Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used tissue and kitchen roll

Options
  • 06-03-2019 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone help with which bin these go in? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Acey10 wrote: »

General Waste

• Registered Users Posts: 7,233 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Can be composted - brown bin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Or in your compost pile at home. Worms and woodlice will happily munch soft paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Thanks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Brown

No

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Use them to start the fire when you're burning the plastic.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

TCM wrote: »
    No

Where do go then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Where do go then

They DO go in brown bin: with food scraps, leaves, etc: they are bio-degradable.

TCM is incorrect, (or just teasing)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brown bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,421 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Depends what you were doing with them. Dirty with biodegradable stuff, then compost bin. Cleaning with harsh chemicals or using to wipe something like car oil then waste bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Are you asking (and are the answers about) the paper or the cardboard insert?

MOTM wrote: »
    Are you asking (and are the answers about) the paper or the cardboard insert?

Hey i was talking about the used part that's dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

Hey i was talking about the used part that's dirty?

I've been composting this without an issue. Anyone have views on recyclability of the insert? Or compostability?

It's just cardboard so either is probably fine, depending on your waste company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Cardboard that is stained with food should also go in brown bin if one has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Cardboard that is stained with food should also go in brown bin if one has one.

Does that include things like pizza boxes??

General note, it really frustrates me how hard it is to clarify what goes in what bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

crisco10 wrote: »
    Does that include things like pizza boxes??

General note, it really frustrates me how hard it is to clarify what goes in what bin.

It does indeed.

Likes of pizza boxes that are soiled such as still covered in food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC a lot of tissue is made with recycled fibres, so they are too short to be used again so even if clean they gone into the brown bin.

The cardboard tube goes into the green bin.

The plastic wrapping probably goes into the black bin depending on who you recycle with.

IIRC a lot of tissue is made with recycled fibres, so they are too short to be used again so even if clean they gone into the brown bin.
    Fair point. I presume you mean compost bin here? Not all waste companies around the country use the same colour identifiers. My waste, compast, and glass bins are green and recycling is red.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Depends what your kitchen "paper" is made from. Some of the very heavy duty paper contains plastic! Some of them are practically a roll of J Cloths.
    Simple kitchen paper is biodegradable as it's just paper.

We need "COMPOSTABLE" labelling. People can't really be expected to know what exactly package and other materials are made from.

Advertisement