Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plans to make cycle helmets compulsory in the North.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

"Rushed to A&E". Very vague. How many needed treatment, or an overnight stay? How many had life-changing injuries? How many even had head injuries, rather than, say, a broken arm?

The key groups he has consulted with seem to be Headway and Headway alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

i dont think it should become law for adults. But under 16s I would agree with

I all the studies in the world would not stop me wearing mine in Dublin traffic.

If your head was to go through a windscreen , Its a nobrainer that one would be safer with a helmet. With out it your skull would crack like an egg.

I hear some silly helmet comments all the time on motorcycle forums. Lads who believe that helmets can do more harm than good. I wonder what type of drugs they are on... mine saved my skin more than once. Arai's best

If something like this was to be made law, then higher helmet standards would become compulsory as well. I can see lots of flaws in most cycle helmet design which could be improved to protect the neck better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

gsxr1 wrote: »
    If your head was to go through a windscreen , Its a nobrainer that one would be safer with a helmet. With out it your skull would crack like an egg.

It's not a "no brainer" that your skull would crack like an egg. Your skull is resilient enough to remain intact upon impact with a windshield. The damage in car crashes is done by the brain going from 50mph to a sudden stop upon contact with the windshield and bouncing around inside an intact skull. A fractured skull would probably be preferable as it would take some of the impact. In any case, the windscreen argument is more justification for wearing helmets in cars than on bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Stark wrote: »
    .......... In any case, the windscreen argument is more justification for wearing helmets in cars than on bikes.

Hardly, when one is already obliged to wear seat-belts, thereby negating the possibility of ever hitting the windscreen with one's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Gophur wrote: »
    Hardly, when one is already obliged to wear seat-belts, thereby negating the possibility of ever hitting the windscreen with one's head.

More generally, and from the article linked to by tomasrojo:
    Ms Abbott's success in court delighted Bill Curnow of the Cyclists Rights Action Group. In several peer-reviewed publications he has argued there has been no reduction in brain injury levels due to helmet laws.

Why force cyclists to wear helmets when politicians ignored a 1998 report from the Federal Office of Road Safety that showed brain injury rates among motorists would be cut by up to 25 per cent, even where airbags were fitted, if drivers wore bicycle helmets, he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Car accidents are rarely head-on incidents with all forces moving in one plane. A seat belt primarily takes control of forward movements, but you still have 2 other axes - up and sideways - through which the driver has a lot more movement. Ever bang your head off the roof getting in/out of a car? Now do it at 50km/h and see if it hurts even more.

1998 report from the Federal Office of Road Safety that showed brain injury rates among motorists would be cut by up to 25 per cent, even where airbags were fitted, if drivers wore bicycle helmets, he said.

So, car drivers should wear helmets to reduce injury?

(but cyclists should not wear them, to reduce injury? )

Let each responsible adult choose their own protection, but how helmets could be anything other than a safety measure is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

He didn't say that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Let each responsible adult choose their own protection,

It's contradictory to wear a helmet in one case (cycling) and not to wear one in another (in a car) when the benefits are just as proven (ie not that well proven, and very small at that).

but how helmets could be anything other than a safety measure is ridiculous.

There's a number of ways helmets can increase injury (ie increase rotation) or increase the chances of injury (your head plus a helmet is a larger target).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Not something I'd advocate drivers should do, and certainly not something they should be compelled to do, but if they were to wear helmets then there would be a benefit, it seems (and presumably even in situations where they were wearing a seatbelt).
    I do wear one. I also disagree with compulsion.
    Let each responsible adult choose their own protection,
    Up to a point, yes, and cycle helmets is one area where, I agree, individual choice does make sense. But then I'm less sure that that applies to seatbelts, for example.
    but how helmets could be anything other than a safety measure is ridiculous.
    There is a concern that they aggravate rotational injuries and so could make matters worse. In that situation it is far from ridiculous to say that a helmet is not working as a safety measure. There seems also to be some uncertainty around the impact of helmet wearing on the risk of being involved in an accident because of modified behaviour by the cyclist or other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

how helmets could be anything other than a safety measure is ridiculous.

Helmets protect your skull from damage (so long as the forces involved are relatively low and generally not life threatening anyway since a helmet is relatively fragile), this is fact, this is what headway and the like base their arguments on. The skull gives shape to the head and is one of a number of biological features that play a role in protecting the brain from damage. The second line of defence are the meninges (dura mater, pia mater and arachnoid mater. The meninges have a number of functions but one of the most important ones is to protect the brain from rotational injuries by acting as a flexible and shock absorbing membrane (unlike a helmet which is just a block of plastic). Sadly, the good work of the dura mater and co can be under-mined if the rotational forces are increased beyond their capacity to cope, basic physics tells us that a good way to do this is to add some sort of lever to the head, a helmet, which adds several inches to the head proves to be a very effective lever in certain crash situations (especially when worn incorrectly on the back of the head as is often the case with kids who just through a helmet on because someone's making them). As such a helmet can do nothing to prevent and may indeed exacerbate rotational brain injuries and problems such as subdural and epidural hematoma.
    Apart from increasing the risk of serious brain injury which may result in life-long disability or death a helmet may also prevent detection of such injuries until it is much too late. This is because if (and this is a seriously debatable if) a helmet does its job and protects the skull and skin from superficial gashes and bruises the wearer may conclude that they have walked away from the accident unscathed and decide not to go to the doctor to see if there's any internal bleeding which could potentially kill them. If you don't believe that such serious brain damage could go un-noticed like that then why not sit in on a first year psychology lecture in your local university and get yourself an informed opinion on the role helmets play.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

There's also the point that motorists and passengers could wear helmets of far higher standards than are suitable for use while cycling. Motorbike like helmets are too heavy and restrict the ability of a cyclist look behind them (ie one of the most important things I cyclist needs to do), but the same can't be said of motorists and certainly not passengers.

As with others, I'm not suggesting that motorists should wear helmets, but there's a huge question mark* here as to why people think cyclists should wear helmets and others including motorists or those walking should not when the risks are equal or higher with the latter two.

* Ok, it's not that much of a question mark, people think cycling is more dangerous than it is. The reality is cycling's risks are low and the risks of commuting are outweighed by the health benefits. It's also the case that people are willing to buy a helmet and high-zis but never read up about cycling in traffic or get cycling training.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭billaustin

i think it should be law to wear a helmet in public. I had never thought much about this until I was in an accident two weeks ago and cannoned offf the bonnet of a car as it pulled out on me as i was doing about 30km/h. My helmet really saved me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

billaustin wrote: »
    i think it should be law to wear a helmet in public. I had never thought much about this until I was in an accident two weeks ago and cannoned offf the bonnet of a car as it pulled out on me as i was doing about 30km/h. My helmet really saved me.

So you want a law to save us from your inability to avoid an accident?

Thanks, very considerate of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

There is a BBC Radio 4 programme called More or Less that discusses the way that we use numbers and statistics. It is usually an interesting programme that deals well with the topics that it covers. Last Friday's edition included the topic of whether it is really safer to wear a helmet when cycling. The cycling bit starts 12m40s with a talk about the "Boris Bikes" but the real discussion of helmet safety starts around 14m39s in. They interview Ian Walker about his study, and also talk to Angela Lee of Bike Helmet Initiative Trust who is there to provide the pro-helmet argument.

It's not as informative as I would have expected/hoped, completely ignoring any discussion about risks that the helmet itself may pose for a start, but there are some interesting bits of info in there such as the fact that hospital statistics don't record whether injured cyclists were wearing helmets (a known issue, but one worth repeating when statistics start to be thrown about as incontrovertible evidence in favour of helmet usage).

For all its failings, the report does sum up the issue well, in my view, stating that there is no strong evidence either for or against wearing helmets so it is up to everyone to decide for themselves whether to wear a helmet or not.

It does seem the rotational argument is just being used as an excuse to not wear a helmet.

Common sense should tell one to wear what is appropriate to minimise injury. No helmet will do if you are clattered by a truck, just like no seat belt will save you if you go 100mph into a wall in your car.

As for telling a cyclist to not wear a helmet because you may hit your head so hard a rotational injury will damage you? One has to wonder the effect such an impact would have on the un-helmeted head.

As for telling a cyclist to not wear a helmet because you may hit your head so hard a rotational injury will damage you? One has to wonder the effect such an impact would have on the un-helmeted head.

Less. Due to the smaller effective diameter of the unhelmeted head.

Less. Due to the smaller effective diameter of the unhelmeted head.

Less rotational damage, you mean?

But more impact damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Common sense should tell one to wear what is appropriate to minimise injury. No helmet will do if you are clattered by a truck, just like no seat belt will save you if you go 100mph into a wall in your car.
    Would a sumo wrestler suit not minimise things like road rash? Do you cycle in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It does seem the rotational argument is just being used as an excuse to not wear a helmet.

"Common sense" is not necessarily a good guide.

I suffered both whiplash and a brain haemorrage in a high speed unhelmeted car crash a few years ago. The brain haemorrage sorted itself out in a couple of hours, the whiplash took many months of physical therapy to overcome and still troubles me now.

If I'd been wearing a helmet, does "common sense" tell you that I'd have been better or worse off? I honestly have no idea.

Human beings have evolved to be pretty injury-resistant. If you go screwing with one part of the system in isolation, you may get unexpected consequences. There is a reason that race car drivers wear HANS devices - spinal injuries are really bad news.

• Advertisement

Blowfish wrote: »
    Would a sumo wrestler suit not minimise things like road rash? Do you cycle in one?

How about you check the first two words of my post you quoted?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My helmet really saved me.

Are you sure/have proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Gophur wrote:

Many years back someone went over their bars right in front of me while we were riding off-road in a rocky area. He landed on his mouth leaving him with a burst lip and several loose teeth, though luckily nothing more serious. He was wearing a helmet at the time but it could do nothing to prevent his injuries. There are many examples of crashes where helmets don't actually help at all, whatever about cases where they actually hinder.

That isn't to say that you shouldn't wear a helmet, or that they don't help in some situations, but it simply highlights the fact that sometimes people put too much emphasis on wearing a helmet and almost seem to expect it to do miraculous things when in reality all it can really do is absorb some of the impact force in some types of crash.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As for telling a cyclist to not wear a helmet ...

Where in this thread has anyone told cyclists to not wear a helmet?

The only advocates of compulsion in this thread are those (who are definitely in the minority) who say you must wear a helmet!

I always wear a helmet - that is my choice. Other cyclists are perfectly at liberty to wear, or not wear, one as they see fit.

I've given up on a helmet after reading this thread, just e-mailed CRC and wiggle to see will they be getting one of those fancy full body armour kits in, in the near future, think they are from Stark Industries, not sure.

iron-man-pose2.jpg

Front lights and batteries included

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Too right. It could save your life if you fell off the bike and were impaled through the heart.

My helmet really saved me.

Could you perhaps explain how your helmet saved you, what it saved you from and how you know this? Could you also perhaps share with us your credentials as regards brain injury and crash assessment because whatever thorough research you've obviously been doing is going to be of great interest to the academic community at large.
    Once you've settled all that could you explain how all this relates to a need for a mandatory helmet law? Since the facts clearly show that even if helmets are genuinely helpful in an accident they still result in a higher proportion of cyclist deaths as many people will inevitably give up cycling in favour of sitting in their cars and waiting for cardiac arrest to take them.

more impact damage.

Thing is, we can fix impact damage (up to a point) with stitches and plasters and the like. Internal bleeding in the brain from rotational brain injuries and the like can be treated by funeral arrangements at worst and by teaching people to live a new life with impaired brain functions in various areas at the lighter end of the scale.
    This is not to say that all rotational brain injuries are catastrophic but if I had the choice I'd choose exterior rather than interior bleeding any day.

I'd also like to state that I'm not saying helmets will always cause such injuries (I don't think any serious academic would stand behind such sweeping generalisations) so I'm not saying avoid helmets at all costs (that issue is still up in the air) but do wait until we fully understand the risks and benefits (if any) before legislation is introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Stark wrote: »
    It's not a "no brainer" that your skull would crack like an egg. Your skull is resilient enough to remain intact upon impact with a windshield. The damage in car crashes is done by the brain going from 50mph to a sudden stop upon contact with the windshield and bouncing around inside an intact skull. A fractured skull would probably be preferable as it would take some of the impact. In any case, the windscreen argument is more justification for wearing helmets in cars than on bikes.

In a proper helmet there is the outer shell. the hard bit. But the inside is lined the a proper man made shock absorbent martial which compresses in the event of impact. This cushion can be the lifesaver. This subject has been done to death on other forums with overwhelming proof that in a 25mph impact your chance of survival is greatly increased with a lid...

any dangerous sport involves armor. From cycling to skydiving.

You head is so vulnerable and fragile that it just seems like common scene to protect it.
    Your hair anit going to save ya.

I dont understand your statement about wearing them in a car.

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »
    You head is so vulnerable and fragile that it just seems like common scene to protect it.
    Your hair anit going to save ya.

Incorrect ( I even have an example):

http://www.kctv5.com/news/18750792/detail.html

QED

Advertisement