worried about them eating the things to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

You can get spiral guards. I used them before I swapped to tubes. When the saplings get to a certain height I will swap then back to spiral guards.

They have them up to 1 metre.
    https://futureforests.ie/products/rabbit-spiral-guards

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭blackbox

I use wire mesh to protect from deer. It's ok for a handful of fruit trees but it would be far too much work for hundreds of trees.

Advertisement