Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 30/10 (Usyk-Chisora, Santa Cruz-Davis, Inoue-Maloney, Munguia-Johnson)

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I can’t believe some of the things I’m reading here. I’d pick Wlad to ko usyk in 6 the way he is. Bellew himself said that if he fought aj he’d end up on a slab. Usyk has had two HW fights now and hasn’t looked convincing in either. I can see him making a good account of himself and bamboozling wilder certainly and would give fury an interesting fight but I feel that aj is just all wrong for him. Very quick ko.

Well Bellew is a total Sky/Matchroom shill so I'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. He also thinks Joshua will KO Fury within 4 rounds.

Talking of Sky/Matchroom shills..

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/981127368591970305?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Morrison J wrote: »
    Did he? How?

He jabbed for a few rounds, threw the kitchen sink at him, failed to get him out of there, gassed horrendously, got dropped and then got extremely lucky that Wlad let him off the hook by not putting it on him when he was there for the taking. Joshua got very lucky that night and has fought far more cautiously since as a result.

Yes he did. He did what many other of Wlad's opponents failed to do.
    Wlad did not let him off the hook, he was unable to finish him. Joshua, despite being badly buzzed, was able to slip his follow up punches. A lot of boxers would not have gotten up from that punch. Wlad even admitted he thought the fight was over after he landed it. I'm not Joshua's greatest fan, but he deserves a lot of credit for his performance that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Yes he did. He did what many other of Wlad's opponents failed to do.
    Wlad did not let him off the hook, he was unable to finish him. Joshua, despite being badly buzzed, was able to slip his follow up punches. A lot of boxers would not have gotten up from that punch. Wlad even admitted he thought the fight was over after he landed it. I'm not Joshua's greatest fan, but he deserves a lot of credit for his performance that night.
    I think he showed heart in spades alright. Deserves loads of credit for that. I just don't think he really showed much in terms of ring IQ that night. He wouldn't go all guns blazing in the 5th round if he had fought Wlad again. He'd have fought a completely different fight which says a lot about his ring IQ in that fight really.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I think he showed heart in spades alright. Deserves loads of credit for that. I just don't think he really showed much in terms of ring IQ that night. He wouldn't go all guns blazing in the 5th round if he had fought Wlad again. He'd have fought a completely different fight which says a lot about his ring IQ in that fight really.

He fought well enough in my view. He didn't allow Wlad to dictate with his jab. He showed his boxing iq in not allowing Wlad to dicatate the fight as he so often does. Every fighter will do certain things differently looking back on a fight, but Joshua showed temperament and determination when it really mattered. He did not panic after he was seriously hurt, he had the composure, but more importantly the skills to survive that dangerous period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Against Wlad aj showed great grit to hang in there and it should be noted that he all but had the fight finished in the 4th (?) himself. From there on I feel that Wlad lost it more than aj won it but that’s splitting hairs. I don’t want to go into the debate again of who’s performance against Wlad was best but just to antagonise I’ll say I still think Fury controlled that fight much better and fought a much less beatable Wlad. Both did very well.

On Bellew that is true but he said that when he was making his way into HW division. When he was calling out Fury at 26 stones. Johnny is a useful lad. It’s a bit like the English soccer players being ‘clever’ while the foreigners are diving cheats ruining our game looking for penalties. Commentators are sickening. I think the Americans are so much more stomachable and they’re not easy to have either. All so robotic and stat driven, might as well have google commentate along with translate... which, as a Gaeilgeoir, is dreadful!

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    I don’t want to go into the debate again of who’s performance against Wlad was best but just to antagonise I’ll say I still think Fury controlled that fight much better and fought a much less beatable Wlad. Both did very well.

!

Yes, I would agree Fury's performance was more accomplished. If, like Walshb, you prefer the style of someone like Toney, then it was hard to watch and boring, but for me the way Fury bewildered a long reigning champion in his backyard was mightily impressive. Wlad ended up being hesistant to throw for fear of missing and being punished. As you say Wlad was at his peak then too. There is a strong case to be made that Wlad was slightly past his peak by the time he fought Joshua. However, he was still a formidable foe for Joshua at that stage. I thought he would still have too much for Joshua.

Advertisement