Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXEL NSA310 1-Bay NAS Media Server (With 500GB HDD) - €90.37 delivered [Dabs.ie]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's worth pointing out that your data is not especially safe on one of these, and you should still back up the family photos etc to DVD-R.
    Keith186 wrote: »
    Dual bay NAS going cheap on Amazon which will let you do a RAID set up.

Not sure if I need it at all myself. Havent ordered yet...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-ShareCenter-Network-Storage-Enclosure/dp/B004AIWOXY/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330342886&sr=1-1
    I have one of these with 2 x 1TB drives installed in a RAID 1 config. What is nice is that if you only have 1 drive to begin with you can add a 2nd later and make them both into a RAID 1 array without having to wipe anything. It consumes 5 watts when not in use too (the main reason for buying it), tho from reading the reviews it seems it's not the best choice for Mac users, but I have found it works perfectly for me.

With a RAID 1 array the chances of data loss is greatly reduced. If a drive has a 5% chance of failure within 3 years, then 2 drives in a RAID 1 array have a 0.25% chance of failure, but in reality it is less as if one drive fails it will be replaced before the second drive has a chance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's worth pointing out that your data is not especially safe on one of these, and you should still back up the family photos etc to DVD-R.

I have one of these with 2 x 1TB drives installed in a RAID 1 config. What is nice is that if you only have 1 drive to begin with you can add a 2nd later and make them both into a RAID 1 array without having to wipe anything. It consumes 5 watts when not in use too (the main reason for buying it), tho from reading the reviews it seems it's not the best choice for Mac users, but I have found it works perfectly for me.

With a RAID 1 array the chance of data loss are greatly reduced. If a drive has a 5% chance of failure within 3 years, then 2 drive in a RAID 1 array have a 0.25% chance of failure, but in reality it is less as if one drive fails it will be replaced before the second drive has a chance to.

DVD-R!!!

What's that!!!

Joking aside, For the important stuff, Online is your best choice, Even in multiple places with different cloud services like DropBox.

But more towards the NAS. I have been reading about it and it does seem possible to install Sabnzbd onto this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Thor wrote: »
    DVD-R!!!

What's that!!!

Joking aside, For the important stuff, Online is your best choice,
    See, with real fault tolerance the need for backups is greatly reduced. All my important stuff is on my RAID 1 box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Will this work with the boxee?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol_

bought one of these the other day got it deliever yesterday, nice bit of kit, tried using the copy sync on it to transfer over from my old media drive with 950gig of stuff and its failed twice on me so far, at around 170 gig and 200 gig. think i might have to manually transfer the data across, only down side to it so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mine arrived today and set up reasonably easily.

Only problem is there is no instructions on how to use the device!

How do I move files from my laptop to the NSA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Got dispatch email monday but still havent got it:(

Does anyone know what number i use to track my order?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mine arrived today and set up reasonably easily.

Only problem is there is no instructions on how to use the device!

How do I move files from my laptop to the NSA ?
    Jaysus.. if you can't manage that, I don't know how good this item will be to you.

There's a quick start guide which should give you an outline - in work so can't explain it in detail, but google Mapping Network Drives.
    Does anyone know what number i use to track my order?
    In the e-mail you got with dispatch, it should have: www.dpd.co.uk/tracking/trackingSearch.do?search.searchType=1&search.consignmentNumber=XXXXXXXXX

That link should let you track it.

If it didn't come with that consignment number (mine didn't), e-mail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

ANybody have success doing the back up method via usb? How long would it take for 1tb do ya reckon? Haven't got a disk yet or set it up but just curious! Disk is ordered.

• Advertisement

Got dispatch email monday but still havent got it:(

Thats weird.

I ordered Tuesday night, Dispatched Wednesday and got it today.

Just about to install sab onto it.

So hopefully that goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Basq wrote: »
    Jaysus.. if you can't manage that, I don't know how good this item will be to you.

There's a quick start guide which should give you an outline - in work so can't explain it in detail, but google Mapping Network Drives.

In the e-mail you got with dispatch, it should have: www.dpd.co.uk/tracking/trackingSearch.do?search.searchType=1&search.consignmentNumber=XXXXXXXXX

Got is sorted and found a soft copy of the manual on the disk.
    I'm backing up the laptops as i write.

btw....my name isn't Jayus !

If you log into your order on dabs you can go to tracking and see where your drive is.

My e-mail only has 'www.dpd.co.uk/tracking/trackingSearch.do?search.searchType=1&search.consignmentNumber='

It doesnt have the consignment number! I emailed cclonline about it

My e-mail only has 'www.dpd.co.uk/tracking/trackingSearch.do?search.searchType=1&search.consignmentNumber='

It doesnt have the consignment number! I emailed cclonline about it

Same as me, I contacted them the day it was dispatched and they said they didn't have it and would send it to me in the morning.

They never did.

So I contacted again that day and again they didn't have it yet at the time of reply and said he would said it over to me later that day. He never did.

Contacted them today and what do you know, the package arrived before he got back to me with the tracking number.

The agent i was dealing with was named Nowell.

So chances are if you email them, he will be the one you get in contact with.

Same thing happened me Thor..

.. and it was Nowell too! :)

Same thing happened me Thor..

.. and it was Nowell too! :)

:D Got to love there customer service.

I'm looking forward to hearing from this guy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

Will this work with a mac?

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

finno wrote: »
    Will this work with a mac?
    Yep, am using it with a Mac myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭finno

Yep, am using it with a Mac myself.

Great just bought one

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement

Quick question for anyone that got one.

Does yours say TDC on the front have looks different than the Zyxel one in the picture.

Everything is the same except the mine only has two lights, the power button and copy and sync button.

Shouldn't make a difference, but just wondering why it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Mine is the same as the picture - 6 lights (including the power button), and 2 buttons (power and copy/sync).

Would anyone consider it a little noisy? I have it set to wind down the HDD after 5 minutes of inactivity, but even after that there's still a constant hum. The power, system, and HDD lights are always on too, and the LAN lights at the back flash every so often. Just wondering if that's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Mine is the same as the picture - 6 lights (including the power button), and 2 buttons (power and copy/sync).

Would anyone consider it a little noisy? I have it set to wind down the HDD after 5 minutes of inactivity, but even after that there's still a constant hum. The power, system, and HDD lights are always on too, and the LAN lights at the back flash every so often. Just wondering if that's normal.
    This is what I was talking about with my 221. I have mine near my sofa and the constant noise got too much. I ended up switching off all the extra features and now I use it just as a network drive (nice and quiet). If I had it in another room maybe it wouldn't bother me as much but tbh it would bother me that the lifetime (MTTF) of my drives might be reduced.

To be honest, I think it's suprisingly quiet. Use a 5 bay Thecus N5200 in work which regularly retails for close to a grand... and it's quieter than that.

I have mine in a separate room too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I have it in a hallway, so it wouldn't distract me if I'm streaming media. It's noticeable though, so I was just concerned mine might be dodgy, or it wasn't shutting down properly because of other things on the network keeping it awake.

Are the three lights still on on yours, Basq, when it's not in use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Can't see why not.. once the drive is mapped to your PC, you could just set your download path in JDownloader as the mapped drive,

Just read this again. That means I'd have to keep my laptop on over night as well.

Would love if I could have JDownloader on the NAS itself? I suppose you'd have to have an OS on it then?

Also, I wonder would my tablet pick this up for streaming. The tablet would obviously need a client to connect to the NAS.

What I've been looking for for a long time now is a low powered box with utorrent & JDownloader with storage on it so I could free up my laptop.

Are the three lights still on on yours, Basq, when it's not in use?
    Yeah.. but they should be.

Power (top-blue light) indicates it's currently powered on.
    Sys (next green light) indicates that it's system / network is online.
    HDD (next green light) indicates that a hard drive is installed.
    AntiRip wrote: »
    Would love if I could have JDownloader on the NAS itself? I suppose you'd have to have an OS on it then?
    It does support a couple of the one-click hosting sites like Rapidshare directly..

.. where would you typically be downloading from using JDownloader for?
    Also, I wonder would my tablet pick this up for streaming. The tablet would obviously need a client to connect to the NAS.
    What tablet do you have? There's bound to be a media player application for it that supports mapped drives on it.. there's a couple of them for the iPad alone.
    What I've been looking for for a long time now is a low powered box with utorrent & JDownloader with storage on it so I could free up my laptop.
    It supports torrents and RSS feeds so that's covered.. but I'm not sure what exactly one-click hosting sites it supports bar Rapidshare and the now defunct Megaupload.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I'm quite new to the whole NAS thing but my uses for it would be very much the same as AntiRips.

Would people reckon this is a good one to go for or would I be better off getting one with multiple bays?

Ideally, I'd like to use it to manage downloads and sort the files into the appropriate folders, is this easily achievable?

Also, is it possible to access files from this if I was elsewhere, i.e would I be able to stream my home movies if I was in a different country?

Would people reckon this is a good one to go for or would I be better off getting one with multiple bays?
    I don't see the need for multiple bays to be honest.. if you're storing crucial data on it, then possibly.
    Ideally, I'd like to use it to manage downloads and sort the files into the appropriate folders, is this easily achievable?
    Well, I've mine set up with RSS feeds so it downloads directly into a video share with the RSS feed name as a folder, and in a subfolder incoming (as indicated below):

NSA 310
    -> video
    --> Lost
    ---> incoming
    ----> Lost.S01E01.avi
    Also, is it possible to access files from this if I was elsewhere, i.e would I be able to stream my home movies if I was in a different country?
    Yep, you can install this on the NSA310.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

That's me sold on it, thanks very much.

Advertisement