Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Music tracks that sound like other Music tracks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Smells like teen spirit, Nirvana and More than a feeling ,Boston
    Three steps to heaven, Eddie Cochrane and Queen bitch, David Bowie
    Oh Well, Fleetwood Mac and Beating around the bush , AC DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Saying Nevermind was hugely successful doesn't say anything about whether it was innovative or not. Reality is it was nothing new unlike other celebrated albums. I don't like Hotel Calafornia but I still understand the importance and innovation involved. Very repetitive album.

Punk really was nowhere near as important as claimed. It was really two different movements with UK punk and US punk really not being the same thing. It was quite short lived and the biggest change it made was really people saw the importance of being able to play your instruments. Heavey Metal has had a longer and bigger impact. I like punk but if you actually were around you would know it was not the way it is described now. You would see bands were not that influenced by punk directly and primarily took from the same sources not punk itself.

I didn't mention anything about the commercial success of Nevermind but the record certainly was innovative but more importantly influential. It literally inspired a whole generation to pick up an instrument and form a band.

I don't know why you're of the opinion that Nirvana offered nothing new. Angular guitars, fantastic stream of conscious lyrics, sometimes disturbing imagery and subject manner, massive choruses; the patent really of the loud chorus/quiet verse formula, tapping into the well spring of disaffected youth, a healthy DIY attitude... I could go on and on.

I don't really care for Punk. It had it's breakout in the time you are talking about and it shone brightly. The Sex Pistols were, to be frank, a load of bollocks, pun intended, but again, massively influential and punk still is, whether your poison be Rancid or Blink 182.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Someone mentioned Underworld - Born Slippy. Born Slippy is sampled from an early 90s dance tune, the name of which I cannot remember, but the piano keys are just slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

2ndcoming wrote: »

X

Doesn't bother me too much, still one of my favourite Oasis tunes.

I don't really care for Punk. It had it's breakout in the time you are talking about and it shone brightly. The Sex Pistols were, to be frank, a load of bollocks, pun intended, but again, massively influential and punk still is, whether your poison be Rancid or Blink 182.

Have you ever listened to it ? NMTB stands up today as a phenomenal piece of music which put prog rock to bed and laid the foundations for bands like Nirvana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where there's a hit there's a writ.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Streuth!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

moonage wrote: »

Reminded me of these

I don't know why you're of the opinion that Nirvana offered nothing new. Angular guitars, fantastic stream of conscious lyrics, sometimes disturbing imagery and subject manner, massive choruses; the patent really of the loud chorus/quiet verse formula, tapping into the well spring of disaffected youth, a healthy DIY attitude... I could go on and on.

I'd give the Pixies the credit for that.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    Reminded me of these

Led Zeppelin anyone ?

Have you ever listened to it ? NMTB stands up today as a phenomenal piece of music which put prog rock to bed and laid the foundations for bands like Nirvana.

Yes I have.

The album is iconic and memorable of course, but The Sex Pistols never really "meant it" if you know what I mean. You only have to look at the 96 Filthy Lucre tour and John Lydon selling butter as evidence of that.

Still a great band.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yes I have.

The album is iconic and memorable of course, but The Sex Pistols never really "meant it" if you know what I mean. You only have to look at the 96 Filthy Lucre tour and John Lydon selling butter as evidence of that.

Still a great band.

I think JR meant it. Would have been a proper band if they didn’t kick GM out for Sid. That’s when it became a little bit of a joke, barely able to do a live show. Still, they gave it some bollocks. NMtB is a wonder. Love it.

Reminded me of these

Maybe but certainly Nirvana made it popular.

KungPao wrote: »
    I think JR meant it. Would have been a proper band if they didn’t kick GM out for Sid. That’s when it became a little bit of a joke, barely able to do a live show. Still, they gave it some bollocks. NMtB is a wonder. Love it.

Yeah, Matlock seems to have been the main songwriter but McClaren thought he was boring and brought Sid in , but by this time most of NMTB had been written . The Pistols at heart were a serious band, Lydon being a great frontman, but corrupted by McClaren. Jones was a groundbreaking guitarist heavily influenced by 50s icons like Eddie Cochrane whom they covered and from where a lot of their trademark heavy chord driven sound came.

Reminded me of these

This defines that genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrqMdja4eYs

• Advertisement

Not so much people robbing from Nirvana and those accused would really be taking from the original people Nirvana took the song from.

I remember the first time I heard Nevermind. Found it utterly boring and effectively just 3 songs reworked that they had ripped off from other people. Popular but not innovative and far too much retrospective importance added to them due Cobain's death.

Lazy journalism rewrites music history all the time. Punk is made out to have changed everything when it didn't sell very well and Prog Rock vastly more popular at the time.

I love hearing myths being busted like this. Sucks when you know the truth whereas the world buys the myth though.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

thats kinda reproducing the effects with modern technology, I'd love to see it done with samplers and equipment of the time...

It would be done in exactly the same way but with the ears used in place of the eyes. The software is often just emulations of the hardware used. These software copies of hardware improved the work flow for almost everyone who makes music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I didn't mention anything about the commercial success of Nevermind but the record certainly was innovative but more importantly influential. It literally inspired a whole generation to pick up an instrument and form a band.

It is quite sad what you have attributed to Nirvana. You would have to ignore the existence of The Doors and the Velvet Underground for most of your claims there. Bauhaus didn't exist either and the entire goth movement apparently didn't exist either. Nirvana did NOTHING innovative. What you are suggesting is akin to saying One Direction invented pop music

Blink 182 have really nothing to do with the Sex Pistols and everything to do with the Ramones. Skate Punk is a form of pop music derived from American punk, ska and pop.

We won't agree but I was about before Nirvana and listened to a lot of music owning albums by the british band Nirvana and initially surprised to hear people suddenly talking about them. Some 13 year old hearing a band doesn't mean they know about music history and it will sound new to them. Doesn't make it actually new.

Bread out sold the Sex Pistol in th 70s as did ELO and Boney M. Punk truly overrated in popularity and influence. Sex Pistils were never the best punk band and were manufactured like the Monkees. Even The Clash were basically a manufactured band turning to punk as a way to sell music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

This one is personal to me as Larry was my friend and Gerry Rafferty made over 40 million Sterling in royalties from it.

Larry Coryell Half A Heart 1975 album

Larry coryell with Steve marcus 1968

Baker street 1978

• Advertisement

It is quite sad what you have attributed to Nirvana. You would have to ignore the existence of The Doors and the Velvet Underground for most of your claims there. Bauhaus didn't exist either and the entire goth movement apparently didn't exist either. Nirvana did NOTHING innovative. What you are suggesting is akin to saying One Direction invented pop music

Blink 182 have really nothing to do with the Sex Pistols and everything to do with the Ramones. Skate Punk is a form of pop music derived from American punk, ska and pop.

We won't agree but I was about before Nirvana and listened to a lot of music owning albums by the british band Nirvana and initially surprised to hear people suddenly talking about them. Some 13 year old hearing a band doesn't mean they know about music history and it will sound new to them. Doesn't make it actually new.

Bread out sold the Sex Pistol in th 70s as did ELO and Boney M. Punk truly overrated in popularity and influence. Sex Pistils were never the best punk band and were manufactured like the Monkees. Even The Clash were basically a manufactured band turning to punk as a way to sell music.

What's sad about it? why are you comparing Nirvana to The Doors and The Velvet Underground?

Yes, there was a surrealism to both those acts; Lou Reed was as out there and schziprenhic as you could get. I never cared for the Doors much the same way as you don't for Nirvana.

Nirvana's music was much more immediate and accessible while still having that underlying sense of weird and that's a big reason why, again, Nevermind blew up the way it did.

The punk thing isn't really relevant to the debate, also I never said Blink were directly influenced by the Pistols.

Just out of curiosity, what do you/did you think of Grunge in general?

This one is personal to me as Larry was my friend and Gerry Rafferty made over 40 million Sterling in royalties from it.

Larry Coryell Half A Heart 1975 album

Larry coryell with Steve marcus 1968

Baker street 1978

Why didn't he sue?

https://youtu.be/1LtFNvRkwao

https://youtu.be/h4-lKMGII_k

Never understood how they won a song contest with what was clearly a rip off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Most dance tracks today sound like disco and Chicago house from the 70s up until the mid 90s

There's tracks unheard of by the majority of people and they're being sampled left right and center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

A lot depends on when you were born, I came of age just as punk took off and thus my musical taste has been hugely influenced by it as well as my perception of music and maybe history, I have over the years gained a deeper appreciation of all genres and their roots but I have to draw a line at prog, Irish Country ,MOR ,Hair metal ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think you're conflating sales with influence tbh. Hall & Oates are the biggest selling duo in music history but would you suggest they are more influential than Simon & Garfunkel, for example? And out of curiosity what music did the Clash play before they turned to punk? If they were all about selling their music, why did they insist on boycotting top of the pops?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fight Test by The Flaming Lips sounds like Father & Son by Cat Stevens. They had to give a settlement to Stevens awarding him 75% of royalties for the song.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Loud chorus quiet verse thing was more attributed to The Pixies I would have thought. I don't disagree with your overall point about how influential they were though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Iggie

Bruce Springsteen - We take care of our own

V

The Lightning Seeds - Life of Reilly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

White Stripes def listened to this a few times.

More than a few times.

Maybe said already but any song by Will Smith.

The Passenger by Iggy Pop

V

Save tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry.

Same riff.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Loud chorus quiet verse thing was more attributed to The Pixies I would have thought. I don't disagree with your overall point about how influential they were though.

I only say that because both bands more or less started off at the same time and I would argue that Nirvana made it popular to the masses.

I only say that because both bands more or less started off at the same time and I would argue that Nirvana made it popular to the masses.

It was made popular by Led Zeppelin 20 years earlier but as new generations of listeners came along it was acquired by and reused by contemporary bands and really that is what the thread is all about . In reality a lot of the chord structures had been used by the old bluesmen and were regurgitated by admirers, imitators and plagiarists.

I think you're conflating sales with influence tbh. Hall & Oates are the biggest selling duo in music history but would you suggest they are more influential than Simon & Garfunkel, for example? And out of curiosity what music did the Clash play before they turned to punk? If they were all about selling their music, why did they insist on boycotting top of the pops?

No I am not mixing up sales and influence. To say Nirvana created styles and elements well established some 25 years before requires ignorance. I don't blame kids listening but if you review back you can see they did nothing new.

Clash used propaganda as did the Pistols. Happens all the time. Beastie Boys, NWA, Simon and Garfunkel etc... all changed styles to sell records. It is the music business first and artistic credibility are way low on the list.

Chances are you have read books or magazine articles about music. What I am pointing out is that such stuff is revisionist. When Nevermind came out people in actual bands weren't jumping on it saying this is the best. They were surprised that such rehashed work was getting such recognission. A few years later the next young bands were somewhat influenced but any that became serious knew by then it was not original. Very like Oasis not being original but people still loved them.

I remember I was listen to music and somebody said it was a rip off of Soundgarden. I was listening to Led Zeppelin! You don't have to be trapped in the music if your youth and defend it just accept what it was. Nirvana maybe what you first heard certain elements but they certainly didn't invent it or even advance it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Identical intro, right down to the funky wah-wah guitars.

They may have started around the same time but The Pixies were selling music in quantity well before Nirvana. They had neraly split up by the time Nirvana were suddenly becoming popular primarily based on a hit single. The catchy hit had more to do with their popularity than innovative style or influence. They didn't make it popular to the masses just some devouted fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No I am not mixing up sales and influence. To say Nirvana created styles and elements well established some 25 years before requires ignorance. I don't blame kids listening but if you review back you can see they did nothing new.

Clash used propaganda as did the Pistols. Happens all the time. Beastie Boys, NWA, Simon and Garfunkel etc... all changed styles to sell records. It is the music business first and artistic credibility are way low on the list.

Chances are you have read books or magazine articles about music. What I am pointing out is that such stuff is revisionist. When Nevermind came out people in actual bands weren't jumping on it saying this is the best. They were surprised that such rehashed work was getting such recognission. A few years later the next young bands were somewhat influenced but any that became serious knew by then it was not original. Very like Oasis not being original but people still loved them.

I remember I was listen to music and somebody said it was a rip off of Soundgarden. I was listening to Led Zeppelin! You don't have to be trapped in the music if your youth and defend it just accept what it was. Nirvana maybe what you first heard certain elements but they certainly didn't invent it or even advance it.

No, not quibbling at all with your nirvana comments, they sound more than plausible to me. Musically, i personally dont see punk as being very revolutionary at all. The Clash borrowed heavily from The Who and other 60s mods, as well as a host of others. London Calling was, in part, a formal recognition of those influences and a deliberate attempt to place the band themselves in the long musical tradition, not one that had just sprung up a couple of years before. But punk was revolutionary in the totality of its aspects, how that music was played and how it related to its social milieu. The Clash didnt have even one top 10 UK hit in the life of the band, but its influence far outstripped that, not just in the UK but across europe. Nor did they just haphazardly choose punk because they thought it would sell records. The Pistols supported Joe Strummers band the 101ers in early 76 and that was Strummers epiphany about where music was going and he wanted part of it. You can call it manufactured if you like, but strummer, jones et al were going to be in bands whatever happened and the chemistry was just exactly right. I dont know how they could have had a previous style, as punk was what they played from the start before deviating into other forms.

• Advertisement

It was made popular by Led Zeppelin 20 years earlier but as new generations of listeners came along it was acquired by and reused by contemporary bands and really that is what the thread is all about . In reality a lot of the chord structures had been used by the old bluesmen and were regurgitated by admirers, imitators and plagiarists.

You can't remotely compare the two acts in that regard.

They may have started around the same time but The Pixies were selling music in quantity well before Nirvana. They had neraly split up by the time Nirvana were suddenly becoming popular primarily based on a hit single. The catchy hit had more to do with their popularity than innovative style or influence. They didn't make it popular to the masses just some devouted fans.

By that logic your problem should be with The Pixies then for "ripping off" The Velvet Underground and The Doors.

The Pixies were never as mainstream popular as Nirvana.

You don't like grunge, fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

You can't remotely compare the two acts in that regard.

No to be fair , I wouldn't be a massive Pixies fan and Zeppelin on their early albums produced a more sophisticated version of what the Pixies sought to achieve .

By that logic your problem should be with The Pixies then for "ripping off" The Velvet Underground and The Doors.

The Pixies were never as mainstream popular as Nirvana.

You don't like grunge, fair enough.
    I am not claiming the Pixies were innovative. They were popular before Nirvana who just happened to become more popular. To say they started at the same time is the issue I had. They did start close to each other but that is not the same as saying they were on the international music scene at the same time.

Grunge was fine but basically just rock music. Personally Peral Jam's 10 was better than Nevermind. People in my circle definitely saw Nevermind as a kids album for those who didn't know much about music.

Nevermind was old hat to those who already were listening to the alternative music scene. There were better bands and Nirvana were just OK and certainly don't deserve the revisionists praise and retelling of what was going on. Lazy journalism has a lot to do with it.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »

In fairness the Hollies have writing credit for Creep. It does happen. Robert Palmer was recording a song he was writing. The sound engineer stopped him and said he needed to come with him. The went into the neighbouring recording studio and there was a guy recording basically the same song. Then he realised he was writing a song he had heard as a child but had forgotten.

I am not claiming the Pixies were innovative. They were popular before Nirvana who just happened to become more popular. To say they started at the same time is the issue I had. They did start close to each other but that is not the same as saying they were on the international music scene at the same time.

Grunge was fine but basically just rock music. Personally Peral Jam's 10 was better than Nevermind. People in my circle definitely saw Nevermind as a kids album for those who didn't know much about music.

Nevermind was old hat to those who already were listening to the alternative music scene. There were better bands and Nirvana were just OK and certainly don't deserve the revisionists praise and retelling of what was going on. Lazy journalism has a lot to do with it.

Fair enough.

I don't agree but you're entitled to your opinion on Nirvana.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

https://youtu.be/xZ3sDxn16AA Atzepeng - Paul Kalkbrenner

https://youtu.be/kqjLhDnbPf4 Welcome to heartbreak - Kanye West

• Advertisement
Advertisement