Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXEL NSA310 1-Bay NAS Media Server (With 500GB HDD) - €90.37 delivered [Dabs.ie]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

unfortunately yes!i'l keep tampering with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

You may need to login to the admin section, Applications > Media Server > Enable Media Server > Home Screen and DLNA/UPnP Media Players. Mine was set to Home Screen Only initially.

Thanks that worked :)

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Anyone updated to the new firmware and managed to get dropbox working? I can't see how to configure it

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Anyone updated to the new firmware and managed to get dropbox working? I can't see how to configure it

Updated allright but now can't get polkast to function properly. Had to reinstall it and it says its online but my phone or tablet are both saying its offline.

Don't know if its related to update but the cpu usage is now at 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Only got my hard drive for this now! It's up and running, all green lights etc. It shows up on my router client list, and I can ping it successfully.

Problem is that the ZyXel NAS Starter Utility doesn't show it so I can't do anything with it :( Anybody have a similar problem? Any tips?

EDIT: i've logged in and am setting up by typing the IP address into google chrome.... do I need to run the NSA initialization thing?

EDIT 2: Have hard drive plugged in to the USB on NAS and am copying files over manually... transfer is 612 kb/s... this slow for everyone? Network isn't great as it's with power lines adapters on extensions for the min but thought that if it's plugged directly into the NAS this shouldn't affect things(NAS attached directly to router)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 neilpost

Chet T16 wrote: »

It's actually quite easy once the penny droips.

- Go to the dropbox part on the Zyxel
    - On config it runs a pop-up, which needs approved and once done a NAS is self-registered with Dropbox.
    - You get a new DROP2NAS folder in dropbox which immediately syncs. It has a 'NAS Token', which I guess self authenticates.

It's a nice alternative to Synology's Cloudstation, but fundamentally limited by Free Dropbox allowances. with increasing pressures in the market (SkyDrive/GoogleDrive etc), I think Dropbox will move on allowances, or have to be absorbed by others - like Facebook or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I want to access files on my NSA310 via a USB cable rather than WIFI. Has anybody tried this?

The cable is about 13 Euro. I thought I should ask before buying.

My DVD player has a USB input that I use to watch DIVX movies. I would like to connect the DVD player USB to the NSA310 USB using one of these and browse/select movies.

Don't know about using it with a usb cable to rj45 cable, somebody esle will prob tell you.

But a large hard drive is very unlikely to work with your DVD player for a start. USB sticks work fine but when you put in a hard drive it won't read it. Not sure exactly what this is due to, some limitation in the DVD player hardware I assume.... so try a large hard drive in your dvd player for a start! Again somebody else will have a better technical explanation!

Thanks mp3ireland2. It would be usb to usb.

If you plug the nsa310 to a PC usb->usb does it show up on the PC like an external drive?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Thanks mp3ireland2. It would be usb to usb.

If you plug the nsa310 to a PC usb->usb does it show up on the PC like an external drive?

No not at all..... it's a network drive so needs to be plugged into a rj45 or whatever that connection is. I thought you were using an rj45 to usb cable... which I have no idea if it would work.... but it def won't work with that USB. that usb is for connecting peripheral devices to the server, not for connecting the server to a computer or anything....

• Advertisement

No not at all..... it's a network drive so needs to be plugged into a rj45 or whatever that connection is. I thought you were using an rj45 to usb cable... which I have no idea if it would work.... but it def won't work with that USB. that usb is for connecting peripheral devices to the server, not for connecting the server to a computer or anything....

Thanks mp3ireland2. I guess what I should be looking at is a DLNA-compliant media player that I can connect up to my old CRT TV.

Has anybody done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Anyone know where i can find one of these? Dabs.ie don't have them anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

n97 mini wrote: »
    See, with real fault tolerance the need for backups is greatly reduced. All my important stuff is on my RAID 1 box.

Let hope no one steals that box then...

Is anyone here using one of these with XMBC? I can't get it to work with the raspberry pi version. It shows up as a UNPNP device and I can see the root directory but if I try to open the music, video or pictures folder I get a "working" symbol in the bottom right hand corner as if it's loading up.. but then after 10-20 seconds the working disappears and it doens't open anything.....I can open the folders on raspbien file browser. Don't know if its a pi specific issue or if it's to do with XMBC in general....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am using it fine with XBMC on my Apple TV..

Have an order it for a Raspberry Pi but not expecting it for a few weeks, so can't help you out there unfortunately.

Basq wrote: »

Have an order it for a Raspberry Pi but not expecting it for a few weeks, so can't help you out there unfortunately.

ah right ok cool thanks... I'll look/ask around pi forums so as it must be pi specific!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Any sign of the Zyxel NSA310 online for a good price?

Can only find it on dabs for €85 + Delivery! :eek:

£50 without a HDD from Amazon? (buy from 'More Buying Choices' on right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for that... didnt spot the other options!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭J@yK@y

£50 seems like a good price.
    Although I would need a hard drive too and a 2Tb seems to be the best value at about £80 (1tb seem to be £60) - this takes me up to about €165. Would I be better off going for the NSA310 with 2Tb price from Dabs.ie for €163.73

Or maybe the 1Tb version at €117 is a better deal

Any opinions? or recommendations for a hard drive from Amazon?

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

Wonder if anyone can help?
    I went to update the firmware and now its stuck on 55%.
    Can i turn it off and try again or would that kill the system?
    any help be great thanks

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

finno wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can help?
    I went to update the firmware and now its stuck on 55%.
    Can i turn it off and try again or would that kill the system?
    any help be great thanks

Can you telnet or ssh to it still?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

couple of questions on this:
    How noisy is it?
    Can you put a HD in it with out needing to reformat it?

Scruff wrote: »
    How noisy is it?
    Noisy enough.. I'd have it in a seperate room if possible (mine is in the hall).
    Scruff wrote: »
    Can you put a HD in it with out needing to reformat it?
    Fraid not.. it would have to be reformatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SteM

Has anyone used one of these with a Squeezebox player? I have a few players and am currently streaming the music from my desktop, but that means the desktop has to be on when I want the music. I know that there's a Squeezecentre package with the Zyxel but as anyone used it? Is it any good?

Basq wrote: »

Found out what I was doing wrong! Was adding it as a upnp instead of a windows network! All files showing up fine now! wasted many hours with various sd card images over such a simple thing! Off to Edinburgh for the weekend now though so don't get a chance to play with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

SteM wrote: »
    Has anyone used one of these with a Squeezebox player? I have a few players and am currently streaming the music from my desktop, but that means the desktop has to be on when I want the music. I know that there's a Squeezecentre package with the Zyxel but as anyone used it? Is it any good?

Have been using it to as Squeezecentre and works well. Only thing is that the NSA updated firmware yesterday and can't access the web configurator since. Can ftp to it and connect to Squeezecentre. Any one any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭SteM

cgc5483 wrote: »
    SteM wrote: »

Have been using it to as Squeezecentre and works well. Only thing is that the NSA updated firmware yesterday and can't access the web configurator since. Can ftp to it and connect to Squeezecentre. Any one any ideas?

Cheers, think I'll pick one up.

Amatuer Hour: How do you add an rss torrent feed? I add the url but it just downloads it? is that added? hardly? (never could use them before as my old media player couldn't play the .H264 files but the pi can) frustrating have been googling for ages but can't find clear instructions... I'm sure it's very simple!

• Advertisement

Amatuer Hour: How do you add an rss torrent feed? I add the url but it just downloads it? is that added? hardly? (never could use them before as my old media player couldn't play the .H264 files but the pi can) frustrating have been googling for ages but can't find clear instructions... I'm sure it's very simple!
    Not near it at the moment to tell you exactly, but from the top of my head... you add an RSS feed under Broadcasting, and it'll then list in contents alongside it.

Found the manual online so took a screenshot of the relevent bits..

broadcatching.jpg

Advertisement