Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 24: Chilli!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've had a go at this but because I'm difficult, I just can never follow a recipe to the letter. (I actually make a lot of the cooking club recipes, but end up tweaking all the time hence I don't post because I don't want people to think I'm taking the piss out of their recipe.

Without wishing to derail this thread, I don't have a problem with that. I was going to quote this in the schedule thread for general feedback, but wasn't sure if it should go there. Tweak away and let us know as far as I'm concerned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

need a little advice before I start. The dried chilies I got are ancho. they are quite large, do you still recommend 4 of these ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Thought here would be a good place to get an answer for this and hopefully no one minds, what restaurants would people recommend to get good chili in Dublin?

El Paso in Howth had fantastic Chilli - it's now closed though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

foodaholic wrote: »
    need a little advice before I start. The dried chilies I got are ancho. they are quite large, do you still recommend 4 of these ???
    Yup. Ancho chillis are always a bit large, but they're quite mild and full of flavour (as opposed to chillis with a lot of heat and not much else).

So yeah got to make the chilli !!!
    and what a big pot of it it is, I cooked it in a slow cooker till the meat was tender (note bean must be pre-soaked for this). The black beans are a must

It got the thumbs up from the OH, I will add more chillies next time for a bit more of a kick.

2upxqw2.jpg

1exdop.jpg

Quick question, has anyone thought of or tried adding some dark chocolate near the end of cooking. Its used quite a lot in mexican cooking.

Thanks Sparks

• Advertisement

I've tried the dark chocolate thing myself foodaholic, but to be honest, it's not to my taste. Which isn't surprising really, I don't get as worked up over Mole as some others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Got home to find my f&b jar of whatchamacallit in adobe had a popped top so it's been opened...
    it smells ok..
    and i really want to make chili...
    so I used it :P

fingers crossed I dont die :)

Given that the stuff is basicly chilli and salt and vinegar, I think it might be okay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

foodaholic, that's some mighty fine chilli you gotcha there!

My homemade adobe is cooling its heels in the fridge, itching to be used in the very near future...
    kerash wrote: »
    Got home to find my f&b jar of whatchamacallit in adobe had a popped top so it's been opened...
    it smells ok..
    and i really want to make chili...
    so I used it :P

fingers crossed I dont die :)

Say, kerash, if you like it maybe you could design some sort of adobe cake, too! :D

little alex, I think I will be eating it for a while, but have made guacamole so will be having tortillas tomorrow, and nachos the day after.

Might have to add a bit more fennel seeds next time if you know what I mean;)

• Advertisement

I too made this again!

I got the chillis in ALDI this time. They sell a lovely little punnet with a selection of four or five different types in it.

Just one more thing... Columbo, as in Detective Lieutenant Columbo, often stops by at a place called Burt's Beanery (which is a real place, as it happens) and orders a bowl of chilli. He then proceeds to crumble some crackers - I assume Saltine Crackers or whatever Cream Crackers are called in America - over the chilli and in one episode even proclaims "it's the crackers that make the dish".

Anyway, I tried it out, instead of sour cream, and it wasn't bad at all, oddly enough! I mean no disrespect to The Almighty Chilli Pot! :D

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7068
    little alex, I think I will be eating it for a while, but have made guacamole so will be having tortillas tomorrow, and nachos the day after.

Might have to add a bit more fennel seeds next time if you know what I mean;)

:) Yep, I've got a good few servings to get through myself!

This is what I made with the last half bowl of this stuff, thanks to Des' past(r)y recipe:

picture.php?albumid=1161&pictureid=7075

Chillish pasty and chilli brulee. :)

Don't take it too badly, Sparks! :pac:

how did you make the chilli brulee ?? looks great.
    your folding technique is looking good on the pasties ;)

how did you make the chilli brulee ?? looks great.
    your folding technique is looking good on the pasties ;)

Thanks, foodaholic!

The chilli brulee was a bit of a joke. I had a tiny bit of the chilli left and put it in a ramekin. I also kept a little bit of the butter and flour "breadcrumbs" (check Des' recipe) and used that as the topping. After it baked I sprinkled a tiny bit of sugar on top and scorched it with my little creme brulee torch thing.

Now the pasty... that is two great recipes combined into one! :D

Yeah, I'm happy with the folding of it. I actually made a couple of pasties last week but didn't get the folding of them quite right. What worked for me was not to roll too thin and for the pastry to be cold... so mix the pastry and put in the fridge, roll it out and put back in the fridge (for five minutes or so)... and then fill and wrap. This ensures that it is sufficiently "robust" and won't rip. This pasty here also leaked very little.

Here's a YouTube clip that I found useful:

Gotta love YouTube! :)

Next time I'm going to try Mr. Magnolia's fancy "top fold method". :D

thanks little alex. you put mine to shame, must get practicing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure if they'd be any use to anyone, but my local lidl had little packs of dried habanero, birds eye and chipotle chilli's yesterday.

i got a few packs to try out, so i'll let everyone know how they go. :)

still haven't made this chilli yet, but i'm stll on the lookout for the black beans so i can do a proper job of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Made this tonight, so different to my normal chilli.
    It went down a bomb.
    043.jpg

Glad you liked it Loopy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made a double batch of this a couple of weeks ago and used these:
    ZVboC.jpg
    instead of the chillis from F&B's. Just as good and half the price from Hugo's Cafe Azteca up around Christ Church.

I'm a bit strung out on the chipotle chilis now after trying them in the recipe... found this in M&S:
    Ojwnu.jpg
    Lovely stuff... I'd say you'd like it Sparks!

Just as good and half the price from Hugo's Cafe Azteca up around Christ Church.
    Brilliant - the more sources, the more chilli :D
    this in M&S:
    Ojwnu.jpg
    Lovely stuff... I'd say you'd like it Sparks!
    I've not tried it - but I've got three jars of their chipotle salsa in the fridge at the moment :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Just seen this recipe for chilli: http://www.maggiecubbler.com/10/2010/food/569/

Next time I'm going to use Sparks recipe but sub Guinness for the beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Just realized I hadn't posted an update since I bought the adobo chillis. I've cooked it several times now and been back to F&B a couple of times for replenishments. It's a great dish, I normally double the ingredients (at least!) as it freezes so well and is lovely in wraps with butterhead lettuce and natural yoghurt for lunch.

I'm looking forward to the pulled pork amoung a couple of CC recipes I've yet to try!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Although I have about 2 kilos of chili in the freezer I think I'll be making this as soon as I can :)

I'm not sure where to get the chipotle in adobo or the dried ancho chilis. Has anyone ordered these from the web or (Ponster?) bought them in a French chain supermarket? Back bacon is a bit tricky to come by also; I can never figure out what they do with that cut of meat here.

I've failed to find any class of a Mexican grocery here so I'm going to order what I can't get off the web.

I'm confused as to exactly how many different types of chilis are in there:

chipotle
    ancho
    jalapeno flakes
    new mexican - I don't know what those look like whole

I can get habanero and bird's eye fresh here and have jalapeno in a jar. I can get get chipotle in adobo and dried ancho on line.

Will the pickled jalapenos do instead of the flakes and what could substitute the new mexican ones?

I'll probably order from
    http://www.dos-mexicanas.com/mag/fr/list-180916.htm?mid=561
    http://www.dos-mexicanas.com/mag/fr/list-392522.htm?mid=561

if anyone can see what I need on there.

Hmm... just found a link on there to bricks and mortar shops that sell their producs and I was only standing in front of one of them earlier today. It was disguised as a Spanish restaurant, in my defence.

Avoid the habaneros. Unless you like the taste of liquid enamel, that is, and also have a large fridge stocked with toilet paper.

Ignore the jalapeno flakes if you can't find them.

In fact, if this is your first chilli, stick with the chipotle and the ancho chillis. The new mexicans are nice if you can find them (you won't find them fresh, but dried would be possible). Also avoid the birds-eye chillis, they're sneaky small potent things...

What size and potency are New Mexican chilis? The guajillos sound nice but I don't want to get them if they're completely the wrong flavour for this.

Big and mild. Stronger than jalapenos, but still mild. And not as sweet as anchos.

Gah, that shop didn't have any anchos or guajillos and the chipotles were way overpriced and now the website is out of stock. This had better be worth the wait :D

:D Well, you could try it with whatever fresh chillis you can get, the competition chillis are always done with dried powdered chillis rather than fresh chillis anyway (but I think you lose depth of flavour that way). It won't be as good as the recipe, but better to have okay chilli than to have no chilli at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sparks, so advice please
    I love chilli, never bother to make my own, but decided I will.

however, only making enough for two portions, and going to cut out a lot of the ingrediets (as I don't want to buyrandom stuff lying around as i'm travelling again soon)

So, sorry for making a bastardized version, but before I go shopping, care you make any changes if I'm about to do something hugely wrong
    Sparks wrote: »
    But at it's basic core, chilli is just a braised beef stew, flavoured with chillis, chilli powder, cumin and thyme.

Basuic, is the plan

smashed and chopped garlic
    chopped fresh chillis, jalepenos
    two chopped onions, considering pickling onion left whole, or halved
    chopped beef tossed in olive oil and sea salt.

rib steak mince. Yeah prob add a small bit, like the idea of chunks though
    pound of black beans. prob a bean mix, or red kidneys

ordinary beer,
    tomato puree (2 tbsp), ketchup will do right :D
    crushed torilla (no masa harina for me)

spices;
    dried thyme (2 tsp),
    paprika (1 tsp),
    cayenne pepper(1 tsp)
    cumin
    salt
    Thoughts.

Most likely serve as is, maybe with cream cheese instead of sour cream (its great with chilli imo), no torillas or chips etc

Advertisement