Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I'm not opposed to them putting they're belt on the main face of independent wrestling at the moment going into the biggest week of the wrestling calendar, but turning him heel when he's gonna be working face mania week and there's the very real possibility he gets a contract? Not seeing the logic there.

Aah, it just clicked, yes that is interesting......

Yeah what's also interesting is that since Progress is a WWE affiliate, they've put their title on someone holding the belt for a promotion that Tony Khan owns. Apparently Progress shows on Peacock have been cutting ROH/AEW people so what it means is that going forward Progress' title won't be seen on the Progress shows when you watch them which is strange.

Should also mention that some people are saying Khan owns all footage of the ROH title being defended which makes things even stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd say Vince couldn't give a flying one about Progress and would probably be delighted to get rid of them off the Network if and when he can. I doubt many watch it anyway. It was a HHH idea and all of those are being scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,704 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The lads who bought progress also bought TNT, who work closely with GCW, could this be the beginnings of a switch from being content creators for WWE to content creators for AEW?

Hbo max? In-house? Wwe network? What platform will I continue to not watch progress on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Meanwhile, at wwe.com

Big leagues indeed. 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

“I feel like there is a level of grit that is missing from today’s product.

I don’t know that it’s anybody’s fault, we all aged out and that new group has come up.”

- The Undertaker on WWE

(via True Geordie Podcast)

Yeah pretty much, not gonna watch Progress or anything but still interesting to see if it leads to anything.

Pretty sure this has been the case for a long time, he's still not listed as a current superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brandi Rhodes Cooks Up Deal With DIGA Studios To Take Reality Series To TV

Wrestler Brandi Rhodes has been hosting cooking show Shot of Brandi on YouTube for the last four years. Now, she’s looking to step up to television and has partnered with Scream and Teen Wolf producer DIGA Studios to achieve that.

Rhodes and DIGA are looking to turn the project, which sees her cook and chat with celebrities and in and out of the wrestling ring, into a half-hour television series. DIGA is currently taking the project out to broadcasters and streamers.

It comes as Rhodes and her husband Cody Rhodes recently left the All Elite Wresling league (AEW), which airs on TBS. The pair were also the stars of TNT reality series Rhodes To The Top.

Rhodes was also previously a ring announcer and backstage host for WWE and appeared on WAGS Atlanta.

It is the latest non-scripted series for DIGA Studios, the company run by former MTV programming chief Tony DiSanto. The producer makes series including Hot Ones: The Game Show for truTV and Discovery+’s Selling The Hamptons.

“I started shooting this show in my kitchen four years ago with two iPhone cameras and a cocktail,” said Rhodes. “I am excited to see the show evolve and thankful for the fans who have followed along.  I assure you, now that I’m working with DIGA the best is yet to come.”

“Brandi is an incredibly dynamic talent who just pops off the screen, and this genre busting concept she created is the perfect showcase for her electric personality,” added DiSanto, CEO of Allyance Media Group & DIGA Studios. “We are beyond excited to dive into this project with her and share some great food, drink, fun and a hell of a lot of laughs with viewers everywhere.”

Rhodes is represented by Hyperion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,339 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If he does come back he is going to have to be very careful no major bumps and risking his life

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd retire if I were him. Millions made, more or less everything achieved in wrestling and charismatic enough to land something outside of wrestling. He's a far braver man than me if he goes back wrestling. I'd be bricking it every time I took a bump with a neck injury like that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Yeah, retire, take the HOF ring, maybe do some guest hosting and commentary for a while to scratch the itch.

If there'll be a weakness there then he'd be absolutely reckless to go back. He's still a young enough guy he should protect his quality of life for the rest of his life. Be a manager or a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yup. He should retire. He won the world title, nxt title, intercontinental, raw tag, smackdown tag and money in the bank. But more importantly, as James Storm said to Bill Apter in an interview once: 'my bank manager doesn't care if I am world champion' (haha I love that line), so seeing as how Big E has been in WWE 13 years and on the main roster just over 11. He is a millionaire that's what matters the most.

He had this brush with what can happen so retire a rich man who can walk and get around. We all know what happened to poor Droz and he never had a fraction of what Big E got.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Can only imagine what Ridge Holland must be thinking reading Big E's tweet. I know i'd feel like sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It'd be normal for Ridge to be beating himself up but at the end of the day, he didn't put himself in the position. Just look at all the botches currently happening on a weekly basis on 2.0 because of their "shift" in mentality.

Big E could be a spokesperson like Titus for WWE, he is very likeable or as a commentator interviewer etc., health is the most important, New Day are mega over and big merc sellers, could any newbies fit in for ND V2?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know you mentioned nxt 2.0 but I’m going to broaden it out to Modern wrestling as a whole and why I’m finding myself enjoying it as a whole less and less and why I’m watching more classic wrestling. I really don’t understand why modern wrestlers(both male and female) feel the need to take unnecessary risks on the inside and outside the ring. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, and the quote attributed to dusty Rhodes which is spot on imo “ don’t do **** you don’t know how to do.” Yes, modern wrestlers are on the whole far more athletic and that’s great, but can they not find a safer way to show it off than doing stupid risky bump ?

I mean in decades past wrestlers had pain medication addictions and died from them, and I worry that modern wrestlers will suffer for spinal injuries due to trying to one up themselves.

And death match wrestling can get up the yard as far as I’m concerned.And as a big a fan as I am of both terry funk and Mike foley, they share some of the blame for doing the hardcore stuff and taking risks.

I realise this makes me sound boring to some and if it does then fair enough but I can’t suspend my disbelief as much because I can’t buy into the matches as much because I’m worried someone will get hurt. There is a way to use the logic and storytelling of wrestling past, without hurting yourself. I'll stop shouting at the clouds now.

That's why current Impact and early days of NWA Powerr are/were peak modern day wrestling for me. Simple, entertaining, stuff and no one gets hurt doing it.

I actually have no idea what happened to Powerr, it's a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I really don’t understand why modern wrestlers(both male and female) feel the need to take unnecessary risks on the inside and outside the ring.

A lot of "marks" in the ring playing to the uber-niche wrestling intelligentsia. For example, after Baker and Rosa's lights out match last year Baker is seen saying "Maybe Meltzer will like it? 5 stars, lets fúcking do it." as they pick tacks out of her back while she yelps with pain.

And then when she doesn't get the 5 stars, she says; "He’s such a shíthead. 4.75 Dave I mean come on! What do I have to cut my leg off for the extra? But it’s OK we’ll give it another go another time.”

If I was a wrestler, I'd be trying to do a Miz on it. Don't get injured, don't injure anyone, make millions. I'd also refuse to ever do a spot with the ring apron.

All I know is that the likes of Balor and O'Reilly putting a "banger" on where they legitimately hurt each other does nothing for me, but I don't necessarily blame them. It's down to a combination of kayfabe dying and the redundancy of having the likes of Lesnar on top for such a long time, that these lads feel the need to justify themselves.

Maybe Meltzer will like it? 5 stars, lets fúcking do it."

Jesus yeah I remember hearing that and thinking “how about you have a match that you like first and foremost.” That rating system might have started out with good intentions but now it’s a completion. How about we go back to either you like a match or not. I mean we are all watching wrestling long enough to know whether we like a match or not and a star rating shouldn’t be a gauge of it.

if I’m worried wrestlers will get hurt then it instantly takes me out of the match. I want a wrestling match to tell a good story and for the competitors in the match to make me believe the story through the match. It’s why I can’t get into Sasha banks matches any more because I’m worried she’ll get hurt.

Nxt is supposed to be a training school for these guys and girls yet really does not seem to be doing a good job at training them how to professional wrestle

Mickie james is the latest wrestler to join the gcw bandwagon she will take on allie katch at spring break 6 over maina weekend

"I think right now everything that Vince and Bruce Prichard are putting out there is absolutely incredible. I love it. I love NXT 2.0. I love Raw, I love SmackDown, I love what Roman's doing. I think Roman's putting out some great work"

-MJF via the Ariel Helwani show

He was doing fine until he said NXT 2.0 was "full of charisma machines". I like how he does his interviews in character.

MJF keeping nice in case WWE want him and offer a good deal in the future

• Advertisement

Advertisement