Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance and the NCT.

Options
  • 21-02-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

In the light of present difficulties with obtaining a completed NCT test certificate what are insurers doing about customers who have no NCT certificate because of the NCT themselves ?

I heard a lady on the radio yesterday who is currently awaiting completion of the NCT but seems unable to get a date prior to her motor insurance renewal date.
    Her insurers seem to have told her that there is no cover after renewal if there is no NCT certificate on the vehicle.

What is going on with insurers ? Is there no way that they can accommodate policyholders in this bind as a direct result of the NCT problem not caused by the policyholders.

This made me check my own policy. Fortunately, it does not seem to have an exclusionary condition relating to a current NCT certificate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »

This made me check my own policy. Fortunately, it does not seem to have an exclusionary condition relating to a current NCT certificate.

Re-check your policy for anything along the lines of complying with statutory regulations. The NCT is rarely specifically named

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

The only worth while answer you will get to your question will be from your own insurers.

I'd say they would get some **** from the powers that be if they start making claims awkward just because an nct was out of date and couldn't be completed because of the current issue that they are having, but that's just my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »

I heard a lady on the radio yesterday who is currently awaiting completion of the NCT but seems unable to get a date prior to her motor insurance renewal date.
    Her insurers seem to have told her that there is no cover after renewal if there is no NCT certificate on the vehicle.

I'll bet that whoever presented that show did not check that she was being 100% truthful.

Journalism standards both in press and radio are at an appallingly low level and if a story will get the ire of a listener, they run with it even if its cock and bull.

People want their minute of fame and want to come across as poor affected mary and an excuse to vent made up anger at the establishment

here's the statement from the insurance umbrella group which took me all of 5 seconds to locate
    https://www.insuranceireland.eu/news-and-publications/news-press-release/statement-from-insurance-ireland-regarding-ncts-announcement-of-a-temporary-discontinuance-of-elements-of-the-nct-test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

silver2020 wrote: »
    I'll bet that whoever presented that show did not check that she was being 100% truthful.

Journalism standards both in press and radio are at an appallingly low level and if a story will get the ire of a listener, they run with it even if its cock and bull.

People want their minute of fame and want to come across as poor affected mary and an excuse to vent made up anger at the establishment

here's the statement from the insurance umbrella group which took me all of 5 seconds to locate
    https://www.insuranceireland.eu/news-and-publications/news-press-release/statement-from-insurance-ireland-regarding-ncts-announcement-of-a-temporary-discontinuance-of-elements-of-the-nct-test

Does that statement from Insurance Ireland actually bind it's member co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

I purchased a car without an nct, but had half the test done.
    Rang insurer to swap cars ,told them that it's only half the test done.
    They said it's fine, that they'd put a note on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I heard the interview on the Joe Duffy show. In her circumstances, she had the car tested and a fault was detected and her car failed the test. Her problem is that, although she effected repairs, she cannot get it retested to confirm it is no longer defective. That is different to not having it tested in the first place.

Regardless of having a current NCT or not, the onus is on you to ensure you have a roadworthy vehicle. You cannot drive a detective vehicle and use the defence of no inspection being available

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Regardless of having a current NCT or not, the onus is on you to ensure you have a roadworthy vehicle. You cannot drive a detective vehicle and use the defence of no inspection being available

If a vehicle doesn't have a valid NCT it's can't be road worthy as it's not legally allowed on the road, apart from a few limited exemptions, so I'd be wary of driving without a valid NCT as they will cover 3rd parties if involved in a RTC, but they can come after you for any money paid out. Having an NCT doesn't make a car road worthy but a car can't be road worthy without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Del2005 wrote: »
    If a vehicle doesn't have a valid NCT it's can't be road worthy as it's not legally allowed on the road, apart from a few limited exemptions, so I'd be wary of driving without a valid NCT as they will cover 3rd parties if involved in a RTC, but they can come after you for any money paid out. Having an NCT doesn't make a car road worthy but a car can't be road worthy without one.
    That is supposition on you part, and contradicts what the industry spokesperson has stated.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Esel wrote: »
    That is supposition on you part, and contradicts what the industry spokesperson has stated.

Read your policy documents they are all that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nothing about NCT in my policy. Some insurance companies do require the vehicle has a valid NCT. Others do not.

It may well be in your policy, but you are wrong to assume that all do.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

No. Common sense counts and public statements issued by the Insurance body counts. But some people just want to vent no matter how much information is there to counteract their opinion.
    I heard the interview on the Joe Duffy show. In her circumstances, she had the car tested and a fault was detected and her car failed the test. Her problem is that, although she effected repairs, she cannot get it retested to confirm it is no longer defective. That is different to not having it tested in the first place.

That's incorrect. I had nct 2 weeks ago. Headlamp aim failure (too low). It has to be retested within 28 days for that specific fail otherwise I will have to get a complete retest. Its written in black and white, so she either was unable to understand very simply written information, or she was like many Joe Duffy types - whine and moan even if its not the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Jesus wept. Are you seriously still posting this drivel ???
    An NCT (or lack of one) does not make a Car roadworthy. Some Insurers (a minority) will insist on a valid NCT if you are a 1st time customer, or if you are changing the Car insured with them.

Roadworthiness and a current NCT are two totally different things ;).

Advertisement