Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new windows - reveals already insulated

Options
  • 26-11-2020 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

I hope to install new PVC windows in the new year. We insulated the walls with insulated plasterboard a few years ago and the window reveals were done also.

Has anyone had windows replaced in similar circumstances? Did they cut a strip of the insulated plasterboard on the reveals to remove the old windows and replace it with same?

I'm interested in people's experiences before I make enquiries.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

They shouldn’t have to remove the reveals at all. They will more than likely need to cut in a bit for the new windows and to allow for foam and patching but the new reveal shouldn’t need to be stripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Who2 wrote: »
    They shouldn’t have to remove the reveals at all. They will more than likely need to cut in a bit for the new windows and to allow for foam and patching but the new reveal shouldn’t need to be stripped off.

I had this done on one window a while back and it looks really really bad, both inside and out. Its a savage looking job.
    OP why are they being replaced, have you explored just getting the glass upgraded.

Unless they are SG and in poor condition, no reason to remove the frames, payback will be 100 years +

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I had this done on one window a while back and it looks really really bad, both inside and out. Its a savage looking job.
    OP why are they being replaced, have you explored just getting the glass upgraded.

Unless they are SG and in poor condition, no reason to remove the frames, payback will be 100 years +

Frames are generally the weakest link? Payback should always be considered along with comfort and thermal bridging(condensation points) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Southern Comfort

Who2 wrote: »

Any time I had windows replaced in the past, the reveals had to be plastered afterwards...........

What exactly happened in your case?

I enquired some time ago about just replacing the glass units and the rep said it wouldn't cost a whole lot more to replace the windows, frame and all. (Probably sales talk.....)

He also said that I should replace them with triple glazed ones. I would do that if I was going for full replacement but they are south facing and the glass units are 24mm. I'd be very happy with new new 24mm glass units with argon and low-e.

Unfortunately, one window will have to be done. It's in a north facing bedroom and is double glazed in name only...... The glass unit is only about 14mm (4-6-4) and condersation is a huge problem with it.

I presume I'd be wasting my time replacing just the glass in that window.......(?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Theres more to life than euro payback times.

A warm, comfortable home has its own benefits.

BryanF wrote: »
    Frames are generally the weakest link? Payback should always be considered along with comfort and thermal bridging(condensation points) etc

The window frames and centre bars are very solid and never feel cold like the glass units. (I had aluminium double glazed windows in another house and the frames always felt colder than the glass and were always covered in condensation during cold weather).

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Theres more to life than euro payback times.

A warm, comfortable home has its own benefits.

Yes there is, such as Cvid and Brexit:D

The point I am making is that moving the U value from say 4.8 to 0.8 is worth while, but perhaps not if only from 2 to 1.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I did some measuring and it appears that the glass units in the north facing bedroom are 18mm (4-10-4).

Has anyone got an idea of what glass U- value I'd have if I replaced the units with 18mm ones filled with argon and with low-e glass?

• Advertisement
Advertisement